1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving a space between LCD and canton cd10 front speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by martind, Sep 9, 2005.

1. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    In the brochure that came with my Canton CD1 speakers, it says to position the cd10 front speakers 30cm from the edge of the tv screen.

My problem is that my LCD is wall mounted and all cabling is hidden, so if i do as canton say there will be visable speaker wire between the CD10 and LCD. Resulting in grief from the wife. Can i just ignore what Canton say and position the front speaker flush to the sides of the LCD??

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yes, but panning effects won't be as good. you could have them a lot further apart, say in corners?

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Its probably to do with them noit being magneticaly shielded, LCD's are immune to this were as CRT can have all sort od strange distortion when a dtrong magnet is near.

I'm not sure if plasma's can be effected in this way by the magent of the speaker, i suspect not though.

Anyway if your using an LCD then you don't need to worry.

As for better sound stage and 3d seperation then it would be ideal if they were further a part but if you can't.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    Only CRTs (including CRT RP, although effect is a different one) are affected by external magnetism. All others aren't.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    And the CD10s are sheilded. I've had conflicting advice about this - first one, speakers should be in an equal triangle with the main listening position. Second one, The left and right should be next to the sides of the screen to mirror the action. In a cinema all front 3 speakers (cough) are behind the screen.
    I would put them next to the screen if that's going to save you a lot of trouble.
    If you hate it then try chasing the wall and putting the cable in it, but that sounds like a lot of trouble for not much gain.

6. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's only conflicting if you have a small screen... ;)