1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League Members/Interested parties

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Pooon, Mar 6, 2005.

?

What shall we do with the League

Poll closed Mar 20, 2005.
  1. Continue as they are?

7.7%
  2. Finish Now, then restart with same format

15.4%
  3. 'One Night Wonder' League

53.8%
  4. 'Champions League' Style

15.4%
  5. One Big League

7.7%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Thought it would be good to start a new thread to clarify what is currently being discussed in the League Thread. It appears that there is unrest in the leagues with fixtures not being completed, certain people never online, people in the league not posting here etc. So what shall we do? I think the options open to us are:

1. Continue with the current leagues
    2. Finish the leagues now, and start again with the same concept
    3. Go for a 'one night wonder' league (as suggested by gthom)
    4. 'Champs League Style' eg 4, 4 team groups then knockout after groups
    5. Run one big league, but set concrete fixtuxe deadlines
    6. Other

What do you think?

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Chance for slight confusion here - I've voted for gthom's One Night Wonder but only as a means to finish off this league. Next season should be a different format to this though...

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    You could have the senario where the league is split over 3 nights over a week or so if doing a champs league style one. It could go something like:

- NIGHT 1 - 2 groups of 4 - everyone plays their 6 home & away fixtures to decide the group stage.

- NIGHT 2 - Top 2 from each group play each other home & away (1st v 2nd in opposite groups i.e. 1st in group A plays 2nd in Group B).

- NIGHT 3 - The aggregate results of the semi's decide the 2 final teams & they play off for the cup in Night 3 in a one off game.

The problem with the current longer term league format is that people drop out & are replaced by people who are never seen again. People's personal circumstances also change so that whilst they were able to play the fixtures to start with, the change in circumstances means that they then struggle to find the time to play. Finally people also get a bit bored with it if it drags on too long.

With the "one night wonder" style format people can decide if they have the time available that coming week and the people who can play then discuss the best night & stick to it. We should then have say 8 commited people who come on & play a load of games that night.

As no-one can tell what the future holds, having another long term league will always have it's problems I feel. So although i've gone for the "one night wonder" method that I suggested, I also feel that a champs league style format would be good as opposed to a traditional league.

EDIT: The cup seemed to work well, mainly because it was over a short time scale & people didn't have to make the same level of commitment to the cup as they did to a several month league comp.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I'd just like to add my preferred style for next season - its a format used in another league I play in and works quite well, with about 95% of fixtures getting played on time. We are now nearly finished playing season 2.

Basically there are 5 leagues of between 8-10 teams (we have promotion and relegation), and a fixture list is published at the start of season with each team playing 2 opponents each week, but you do both the home and away fixtures at the same time. So if you have a league of 9 say, there are just 4 weeks to play the 16 fixtures.

Its easy to spot anyone lagging behind, as after each week, each team sghould have played 4, 8, 12 or 16 games. Anyone not completing most of their fixtures is prevented from entering the next season.

This would be my preferred format. :thumbsup:

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    So that would be 'other' then!

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Well, this 3 man league should be fun. Surely there are other Pezzers out there who fancy a bash at something different. Giz, Stumpy, Harbinator, LFC Fan etc!?!!? :thumbsup:

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sorry mate ain't got time for it as you can see by the very low number of games i've played since the stats reset. I'm always on Halo2 now with my mates & splinter cell 3 is out soon.

When i am on pes4 i'll send you's all an invite if you are about at the same time. :)

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I'm the same as you LFC Fan, I struggle to find the time to get on these days. If we have another long running league then I doubt that i'll have the time to compete.

Personally i'd like it is a few of us could all get on at the same time & play some sort of tourney from start to finish. There would be a good standard of play & a good varied slection of players. Would be a good laugh! :thumbsup:

9. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I wouldn't participate in another long running league either, the frustrations of arranging fixtures and then people not turning up has kinda put me off. I was totally committed to the one at the moment, trying to keep up to date with the fixture every 4 day schedule, but it's a two player game :rolleyes: But I'd definitely be up for an evening of PES4 in a league type format for sure :smashin:

It is a shame there isn't a DOA type LIVE setup, as this would be great for small 4 man tournament.

If we can all arrange a time and date, then i'll be in. :thumbsup:

Giz

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    This is the problem that we face the most, apathy. This post has been here a whole day and has 8 replies!

I really feel the answer we are looking for is one based around what gthom(and myself) has suggested. For example if we had say 16 interested people, that 4 groups of 4, so at a minimum thats 3 games each, which to play 3 games would take around 1hour 30mins. So say at 9pm on X night we could start the fixtures eg team A Vs B, C Vs D, then at the end of the game(9.20pm + 10mins to allow for delays/toilet/drink/cigarette/other) D Vs A, B vs C and so on until each player has played their 3 games. That would then give us 8 teams(top 2 from each group) to proceed with a knockout process which could be completed either the next day or same time the following week, which would result in playing a maximum of 3 games the following week(if you win of course) and then we would have some sort of winner to rival LFC Fan.

So there you have it, a maximum commitment of 3hours over 2 weeks. Sound good? Of course for some of us the commitment will be less(Lorenzini :devil: ) for others it will be the whole hog(Giz).

So, do we have 16 COMMITTED players out there? I'm pretty sure that we can run this with 8, with just names off the top of my head that i know are either regular posters on the forum(which i feel i vital) or regular players on xbox live(not just on pro evo).

11. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    I think the problem has tended to be more in League 1 rather than League 2. I've got people from the forum that I've sent friends requests to at the inception of the leagues that still have not replied or accepted! :(

Surely we have 10 or 12 people who have made some effort to play games who could commit to games for a league? If so, then I say we end the current leagues now and start with just the one league. For what it's worth most of my time on XBox live is on PES4.

12. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i am up for it but not sure i could do a 'big session' in one go due to other things i have to do. always up for a few games and if it is a knockout then it will be only one game for me.....

13. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still struggling to play my matches. and it's not for the want of trying! Half the guys in the league Ive never seen online or posting in here. Don't know if they even exist!

My suggestion would be to take all the people who can be arsed playing from each of the leagues we have now and merge them all into either one or two leagues. That way we have a bunch of guys who, a)check out the PES forum on here regularly, and b) are always up for a good game of PES.

What do you reckon?
    Maybe stick a post up and give people 48 hours to respond. Anyone who doesn't- tough. We all know ourselves who should be in each league.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I definately think that we should be looking at less players this time. 2 x 10 player leagues was always going to be tough to do and although league 2 has worked fairly well, league 1 has been poor! When you have 3 or 4 people who you can't arrange fixtures with you then get the other players feeling like "well what's the point, if I can't play my next 2 or 3 games then why bother playing teh ones after them".

What we can't have this time are people who say "yeah great i'll be up for that, count me in!" and then that's the last you hear of them.

We all know the people who we've played against before and the names that we see on our firends list when we sign on. Personally i'd say the following should be auto included (i'd like to include LFC Fan but he's been honest above and counted himself out) :

Giz 76
    Pooontang
    LeeHughes21
    Homer Thompson
    McBurnie
    Munkey Boy
    Cas Fan
    Grubby1
    Hulkhead
    Michelum
    Harbinator

That's just my opinion based upon whi I have on my list & see on fairly regularly. I've not played Hulkhead much & don't think i've ever played Michelum (Harrisuk) but I know that they have completed games previously. I've also not played Harbinator much (maybe once, can't remember) but he seems to have been making an effort of late to play games.

I did play T0ffeeman quite a bit early on but not seen much of him recently.

15. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Its a great idea, but it may just have to be 8 people IMHO. And we'd need to do 3x2 games each (home and away), so with each game taking 20 mins, thats 2 solid hours. So we have to get 8 people online at the same time for 2 hours straight, followed by either just a Final or two-semis then a final. May just be possible...

16. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Ive voted for a one nite wonder !

17. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Think your right(as 7 people have voted thus far). Think 8 people for atleast the 1st attemt at a new format might be more manageable, especially if it's 8 people from the list that gthom posted, as those people would be the one's i'd think would see it through properly. Do we still need to play home and away games thou?

18. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I definitely still get lag away from home - its a different game altogether with delayed button presses and my players not being able to control the ball properly. Oh and, Come on Milan! :hiya:

19. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Yep, I think home and away games are still needed to be as fair as it can be.

And i'll put my neck out, I think Utd will go through tonight, but Chelsea will get the spanking Liverpool should have gave them in the cup final!! :devil:

20. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    You can't blame your overall ineptness on lag all the time.

Tonights scores: Milan 1 - 3 United, Chelsea 2 - 1 Barca(Barca win on pens)

21. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    We both called that totally wrong iamtheone, just got to say congrats to chelsea that was one hell of a match, a real bruising encounter that probably won't be beaten in terms of entertainment this year!!

I just hope Liverpool can do it tomorrow, surely it's our destiny to meet Chelsea!!

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Superb game & well done to Chelsea. Great Goal by Ronaldinho though!

I see the old Manc's went out in a whimper through - chelsea boy Crespo dealing another deadly blow!

I do think that Home & Away is still needed as even though there's not much lag now, there is still that slight delay which can make all the difference between two equally matched competetors.

23. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have voted for 1 night wonder too.
    The mrs works 3 nights a week,so any 1 of those nights will be cool for me :smashin:

24. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    Just to let you guys know, I'm off to NYC this morning for a bout of extreme wrestling with my credit cards - watch out J & R, here I come :) :)

Anyway, I'm back on 20 March so will catch up on any league developments then.

25. NewKey

NewKey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, i would very much like 2 be included in your pro evo comp, i am always on xbl playing pgr2, links, doa ultimate, rainbow6 BA and of late the great pes4, please let me in.
    I see you have had a few time wasters, but i'm not one...and wouldn't waste my time posting if i were'nt up for it. So when your ready to start your next season let me in.

(Old XBL: SetTheVibe)
    (New XBL: ARTSIE)

26. 718

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm always on live playing pro evo and have been wanting to join for ages but there wasn't any room left. If you start another league or cup i'll be in it
    GamerTag - Mombaza

27. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, me again!

If we're starting a new league count me in. I'm still trying to finish the old one off if anyone will play me!!!

HARBINATOR

28. harrist0

harrist0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can Me And My Friend Join? My Gametag Is Hammeredit20 (look Me Up On Pro) And My Friend Is Djbaldy. We Have Been Looking For Competitions For Ages.