1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leave it on or turn it off?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gargoyle, May 4, 2003.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I was told recently that it is a good idea to leave pc's on more or less permanently and apparently, a lot of people do, but is there any practical reason for doing so?
    Given that there are several moving components inside the pc (hd, fans), would'nt these wear out degrade or overheat?
    I use my pc primarily for games, internet and music so is there any practical reason for leaving mine on?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The fans should be more than capable of spinning continuously for ages if they are well made.

HDD's etc can be set to spin down when not in use.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I switch on & off my three PC's, usually three times a week. The oldest one is still working. There is no point leaving it on 24/7, unless required to do so.

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I leave one on 24/7 and Outlook downloads email every 10 mins, so I can check my mail quickly and easily, and check for new posts on the VB forums I moderate.
    I have never had any mechanical failure in the last 3 years, and the PC becomes outdated and needs upgrading/replacing for that reason.

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    One problem people - how much power does your computer consume if left on?
    And I can still not see the reason for leaving it on - surely its simpler to turn your computer on every time you intend to use it the way you'd turn your amp, tv etc on, and when you finish, shut it down - by this reasoning, you might as well leave your tv on at ALL times instead of leaving it in standby mode.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I leave all mine on at work but switch them off at home for power consumption reasons. I've never been too happy with Windows attempt at power saving as it used to cause lots of lock-ups and freezes - but would imagine that current Operating Systems behave much better

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    There are two lines of thought on this:

One if you keep switching on and of components they heat up and cool down, this is not really good for them epically the CPU. Also some PCI boards can work there way free and this have to be shoved back (even small amounts can in some cases cause failure).

On the other hand some components have a finite life expectancy so they may fail earlier than normal if powered up all the time.

A good analogy of these is a light bulb if you kept switching it on an of all the time it would not last long on the other hand if you kept it on all the time it burn out quicker than if you switched it if during the night when sleeping and daylight hours.

I switch my computer of if I’m going to leave it for any length of time but for short periods of time I leave it on.