Leaf II announcement due tomorrow, who's waiting up?

I have no issue with slower charging as the battery heats.

But half the rate after 1 charge is over cautious. It should only limit that much if your battery temp is nearing the red.

Well it is a new thing when you are new to EV's ;) And I'd suggest a rather important thing as well. All I can see on the website is that it is a 40-60 minute charge. Sure I'll accept a standard deviation but more than that should be very clearly and unambiguously stated in my opinion.

LOL Every-time I get so close I find myself drifting away again. I'm glad I haven't been pushing this one too hard with my even more gorgeous half as I don't think I'd survive that one...

Well it's a good job you have us honest EV owners to advise you then :thumbsup: I'm not sure how much of an issue this will be in real life, it depends on what you want to use it for. In nearly a year, we haven't used a fast charger once. And if we did need to it would never be more than once a day, or after a reasonable lay over.

What do you want a Leaf for dejongj?

What do you want a Leaf for dejongj?

Primarily for the (too) many trips in and out of town, but also a number of longer runs say to the New Forest or Suffolk Coast etc. More a case of dipping our toe into full EV and I really like the specification (and price).

I'd suggest a fast charge is rather important on a longer run. And I'd need more than one.

So you head for Suffolk. Get a fast charge on the way, Milton Keynes maybe?. Have a nice time at the Coast, and get a fast charge on the way home in MK again. No problem.

The issue only affects people doing a maxxed out trip, fast charge, maxxed out trip, fast charge in a single run before getting to their destination.

e.g. If you want to go to Caithness in a single day and need to charge many times along the way.

So you head for Suffolk. Get a fast charge on the way, Milton Keynes maybe?. Have a nice time at the Coast, and get a fast charge on the way home in MK again. No problem.

The issue only affects people doing a maxxed out trip, fast charge, maxxed out trip, fast charge in a single run before getting to their destination.

e.g. If you want to go to Caithness in a single day and need to charge many times along the way.
Aha...So it's a potential problem if you wanted to drive down to Spain in one go...Like we used to do with the children when they were young and drive through the night leave the engine running, swap every two hours and fill it up and go again...

Too confusing this stuff, can't they put a V8 ICE in it :p

Aha...So it's a potential problem if you wanted to drive down to Spain in one go...
But for anything other than a car with proper battery conditioning that is not something these mass market cars are designed for at the moment. If that is once a year then hire an ICE for the holiday. If you have a day where you travel a total of around 100 miles or less on the commute and shopping and kids runs, the new Leaf would be a good fit with the 7KW charger every night. The long runs with multiple rapid charges are very occasional by design and technology (and price) at the moment but the leap to an EV seems to be reliant on people looking at their driving habits and needs realistically over the whole year. As a second car for those that have two now i would imagine they fit over 90% of those people’s needs. A few need two long haul cars ‘all the time’ but I doubt it is as many as those that actually don’t.

It sounds like many are close to the leap with this size of battery and level of battery management. As you say @dejongj the price is attractive so Nissan are nearly there to tap into the big market that are worried by range for them. Here in Canberra unfortunately only a Tesla gets close to what we need for one car. I could afford one but that would end in castration for me

@dejongj I woudlnt treat the current Leaf as anything more than a city run around, but with more range than the previous car.

Tesla aside all the current EVs really are a major headache for intercity travel, even without a overheating battery the Ecotricity chargers are just too slow - 40KW in real life compared to 100KW+ for Tesla superchargers.

Tesla battery packs can overheat but I'v never seen a report of them overheating from rapid charging.

As a first step into the EV world the Leaf is a great choice, if nothing based on the low cost of entry alone......But if you want a ture combustion car replacement Tesla is still the only game in town. Even the up and coming iPace will be hampered by the rubbish 'rapid' charging network at present.

, even without a overheating battery the Ecotricity chargers are just too slow - 40KW in real life compared to 100KW+ for Tesla
And that is the other issue - connecting a Leaf to a 100KW charger will not charge it 2.5 times faster. The cars have battery charging management that suits the battery pack and the conditioning of it. Those suggesting Tesla open their superchargers up to all may be missing that point - their EV will charge at the maximum rate their manufacturer has allowed.

If general public 60Kw or higher chargers become available each manufacturer will need to decide how much (if any) eaxtra juice they will allow your car to take - even for short periods. The vast majority will be unable to allow any more - the car/battery is designed on a knife edge already. They cannot afford to have even one customer actually kill a battery pack in 5-8 years. They need to balance a clear public demand with reality - but they are in for the long haul and make increnatal adjustments as costs fall and technology improves.

Chargers can deliver almost as much as you want. As long as the juice is around nearby. There is no point rolling out massive capacity chargers for the masses if none of the (mass produced) car batteries are able to use the full capacity.

As @gangzoom says these are all run arounds at the moment and although some take the time to plan (and execute) long trips (@Gordon @ Convergent AV :) and I’m sure I read an overheating battery issue in your excellent thread with multiple rapid charges? ) the fact is if that is your needs every day to jump in and go more than 100-150 miles total in the day without thinking about it, these are not quite ready to be the car for you.

Just to clarify apart from range, a major reason we don’t have an EV at the moment (my GF could get by with one around the 40KW mark as our second car) is there aren’t any on sale here anymore except the Tesla. Various have tried but the small ranges meant uptake was tiny. The new Leaf and the latest Zoe are probably getting close to sellable as a second car here. Maybe in 4 years when the GFs Corolla hybrid lease is up......

