Lease car damage after collection

Looks like it. What a scam. I can't prove anything obviously which is what is making me so angry!

Be seriously warned about leasing cars through Hitachi Capital.
I always take photos on my phone when I hire a car before I leave and after I drop off. it may be an idea to do the same for lease.

It's like renting a house, take photos when you move in, photos when you move out!

I did the same on my last lease. I took about 100 photos before they arrived for the check

I always take photos on my phone when I hire a car before I leave and after I drop off. it may be an idea to do the same for lease.

To be devil's advocate, what does a photo actually prove? Unless the pickup guy is in each photo, what's to say nothing happened to the car between you taking the photo and you giving it back? You could take a photo of the car the day you get it, stash it for three years, then send it to them after you hand it back and say 'look - immaculate'. Or do you put today's paper in each one maybe? :)

Last edited:
No I do it while the pick up person is there more so they don't get any ideas plus all photos are time stamped.

Yes if the person is there that must be the only way. Can't believe a timestamp means much in this day and age. Although I'm sure it would be tempting to do a bit of 'shopping out scratches :devil:

To be devil's advocate, what does a photo actually prove? Unless the pickup guy is in each photo, what's to say nothing happened to the car between you taking it and you giving it back? You could take a photo of the car the day you get it, stash it for three years, then send it to them after you hand it back and say 'look - immaculate'. Or do you put today's paper in each one maybe? :)

Was going to say timestamp as well but I guess I "could" have doctored those.

I guess it's more that it gives me a stronger position to argue from. If the lease company start trying it on at least they know I'm prepared and ready to fight. It's all leverage :)

In this case it didnt cost me a penny though so was all good

Just received this...

"Good Morning

Thank you for your email with regard to the End Of Contract Damage Charges

We have undertaken a further review of the Damage Appraisal and the photographic evidence provided and whilst our Agents have highlighted items as being outside of the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear standard, the photographic evidence is not entirely clear and therefore we have removed the charges.

The end of contract damage charges for XX64XXX now stand at zero.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention."

Just received this...

"Good Morning

We have undertaken a further review of the Damage Appraisal and the photographic evidence provided and whilst our Agents have highlighted items as being outside of the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear standard, the photographic evidence is not entirely clear and therefore we have removed the charges.

Thats a result. It's worth fighting back. I reckon a lot of companies just try it on to see if you will fold...

Yeah looks like it. The letter they sent had the photos attached but they were the size of a stamp and no use to anyone.

Just received this...

"Good Morning

Chancers.....

Bet for every one like you that did the correct thing and contested this there's probably 10 people that will pay.

Chancers.....

Bet for every one like you that did the correct thing and contested this there's probably 10 people that will pay.

Sadly that's probably true which is why practices like this will continue. Throw the net wide and see who you can catch!

Researching what to do I saw that the lease companies generate something like £45 million in excess damage charges per year.

Yeah they say the final check is done after collection when it gets to Mannheim Auctions.

Mannheim picked up my wife's 3 year old juke about 3 weeks back. The guys spent 45 mins inspecting the car including using a paint depth gauge!!! He said I was due around £250 worth of "damage" on first estimate but they would be in touch with a more detailed quote once back at base. I wrote on the inspection sheet that I disputed all/any charges.

Heard nothing so far from them

A friend of mine used to run a rental company franchise (actually a couple - both the same practices) - they billed for damage/cleaning (although were reasonable about what to bill for) but never spent it. So two people borrow a car and dent the same door - just pay to fix it once, or not at all and just sell it at auction or locally with the damage.

Yeah the guy went through my car like a forensic exam too which is another reason I was annoyed.

I hada Peugeot 207 on a PCP from my local Peugeot dealer. After the 3 years I handed it back (had moved over to a company car in the meantime). When they collected the car, the guy was here for over 2 hours. Talk about a forensic exam! He went over everything he'd found with me and estimated it at £75.
I subsequently got a letter from Peugeot UK saying they were waiving the charges due me being a loyal customer (I'd owned 4-5 Pugs at that point).
Glad the OP got sorted - it definitely sounded like a scam...

Just an idea would people be interested in a 3rd party doing an end of lease independent inspection, detailing in detail the condition, history, condition of their lease vehicle a day or two before returning it, if so would it be beneficial and how much would you be willing to pay for the condition report?

The report would be pointless.

Just thinking to lessen the impact of unfair charges, I'm considering a lease myself (for the first time) and just seeing what's out there to mitigate extra charges. (Yes I understand the day or two, anything can happen in the next half hour)

Just thinking to lessen the impact of unfair charges, I'm considering a lease myself (for the first time) and just seeing what's out there to mitigate extra charges. (Yes I understand the day or two, anything can happen in the next half hour)
It's a waste of money unless it is done while the pick up guy is there.
Even then, the lease company might not place any more credence on the 3rd party report, than on your own/their own inspection.

It should be simple - a company rep comes - you inspect the car together - agree the condition - both sign each other's paperwork - that's that. Any charges can then only come from whatever is on that sheet, and outside the wear-and-tear allowance.

Any 'special extra later check that may reveal new things' is bobbins. I would want to know what checks are done there that cannot be done on the drive. It's the end of a multi-year agreement - surely they can spend an extra 10 minutes? Especially as, from what I understand, the wear-and-tear allowance is quite generous, so anything outside that must be pretty obvious.

On the timestamp thing. Its perfectly easy to alter timestamps in the header metadata of an image file. Whilst the creation date of a file ( any file) can be changed just by copying it and renaming it.

However what you can do is email the pics to yourself via gmail. The datestamp on the email itself is unalterable as its held by google and its admissable in court as pretty much ironclad evidence.

However what you can do is email the pics to yourself via gmail. The datestamp on the email itself is unalterable as its held by google and its admissable in court as pretty much ironclad evidence.

That won't satisfy the lease company though. Scenario:
- take photo of your car the day you get it
- drive car around for three years
- edit the photo to today's date
- email it to yourself
- argue the car is as good as new

The email shows the latest time the photo could have been taken - not the earliest - so you could use it to show the initial condition.

I think he meant emailing them with the time stamp on the photos unaltered so the dates match and the time is just after the time stamp?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom