Leaving and/or cancelling sky club

interbear

Hi all. Are Sky supposed to send boxes to return their Sky Q kit? And if so, when do they do that. After the contract expiry date?

rorton

yeah, when my broadband contract finished, they sent a special box for the modem to go into, had a pocket for the modem, and a self sealing strip.

Im guessing the same will happen with the tv hardware, I have 3 minis and a 2tb master and 4 remotes so they better send a big enough box or I'll charge them storage :rotfl:

Ian182

Had an email from Sky last night with my broadband "options".
Take out a new 18 month contract for Sky Fibre Superfast - £30 a month.
Do nothing - £35 a month.

Who in their right mind would pay that? I know they rely massively on inertia, but really annoys me that they don't just offer the same prices that Now and Voda offer for renewing. Would save the hassle of having to change suppliers every time your contract ends.

Tingo

Is there a way to cancel without talking to anyone. Are there any free sat boxes that use the sky dish. Thanks.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Is there a way to cancel without talking to anyone. Are there any free sat boxes that use the sky dish. Thanks.
I assume you mean a dish fitted with a Sky Q lnb in which case…

interbear

My 31 days notice expires on 3rd March. Sky haven’t offered any deal to retain my custom after 21 non-stop years as a customer. Last night I removed the Sky Q and mini boxes and installed the new Freesat recorder box on the main TV. Works just fine. And the picture quality on HD channels is actually much better than via the Sky Q box it replaced, which is a pleasant surprise.

So that’s me now moved to Freesat for live TV and everything else will be streamed via Apple TV 4K - Netflix, Prime, Disney and Apple TV+. Trialling Now TV also.

Ian182

With comedy timing, Sky have emailed me my price rises for TV and broadband today…
About an hour after I’d ordered Now Broadband and had the confirmation through from both Now and Sky.
I’ll (finally) reach the date that I can give 31 days notice for TV tomorrow. Spent the last couple of weeks using the Freeview box only, and haven’t felt the need to flip back to the Sky Q box at all.

Ian182

Getting hold of them isn’t easy is it?
90 minutes on Live Chat so far, haven’t reached a human yet. Tried calling and was told that was around 45 minute wait.
Yet another reason that I can’t wait to be done with Sky.

jacckdaw

Best way is to email them when your contract is nearly up. They have to contact you then and it's better than waiting hours on the phone to actually speak to a human being. That's what I did and they contacted me within three days . Made no attempt to pursuade me to stay. Switch of date is 28th of this month. Then it's freesat for the occasional live TV watching. Only really watched football live on sky q so no great loss. Cheaper to get a monthly pass from NOW than what you pay for from sky themselves. Yes no 4k on NOW but small price to pay for the amount of money I will be saving. Plus no contact to worry about..I doubt I will go back to sky as it no longer tally's with my viewing habits . Served me well enough over the years,no complaints,just to expensive and to many cheaper alternatives now

Ian182

Got through to someone after around 2 hours, and he sorted the cancellation with a minimum of fuss. He did finish by trying to sell me a Sky Mobile SIM though! Services will end of 4th April.

Making some progress with Peacock for the football. Got it into my Shield now by creating a US Google account and switching Play Store whilst connected to VPN. Will sign up for a month and see if it works; if not it’s only cost me $4.99.

jole26

Sky Q has it's advantages, such as more HD channels, slicker interface, but it's lost a lot of content to the streamers recently. The cost is no longer justified for me.

Overall I'd say my new Humax Aura box has a lot more it's better at, such as a screensaver (none on Q - has Sky heard of OLED?), 1 button press to get to favourites (Q is 5 button presses. This irritated me everyday using Q), No handshake issues (Q would regularly need a tv reboot).

I still have Netflix, Apple and now Peacock for the footy. I'll be dipping in and out of other streaming services as and when there is content I'm interested in. Really not missing Sky at all and financially far better off.

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
After 21 years with Sky TV, I cancelled my contract on Friday, easy to do and luckily I only had to wait for 20 minutes for them to answer :rotfl:
We just don’t watch enough anymore to justify it. Instead I am having a new aerial put up and I have a Manhattan T3-r freeview box coming tomorrow. It’s a £275 outlay but is still cheaper than Sky and going forward my yearly cost will be zero.
I did look at the freesat boxes but the reviews on here and Amazon look appalling.

With the continued trend for people moving to streaming services SKY have a real problem, their pricing even with huge discounts is insane.

logiciel

Why do you need a box?
TVs do FV and recording.

logiciel

Sorry you've had problems. There's so little need for recording on any device these days though.

RobM

Distinguished Member
It’s all personal preference, isn’t it. I’m in this same situation - notice given yesterday and now trying to decide whether to go for Freesat or Freeview, which means forcing ourselves to think about what we really need and use. Recording isn’t mandatory but it’s something we’ve come to rely on, so it’ll be a bit too jarring to lose that as well as the other Sky Q benefits.

But… the cost is daft these days, so unless Sky call with a superb offer in the next couple of weeks, I’m done.

My TV has Freeview and Freesat built in, but doesn’t work with the wideband LNB so I’m probably going to get a Freesat box and have Freeview on the TV. When combined with AppleTV and native apps on the TV it should give us everything we need.

craigt1971

Sorry you've had problems. There's so little need for recording on any device these days though.
Oh yes, I agree with that. It was over a year ago when I tried out the USB recording. But when my Sky viewing stops on 2nd May I'll be watching live or catch up via streaming. Can't wait to save ££s

jole26

Personal preference is spot on. I do find it odd that some people can't understand that not everyone's need is the same as theirs.

Personally I don't want to rely on crappy catch-up apps with catch-up content disappearing. I'd rather record what I want from the EPG and watch it when I choose to. I'm happy to fork out for something that has multiple tuners, plenty of hard drive space and a nice interface that keeps it all tidy and in one place.

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
Why do you need a box?
TVs do FV and recording.
My projector hasn’t got a tuner.
I want to record as you can’t skip adds with streaming.

craigt1971

Not that I had any doubts about giving my notice when I did, but today got a price increase letter for my remaining month “so they can give the best experience possible”. Over the last year they’ve lost a lot of content to streaming companies but think they can charge more, they still charge like they are the only alternative to Freeview…..

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022