LEAK 2001 Transcription Turntable - help!

DanShep123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello - new to the site so apologies if you've gone through this before. I have just purchased a Leak 2001 Transcription turntable from an auction site as i really like the look of it from the photos, but know nothing about it. It cost £150. Probably a dumb move but it's been a long week...

Anyway assuming that it actually works (!) can anyone recommend an amp and speakers to go with it? I don't have a fortune to spend and i know this is a site for audio pros so please go easy on me!

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Three questions to narrow the field a bit-

Do you want to buy new and modern or in period with the TT?

Any other sources to accomodate (tuner, cd, mp3 player)?

How much is less than a fortune:)

Jim

Hi Jim - many thanks for the reply - it's very kind of you.

In answer to your questions I'd say:

In period with the TT if possible unless you think that's crazy.

No other sources - really just want to play my vinyl.

Under £500 all in?!

Thanks!

Dan

Not the most retro but should sound pretty good -

Pioneer A400 - Pioneer A-400 Phono Integrated Amplifier | eBay
B&W P4 - b&w p4,rosenut,boxed,very clean condition,perfect working order | eBay

Leaving a bit left over for a better cartridge if needed and some speaker cable.

An alternative to the Pioneer is the Audiolab 8000a, this is more clinical sounding and make sure you check the connectors on the back as these can go brittle and break up.
An alternative to the P4's would be something like the Kef Reference Model One/Two or 104/2 (if you can find a good pair but prices have been going up) which come up occasionally around £250-300.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Can't argue with the suggestions Ugg has made. The Pioneer was well recommended in it's time.
Be aware that anything this age may need attention at some point and unless it has already had a service isn't likely to be sounding it's best. That isn't so easy in the case of speakers so try to see / hear those before you buy if you can - think Gumtree to find something local rather than ebay perhaps, or buy new / nearly new.

Once you have a particular speaker in mind you will be better able to know how much umph the amp needs and of course how much money is left:) Other makes you could consider and compare with the Pioneer could be Leak (of course!), Cyrus, Creek, Yamaha, Technics, Sony....
Most integrated amps of the era will have a built in phono stage but if something takes your fancy that doesn't have, budget 50 quid or so for a stand alone phono stage from Project or Cambridge (for example).

Happy to comment further if something specific crosses your path.

Jim

Thank you all for your very wise suggestions - i knew this was the right place to come! I'll keep you updated on progress. Thanks again. Dan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom