Leather shoe care

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
I've just bought a couple of pairs of boots and I want to keep them in good condition for as long as possible.

What leather shoe care products do you use?

Can you recommend a decent boot polish and a decent brand of dubbin or are they all more or less the same?

Dave

Distinguished Member
jp_bl_68 said:
I've just bought a couple of pairs of boots and I want to keep them in good condition for as long as possible.

What leather shoe care products do you use?

Can you recommend a decent boot polish and a decent brand of dubbin or are they all more or less the same?

Ledergris, available from Altberg. Fantastic stuff.

I've had my boots for 4 years and they're still going very strong. So much so that the sole needs replacing but there's nothing wrong with the uppers.

mr:w

Depends on what finish the boots are mink oil is very good stuff, been using it on my Red Wings for a few years and they're about as waterproof as you can get.

Also get some shoe trees to keep the shape.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
Depends what type of leather they are. I bought some from Jones whichis a silicone liquid which is good.
I'm not sure what type of leather they're made of. My work boots are Dr Martens 1920s, their website says to use a wax-based polish.

Graham27

Might be worth going into a proper shoe shop or decent Cobblers to see what they recommend for your particular boots. It's easy to buy the wrong stuff, especially if you're not sure about what they're made of.

Something that's often overlooked is drying your shoes properly. So many people just come in from the wet and either leave their shoes soaking, or stick them near a heater. My missus did this with a new pair of boots, and they now have hard, dark areas where the boot creases. Rather than admit she's knackered them, she claims she prefers the weathered look :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom