League Cup 2020/21

When In Rome

Ex Member
Reaction score
carabao-header.png

Carabao Cup draw: Norwich face Luton & Derby host Barrow in first round...

Norwich City will start their 2020-21 season with an all-Championship Carabao Cup tie against Luton Town.

The Canaries are the only one of the clubs relegated from the Premier League last season to play in the first round.

Barrow, promoted from the National League as title winners, face a Derby County side that includes former England captain Wayne Rooney.

Elsewhere in round one - scheduled for Saturday, 5 September - Newport County face Swansea in a Welsh derby.

Of the opening round ties, Barrow's trip to Pride Park to take on the Phillip Cocu-managed, Rooney-led Rams is the standout fixture.

Harrogate Town, promoted to the English Football League alongside Barrow after beating Notts County in the National League play-off final, face Tranmere in their first ever League Cup fixture.

Brentford, denied a place in the Premier League earlier in August after being beaten by Fulham in the Championship play-off final at Wembley, host Wycombe Wanderers in what will be first game at their new Community Stadium home.

Meanwhile, troubled League One club Wigan Athletic have been drawn to face Joey Barton's Fleetwood Town, but their involvement in the competition remains uncertain after administrators said the Latics may not start the campaign if the club is not sold by 31 August.

Charlton Athletic, whose ownership situation is also fraught, take on fellow League One side Swindon Town.

Bournemouth and Watford, who were relegated alongside Norwich from the top flight last season, will enter in the second round, along with the Premier League clubs not involved in European competition in 2020-21.

Manchester City are the defending champions after beating Aston Villa in the final at Wembley in March.

Northern section
  • Tranmere v Harrogate Town
  • Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City
  • Walsall v Sheffield Wednesday
  • Rochdale v Huddersfield Town
  • Preston North End v Mansfield Town
  • Bolton Wanderers v Bradford City
  • Blackburn Rovers v Doncaster Rovers
  • Stoke City v Blackpool
  • Fleetwood Town v Wigan Athletic
  • Grimsby Town v Morecambe
  • Middlesbrough v Shrewsbury Town
  • Derby County v Barrow
  • Scunthorpe United v Port Vale
  • Sunderland v Hull City
  • Burton Albion v Accrington Stanley
  • Salford City v Rotherham United
  • Barnsley v Nottingham Forest
  • Oldham Athletic v Carlisle United
Southern section
  • Bristol City v Exeter City
  • Plymouth Argyle v Queens Park Rangers
  • Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic
  • Forest Green Rovers v Leyton Orient
  • MK Dons v Coventry City
  • Crawley Town v Millwall
  • Stevenage v Portsmouth
  • Peterborough United v Cheltenham Town
  • Brentford v Wycombe Wanderers
  • Northampton Town v Cardiff City
  • Luton Town v Norwich City
  • Birmingham City v Cambridge United
  • Newport County v Swansea City
  • Oxford United v AFC Wimbledon
  • Reading v Colchester United
  • Gillingham v Southend United
  • Ipswich Town v Bristol Rovers

(via BBC Football)

20200906_154600.jpg

Last edited:
ROUND UP

On Friday, Burton saw off Accrington via a penalty shoot out while Middlesbrough overcame Shrewsbury 4-3.

Saturday's Carabao Cup results can be found here:

The highlight has to be league newcomers Harrogate knocking out Tranmere on penalties while there were early exits for Nottingham Forest, Cardiff, Swansea, Norwich and QPR.

Just one tie today, Brentford and Wycombe finished 1-1 with Brentford going through 4-2 on penalties.

It seems that a lot of PL clubs aren't that bothered about the League Cup.

Wolves and Sheffield United knocked out tonight, with neither putting that strong a side out.

It seems that a lot of PL clubs aren't that bothered about the League Cup.

Wolves and Sheffield United knocked out tonight, with neither putting that strong a side out.

There's no way you're going to get away with saying that :laugh:

I can't remember if I've said this before on here, but I wish they'd just ditch it for the PL teams. Or just the ones who qualify for Europe at least. Give someone else a chance to win it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid to be honest if we didn't play in it.

There's no way you're going to get away with saying that :laugh:

I can't remember if I've said this before on here, but I wish they'd just ditch it for the PL teams. Or just the ones who qualify for Europe at least. Give someone else a chance to win it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid to be honest if we didn't play in it.
Unfortunately it's true, nobody really plays a strong team / best lineup until the latter stages, I know there's the odd exception where certain teams can put out a weakened first 11 better than most starting 11 lol.

It's a shame really as a trophy should come above league position but clearly the money from staying in the league and finishing as high as possible is what matters it seems.

Unfortunately it's true, nobody really plays a strong team / best lineup until the latter stages, I know there's the odd exception where certain teams can put out a weakened first 11 better than most starting 11 lol.

It's a shame really as a trophy should come above league position but clearly the money from staying in the league and finishing as high as possible is what matters it seems.

I expect similar in the FA Cup to be honest this season as well. Given what's going on and the fact clubs will clearly be worried about games coming thick and fast and players picking up injuries.

No fans either. A wet Wednesday night in Stoke etc etc especially won't appeal to the big clubs who will have Europe to navigate as well.

Expect Klopp and the kids once again.

Apparently Wolves put out a strong side

Maybe Liverpool v Leicester/Arsenal and Spurs v Chelsea in the last 16

If we get past Lincoln, we have either Leicester or Arsenal lol

Fourth round draw.

Lincoln or Liverpool v Leicester or Arsenal

Millwall or Burnley v Man City or Bournemouth

West Brom or Brentford v Fulham or Sheff Wed

Fleetwood or Everton v West Ham or Hull

Bristol City or A Villa v Stoke or Gillingham

L. Orient or Spurs v Chelsea or Barnsley

Newport or Watford v Morecombe or Newcastle

Preston or Brighton v Luton or Man United

It’s one of only four domestic trophies on offer each season and a great chance for a trip to Wembley. Think how many times your team has won at Wembley in the last 20 years or so?

Premier league teams should have squads deep enough to take on this competition.

This is where they'll end up scrapping the cups. The schedule is tight as it is, Spurs would then be well within their rights to be unhappy if the game had to be rescheduled inbetween other big games for them. And what if it happened again? An entire round can't be held up.

Apparently Spurs paid for the tests to be done, and now could be awarded the win as Orient struggling to put a team out.

See that's a joke and seriously damages the competition. What if that happens consistently? And the same for the FA Cup.

Farcical.

Decision delayed until tomorrow apparently. It's disappointing for the O's and it'll be a shame for them to lose the TV money. The lower League clubs need all the financial help and support they can get. Its good for Spurs though as they play again on Thursday in Macedonia.
Spurs were going to auction their shirts after the game for the JE3 Foundation so I hope that still goes ahead. Even though they might not be "match worn" I'm sure people will still bid on them.

Looks like City will play a lot from the academy too on Thursday v Bournemouth. Understandable really as Monday, Thursday, Sunday is a bit hectic after 2 weeks of a weird pre season.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom