Leaf II announcement due tomorrow, who's waiting up?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by DrPhil, Sep 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    The big reveal of the new Nissan Leaf is due tomorrow, about 1am to be specific I believe.

I've been waiting for a while but I'm sadly expecting to be disappointed. I think the next step for EVs is to crack the real life 200 mile mark and all the leaked info seems to point towards the Leaf only managing around 160.

I know the usual sentiment applies, how often do I actually need to drive that far in one go, but the fact is that only bumping from 30kwh to 40kwh is underwhelming.

I live in Ireland and the charging infrastructure (whilst currently free) is horribly patchy and poorly maintained. Relying on it is not fun and considering that charges are expected to arrive in the next year or so and at ridiculous levels, things could get very sticky very fast.

With the 28kwh Ioniq already outperforming the 30kwh Leaf, if a 40kwh Ioniq arrives as speculated within a year Nissan could be completely left for dead.

On a plus side, the car looks dramatically better than the original!

2. milesperhour

milesperhour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I believe that the new leaf will have updated motors with more power, but also greater efficiency.

Let's wait for 11hours till the official reveal, and see what they announce before writing them off completely.

Live: Nissan LEAF World Premiere

3. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    I definitely haven't written them off, and I do suspect that my next car will most likely be a Leaf again.

I'm just holding onto hope that even if the launch is a 40kwh, there will be a definite date for a 60kwh too.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    No hurry here, we could be on the Leaf III before we hand ours back.

5. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    I'm impatient.

Had my Leaf 2 and a half years and I want to move it on by late 2018 while it still has some warranty and hopefully still has 12 bars on the battery.

Plan was to keep my next car for a long time but if I end up with a 40kwh car then it will be another short(ish) ownership I suspect.

6. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I've got my Leaf for just under 3yrs still to go, but I will be dissapointed if the range is only around 160mls, I would feel more comfortable with a range of 200 plus, but as already mentioned, let's just see what transpires. Maybe in 3yrs time the range would be enough to satisfy us, but if not I'd be looking at other makes:cool:

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I doubt we'll be looking at 200 miles yet if there's only a 4kWh increase in battery over the 36kWh, unless as mph suggested they have upped the efficiency of the powertrain. I assume bigger wheels or a different gear ratio could up the range at the expense of acceleration?

8. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If that's the case, then what's the point other than a new body design, as I'm sure other manufacturers will be upping their range

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    Perhaps to be able to incorporate a bigger battery when one becomes available?

10. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    36kwh?

The current top model is 30kwh and I believe that's total, not usable. It only has 28kwh usable I think.

The new model is allegedly 40kwh but they are now listing the actual usable capacity rather than the total.

So it's basically almost twice the usable capacity of my 24kwh (21kwh) Leaf.

11. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    I've been reading some early reviews on the Leaf 2.

The battery pack is a new 40kW and is the same size as the one in the old Leaf. They say the new battery is more efficient with an improved range of 235 miles (claimed). Also the recharging time remains the same, will take about 8 hours for a full recharge from a 7kW charger.

The new motor produces 110kW and will do 0 - 62mph in about 9.8 seconds.

There will be a bigger battery and a more powerful motor model available later (18 months time?) which will give a range of about 310 miles.

That is the latest bumf. I look forward to real test drives and breakdowns of what this new variant is actually capable of.

My interest in EVs has been revived :thumbsup:

12. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,982
    2018 Nissan Leaf Gallery

Complete disappointment for me. Lazy redesign inside. 150 mile realistic range. Promises of more to come (whoop de do).

Only plus points are that it looks a lot better outside and the price should stay around the same.

It's Tesla and Hyundai's game to lose now.

13. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    The current 30kWh car is also claimed to reach 155 miles on a charge and if you belive that your believe anything!!

At $30k the 40kWh is only $5k cheaper than the quicker, longer range standard Model 3, but neither will be in consumer hands till 2018.

The longer range more expensive 60kWh car isn't due till 2019, mean while looks like the offical EPA rating for the longer range Model 3 is going to be over 300 miles and that's a car people in the US are already taking delivery of!!

This Tesla Model 3 Photo Reveals Impressive Long Range Efficiency | Inverse

The only way Nissan will sell these things is the same way as the old Leaf....massive dealer discounts and cheap finance deals.

Also no mention of battery pack temperature management.

14. mikeburns

mikeburns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    Sorry, you're right, I made a mistake. 30kWh it is.

16. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I thought the 3 wasn't coming to the UK until 2019?
    By the way, please remember this is the New Leaf thread. While comparisons with other cars are inevitable, that's the only reason they need mentioning ;)

17. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    I quite understand you are a Tesla fanboy.

However I have no intention of buying an overblown, overpriced, hyped-up Tesla. The more you carry on about Tesla the more I dislike the car.

Give it up please.

18. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    The 'new' Leaf isnt actually all that 'new', its running the same chassis/tech as the old car. Nissan changed the bumpers but if you compare the old/new your see they didnt even bother changing the doors!!.

So the Leaf first appeared in 2011, in that time Nissan have managed to up the battery capacity and put on some new headlights.

Nissan is clearly trying, but really is a case of A for diligence but C for attainment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets not forget this is the concept car Nissan originally showed off as the 'new' Leaf....The lack of ambition shown by Nissan with this new Leaf is turly staggering!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  19. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Do you want to guess which brand of car I've owned the most of in my motoring hx?? I give you a clue I've bought 5 cars from that company and would love to buy another....

At somepoint in life one of these will also be in my garage as the weekend toy, probably should have bought one already as they are appreciating, but I will own one at some point. So unless you think you know my mind better stop making assumptions about which brands I favour :).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    I don't think Alan is basing his comments on guessing what you have bought in the past.....

Back on topic you might be being a bit harsh with the new Leaf. Splitting hairs about facelift versus new isn't necessary IMHO. It is an EV available with only one engine/battery size and has a new battery size. That makes it new to me the same way as an ICE car with a new engine and bumpers and headlights is new to me.

Nissan are doing fine to deliver something wanted to the vast majority of prospective EV owners in the UK as far as I can see. I'm pretty sure they will have tweaked quite a bit as well throughout.

We try not to put Tesla down (too much :) ) - give the Leaf a chance :)

21. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Maybe it's just my frustration of how slow things are changing showing....

Having had a Leaf for 2 years the longer I owned it the more frustrated I became about not been able to drive it for the odd long trips, or drive at 'normal' M-way speeds without worrying about charge.

The Leaf has been on sale since 2011, looking back it is good the EPA rated range has gone from 87 miles for my old Leaf to now 150 miles......But I'm just too inpatient for 60kWh+ battery cars with 200miles+ range to become much more affordable for everyone, because the sooner that happens the sooner EV adoption will really take off!!

If/When Nissan produces the IDS concept in real life we'll have one on the driveway without a second thought......Looking through my past car ownership out of the last 10 cars I've owned 8 have been from Nissan/Toyota/Honda, deep down my love is for Jap cars, that will never change :).

22. Jimx26

Jimx26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Looks a big improvement visually and the extra range is good and will suit my needs perfectly.

23. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    Having ploughed through most of the hype on the internet I get the impression the range of the new Leaf has gone up about 30 miles over the old model.

I suppose 30 miles could be considered extra range, but IMO that seems a little minimalistic - following modern trends.

A great pity the range didn't approach 200 miles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  24. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
  25. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    The concept and reality aren't that far apart, removal of the stupid body kit and overly massive wheels combined with the addition of stuff like doorhandles and wing mirrors makes sense.

Then again, look at Tesla, the Model 3 is just a smaller version of the Model S. They've phoned in that design.

As for range, the Tesla's are a bit bigger than the Nissan (the S and X are massive, which is why they are able to put enough batteries in for longer range). Even the 3 is bigger than the Leaf.

Not everyone wants a big car.

26. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I'm still unsure about this quoted mileage. We get 4.5 miles per kWh out of our Leaf without trying too hard. So I wouldn't think it unreasonable to be thinking that 180 miles might be attainable for a 40kWh battery.

27. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    Wow!! Excellent videos.

I found the vid 'first test drive' to be very informative and really enjoyed seeing the Yanks having fun on a test drive.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

28. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    The Model 3 is a compeltly different design from the S/X. The motor/battery pack architecture are totally different, the chassis has gone from all alumium to steel and thats before you even look at the interior.

The 'new' Leaf looks like it even has the same doors as the current Leaf.

Please check your facts before making assumptions :).

29. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    The EPA range rating is incredibly accurate, you haven't had the Leaf over winter yet. Wait and see how range drops as the temperature falls.

30. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I'm sure it will, but I'm also interested in the range for the rest (ie majority) of the year :).