Leaving amps on

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JayBee, Dec 11, 2002.

1. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst looking through the miriade of information about home cinema systems, I came across some tips for getting the best out of your system. One of these was that it is better to leave your amp on, so the electrics are already warmed up when you come to listening next time round.

I can understand the logic behind this, but I'm not sure if the tip meant that you shouldn't switch the amp of at the mains but you can put it into standby, or whether it shouldn't even be put into standby.

Thanks.

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    They´re suggesting you leave it switched ON all the time. Some people do, some don´t. Personally, I switch mine OFF after using it.

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My transformer on my Denon 3801 used to create a humming noice if it was switched on from cold so I used to just mute the amp.

Also one of my friends had an Arcam amp don't remember which model and that sounded terrible for about 15 minutes, there was popping and scratching sounds and it was nasty, that really had to stay on all the time.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,526
    leave the power amp on all the time. only been powered off about 3 times (for around 30 minutes each time) since i bought it in Feb this year!

5. CharlieNash

CharlieNash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I leave mine on all the time, I put it in standby when I'm not home or in bed.

In standby it's ice cold, so it's basically powered down.

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only time I switch mine off is when I go away for a few days. Its all down to the individual though has there are pro's and con's for either way.

7. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I always turn mine off as their is that SLIGHT high pitch they give off which really bugs me when im trying to sleep.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,526
    not heard this on any amp's i've owned...

9. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Pre/Pro, Power Amps, Sky, Tivo, Video, DVD, HCPC, BFD & Projector all on all the time (PJ & DVD in standby) keeps everything nice and warm, including my "comms room" :) Less stress on components also due to limited power up/down.

Steve

10. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think what he means is that some amps have 3 modes, on / off/ standby.

the question therefore is;

Is on (standby) as good as on(on) in relation to leaving the amp on for sound quality (to save a warmup period).

I know it was recomended to me that the amps I have require a 1/2 hour warm up to sound their best and I do not unplug them after every use but just switch them to standby. I am also interested on peoples thoughts on any benifits to be gained from using standby rather than turning off.

As well as warmup there is also the issue of longevity because of the expansion and contraction of the circuits due to turning the item on and off (but again as I understand it the real world effects of this are still debatable).

Cheers
    RB

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,526
    most power amps have a choice of on or off....

12. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimblock - that's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

I'm getting the Yamaha 630 (currently waiting for delivery - seeming to take an age :mad: ), which has power on/off and standby on the remote (like most devices, such as the TV). My natural inclination would be to switch the amp into standby using the remote, but would mean the components get cold.

From a post further up, it occurs to me that I could just put it in standby and see if the amps hot or cold a couple of hours later, and answer my own question. Doh! :rolleyes:

13. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Now this is what happens when I start typing a reply and go home without finishing it. Finished it off this morning and then found there were loads of replies from yesterday :D .

My three Cryus power amps all have 3 modes (on/off and standby) as does all my AV equipment.

I leave it all in standby (for ease of use rather than anything else).

Cheers
    RB

14. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Standby can be just about anything. What is important is keeping the components at operating temperature and most standby modes will NOT do this. Some that I have seen send small amounts of current through key circuits but the main power amplification components remain cold. A few, including many TVs, use nearly as much (or a significant portion of) electricity in standby as in on mode. These are probably keeping most components at or near operating temperature.

If I had a decent amp, and I don't at the mo, I would leave the power amp on, if possible, or on standby if that was warm rather than cold standby. All the other components, IMHO, would not benefit as much as power equipment from being kept on all the time as they usually run cooler and can be brought up to operating temp very quickly.

15. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and here is a reason you may not want to leave your more advanced digital equipment on all the time! :eek:

16. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and I thought that link was going to be a picture of a TV on fire or something...:rolleyes:

surely from a safety point of view it's better to have everything off... the only thing I leave in standby is the VCR and that's just to hold onto the settings (and even that gets switched off if I'm away for more than a couple of days). Within 10 minutes or so of being switched on all my equipment sounds it's best... I don't like the idea of keeping my electrical goodies warm even if it does improve the life-expectancy of the equipment.

Don't a huge percentage of house fires start when a TV left in standby fails and starts the fire, i seem to remember its something like 35per cent. Also TV's use around 60per cent of the electricity that they do when they are being watched... so I also switch it off from a green point of view as well as a safety one.

and Jase this doesn't apply to you... living where you do your AV stuff is bound to be warm even if it's switched off!:D

17. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayBee,
    with Yamaha it may be smart to turn it off.
    Try to read the manual when you get it and if nothing inside contact Yamaha support (if you can come thru and if you get to the right person) and ask there.
    Of course if you go away for a longer time switch it off!