I should say though the 40kWh Leaf will still do 90% if journys most people do daily with no issues. I've put 15K on the Tesla in the last 12 months, my wifes Lexus just 5K. Yet I've only used the Supercharger less than a dozen times, if you have a second car in the family for occasional long trips the Leaf will fit in with no issues :).

@dejongj I woudlnt treat the current Leaf as anything more than a city run around, but with more range than the previous car.

I should say though the 40kWh Leaf will still do 90% of journeys most people do daily with no issues.

As a 24kwh Leaf owner doing about 16k miles a year I can testify that the Leaf is a perfectly capable car of doing big miles and cross country (Ireland) without too much fuss. And even more now that the 40kwh is available.

Mind you our rapids are seemingly better than the Ecotricity ones. My friend charged his 2018 demo Leaf at up to 45kw last week.

I should say though the 40kWh Leaf will still do 90% if journys most people do daily with no issues. I've put 15K on the Tesla in the last 12 months, my wifes Lexus just 5K. Yet I've only used the Supercharger less than a dozen times, if you have a second car in the family for occasional long trips the Leaf will fit in with no issues :).
We've got 10500 on the clock of our 30kwh leaf after 5 1/2 months (2 weeks of which the car was in for accident repair). We've not found a single journey too much for it, and we've done a couple of 150 mile journeys with a short stop.

This year will be a real test though, with one 300 mile trip to London, and one 300 mile trip to Wales. I'm expecting two to three stops per journey at around 30 mins each, which is essential with a 3 year old anyway. I am tempted to get an ICE for the journeys for convenience though

Do Nissan still offer us the loan of an ICE for up to two weeks "FOC" ?

That's worth knowing thanks :thumbsup:

Do Nissan still offer us the loan of an ICE for up to two weeks "FOC" ?
Mine made up part of the contract as I got it in writing from them, but I think it's only for the duration of the lease. So if I buy the car after (first time I'd ever considered doing so with a lease) then not sure we'd still be able to borrow one

In all the excitement, it wasn't something I thought to check when we got ours, so it's good to know the option is probably there.

Nissan would give you an ICE car for two weeks, for the first 3yrs.
The two weeks can be broken up in to a few days, so long as it doesn’t go more than the two weeks.

Nissan would give you an ICE car for two weeks, for the first 3yrs.
The two weeks can be broken up in to a few days, so long as it doesn’t go more than the two weeks.
Annoyingly it's only from the dealer you bought the car from though

Annoyingly it's only from the dealer you bought the car from though
Well yes, would have thought that was obvious?...don’t really see your point buddy?
It’s an incentive to elevate any concerns the buyer has in getting into this type of mode of transport

And that is the other issue - connecting a Leaf to a 100KW charger will not charge it 2.5 times faster. The cars have battery charging management that suits the battery pack and the conditioning of it. Those suggesting Tesla open their superchargers up to all may be missing that point - their EV will charge at the maximum rate their manufacturer has allowed.

If general public 60Kw or higher chargers become available each manufacturer will need to decide how much (if any) eaxtra juice they will allow your car to take - even for short periods. The vast majority will be unable to allow any more - the car/battery is designed on a knife edge already. They cannot afford to have even one customer actually kill a battery pack in 5-8 years. They need to balance a clear public demand with reality - but they are in for the long haul and make increnatal adjustments as costs fall and technology improves.

Chargers can deliver almost as much as you want. As long as the juice is around nearby. There is no point rolling out massive capacity chargers for the masses if none of the (mass produced) car batteries are able to use the full capacity.

As @gangzoom says these are all run arounds at the moment and although some take the time to plan (and execute) long trips (@Gordon @ Convergent AV :) and I’m sure I read an overheating battery issue in your excellent thread with multiple rapid charges? ) the fact is if that is your needs every day to jump in and go more than 100-150 miles total in the day without thinking about it, these are not quite ready to be the car for you.

i've never had a battery actually overheat but the Leaf certainly did charge slower once it was on it's fourth charge of the day on long trip i took it on. There is a battery temp guage in that car so you can see when you are going to have longher charge time. With my iONIQ i have not had any such problems and, of course, as it has a longer range i need less charges with it. Good news as well is that even in short time i've owned mine (since last May) the charge network has expanded a lot.

Well yes, would have thought that was obvious?...don’t really see your point buddy?
It’s an incentive to elevate any concerns the buyer has in getting into this type of mode of transport

Indeed and my wife liked the idea we could do this when we got our Leaf...but after driving an ev for a few months we decided to not take up the offer when we went on our summer holiday to Skye and took the Leaf instead.

There is a battery temp guage in that car so you can see when you are going to have longher charge time.
Thanks Gordon - I think that is what I remember. I was maybe a bit loose with ‘overheating’. Merely pointing out the slower charge on multiple rapid charges is not new and not a rumour :)

The point is that whilst it's a Nissan incentive, it's not centrally administered by Nissan. So this fact that's not advertised has implications for a potential buyer as it limits their ability to shop around different dealers, and it also affects people who relocate away from their dealer (sounds like I'm talking about drugs here)

Quick edit for an example: our local dealer tried to alter the terms of the contract to the value of nearly 1k when I was signing, so I walked out. Next nearest dealer is 40 miles away so we bought from them, but we also have to drive there to get the ICE car.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom