League Cup 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

richp007

Distinguished Member
If this starts happening more, scrap the domestic cups and compensate the club's that need it. Let's not pretend they've not got the money to do it.

We need to minimise risk here too. Football doesn't take precedence over a pandemic. That way focus can be on the leagues, disruption will hopefully be minimised, and league games that need re-arranging should be able to be managed over the course of the season.

The way it is looking, as much reduced contact as possible isn't a bad thing.

richp007

Distinguished Member
^^^ I'm not sure people are aware of the ramifications of this if they've just looked at the headline. Could have implications for the PL, and then there'd be uproar.

Authorities need to have a grip on this after last season. No excuses.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
^^^ I'm not sure people are aware of the ramifications of this if they've just looked at the headline. Could have implications for the PL, and then there'd be uproar.

Authorities need to have a grip on this after last season. No excuses.
If it can’t be done safely they will have to shutdown like other businesses.

richp007

Distinguished Member
If it can’t be done safely they will have to shutdown like other businesses.
But the article is implying as a possibility they won't. They'll sneak it. And then can you imagine the fallout from that if other teams get infected as a result.

And we've not even got going properly with the FA Cup.

As I said above, if this is going to be a problem scrap the cups. It sucks but some things take precedent.

Much easier to apply league bubbles then and keep everyone safe and things ticking over.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Sne
But the article is implying as a possibility they won't. They'll sneak it. And then can you imagine the fallout from that if other teams get infected as a result.

And we've not even got going properly with the FA Cup.

As I said above, if this is going to be a problem scrap the cups. It sucks but some things take precedent.

Much easier to apply league bubbles then and keep everyone safe and things ticking over.

Sneak what, testing?

richp007

Distinguished Member
Sneak what, testing?
Not testing. It's not mandatory and according to the article clubs could not test on purpose so as to not jeopardise their game. Which I believe would be a possibility now they know fans aren't coming back to grounds.

Then imagine if one of them is positive and then in turn infects a PL team before a big game.

Plus to mention how unethical that would be; and football aside how wrong it is during a pandemic.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Not testing. It's not mandatory and according to the article clubs could not test on purpose so as to not jeopardise their game. Which I believe would be a possibility now they know fans aren't coming back to grounds.

Then imagine if one of them is positive and then in turn infects a PL team before a big game.

Plus to mention how unethical that would be; and football aside how wrong it is during a pandemic.
Well if it’s not mandatory, they are not being sneaky. If they infect anyone from any team that’s life, just like in normal life. Unless the competition makes it a rule.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well if it’s not mandatory, they are not being sneaky. If they infect anyone from any team that’s life, just like in normal life. Unless the competition makes it a rule.
I get your point, but football isn't special. Lower league teams now will be fretting over finances and desperate to keep playing, especially for lucrative ties like this. The FA Cup will be even more important.

If they purposely choose not to test when given the opportunity in order to carry on playing, then I consider that unethical. And placing others at risk. Personally I don't think it should be mandatory.

I know this is all hypothetical at the moment, but this is a worrying start. Just seen in the other thread as well about West Ham. It's only September. Disruption to this season will be an absolute disaster all round.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
I get your point, but football isn't special. Lower league teams now will be fretting over finances and desperate to keep playing, especially for lucrative ties like this. The FA Cup will be even more important.

If they purposely choose not to test when given the opportunity in order to carry on playing, then I consider that unethical. And placing others at risk. Personally I don't think it should be mandatory.

I know this is all hypothetical at the moment, but this is a worrying start. Just seen in the other thread as well about West Ham. It's only September. Disruption to this season will be an absolute disaster all round.
I know football is not any more special than another type of business. Lots of disruption will be had by all I would think.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
VDB looks good. Not afraid to try something a bit different and will hopefully help open up some of those tougher defences. I know its only Luton and even Lingard was looked decent but still, hopeful he can be a good player for us.

Now where are the rest of the fudgeing signings!

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Yep. Pogba looked well off the pace. But he had just returned from a positive Covid test so will cut him some slack. But VDB a lot more mobile.

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
Yep. Pogba looked well off the pace. But he had just returned from a positive Covid test so will cut him some slack. But VDB a lot more mobile.
Think he’s had Covid since the day he signed for us tbf

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Think he’s had Covid since the day he signed for us tbf
Yeah. He's a bit of an enigma is Pogba. Has real quality at times. But most of the time just seems either lazy or not fussed. Don't see anyone wanting to buy him now though so up to Ole to try and get the best out of him

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Yeah. He's a bit of an enigma is Pogba. Has real quality at times. But most of the time just seems either lazy or not fussed. Don't see anyone wanting to buy him now though so up to Ole to try and get the best out of him
Teams will take him just not with a big fee that Manu want.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Even if we only wanted £20mil we'd still make a mess of it somehow. Can't believe how incompetent we are in the market

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Even if we only wanted £20mil we'd still make a mess of it somehow. Can't believe how incompetent we are in the market
The ultimate paradox for me is that they're able to rake in cash from an Indonesian Toilet Brush partner but can't monetise some of the fringe players who, granted aren't particularly good, but could be doing a job for someone in some league.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
The problem was handing out huge wages to those players. We gave Jones a new 4 year contract last year. And he played 139 minutes. Absolutely astonishing. No wonder we can't shift him.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
The problem was handing out huge wages to those players. We gave Jones a new 4 year contract last year. And he played 139 minutes. Absolutely astonishing. No wonder we can't shift him.
Bet he couldn’t believe his luck, maybe one of the quickest signings of a contract ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton