• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

learning how to be responsible with my LGCX

LGCXfan

Standard Member
I've been watching a lot of youtube videos teaching me how to use the OS and steps to take to minimize or prevent burn in.

i'm on my sencond week owning/using my LGCX and i did say in this forum that the OS sucks. just to keep from accidentally misleading anyone, i was totally wrong about that. the os is great i just didn't know how to use it at the time.

here's a video that covers a lot of the basics i do to properly take care of my LGCX:

One extra step i learned from another youtube video is that since i use it as a PC monitor, i use a black wallpaper, hide the task bar and hide the desktop icons.

my questions are:

1. Are there any additional things i should do to avoid burn in and to take good care of my tv?

2. I can feel the heat on the screen whith the back of my hand and it gets pretty hot sometimes. I'm not complaining but want to know how worried i should be about this.

3. I have one of those room fans that's on a stand. I experimented by pointing the fan at the screen on full blast(which doesn't create a noise problem for me because i use a headset). Is this a bad idea for OLED screens? does it make a difference at all? I got this idea from the fact that people used to attach cooling fans onto plasmas back in the day.

4. What do you guys reccomend i use as glass cleaning spray and rag to wipe the screen clean when i accidentally get fingerprints on the screen? Do i just use windex and paper towels because it's glass, or do i go with micro fiber rags and a different type of glass cleaning spray?

sagaris99

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos teaching me how to use the OS and steps to take to minimize or prevent burn in.

i'm on my sencond week owning/using my LGCX and i did say in this forum that the OS sucks. just to keep from accidentally misleading anyone, i was totally wrong about that. the os is great i just didn't know how to use it at the time.

here's a video that covers a lot of the basics i do to properly take care of my LGCX:

One extra step i learned from another youtube video is that since i use it as a PC monitor, i use a black wallpaper, hide the task bar and hide the desktop icons.

my questions are:

1. Are there any additional things i should do to avoid burn in and to take good care of my tv?

2. I can feel the heat on the screen whith the back of my hand and it gets pretty hot sometimes. I'm not complaining but want to know how worried i should be about this.

3. I have one of those room fans that's on a stand. I experimented by pointing the fan at the screen on full blast(which doesn't create a noise problem for me because i use a headset). Is this a bad idea for OLED screens? does it make a difference at all? I got this idea from the fact that people used to attach cooling fans onto plasmas back in the day.

4. What do you guys reccomend i use as glass cleaning spray and rag to wipe the screen clean when i accidentally get fingerprints on the screen? Do i just use windex and paper towels because it's glass, or do i go with micro fiber rags and a different type of glass cleaning spray?

By the sounds of it, I'm not sure you totally understand what burn in is/ how it's caused.

Despite the name, it's got nothing to do with burning, or getting too hot per se. We call it burn in/screen burn because the effects look very similar to that which afflicted Plasma, where an image could literally 'burn' into the tv, so the image was still visible when off

Burn in on oled is to do with degradation. Being organic, the self lit LEDs and sub pixels start degrading from first use. The harder you drive them, is the brighter the image, the quicker they degrade and lose brightness. Burn in on an oled occurs where groups of pixels of a certain colour (normally red and yellow) degrade faster than those on the rest of the screen, appearing darker in the faint outline of what's caused it to age - an HP bar from a game, a score bar from a sports match.
Occasional use like this isn't an issue, it's the cumulative wear that sees it degrade over time.

Panasonic play games with the heat sink/escape system in the panel where they draw heat away from the sub pixels, in theory slowing the aging process despite higher brightness, but we are yet to see whether this has a long term effect.

To answer your questions, the fan directed at the screen isn't needed, the TV will cope without. It's normal for the screen to feel hot. In terms of cleaning, I would advise against using any chemical as this may attack to coating - a slightly damp soft cloth is fine.

In terms of how to take care of the tv - the easiest and most effective thing is drop the OLED light level down to as low as is comfortable to watch SDR (mine is set to 50). This reduces how hard the pixels are working.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Get JL burn in protect

my questions are:

1. Set desktop as a black wallpaper/screen
2. Install Translucent TB and make the start bar transluence so it is completely black
3. Download HDRSwitch to allow easy turn off/on HDR switch windows (its a script and i mapped it to my keyboard shortcut on my logitech g915)
4. Fullscreen Google chrome or firefox when possible (firefox has better full screen mode).
5. Download adblock and block any pesky elements which might be on the screen for a long time (e.g. youtube icon)
6. Download Stylish (chrome add on) and get the youtube version which will alter the colour of the youtube bars from red to black
7. Set screensaver to black screen and 2 mins in windows

Heat, I wouldn't worry about. If it overheats, then warranty and replace it.

I always just use a very slightly damp microfiber cloth and things come off fine. Maybe stop touching the screen as a finger print only comes from fingers. Dust is easy to get off with a microfiber cloth.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom