Leaf Blower/Vac/Mulcher

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
need some tips on an all in one leaf blower/vac/mulcher!

Reading around i am hearing great things about the worx 3000w listed below

Worx 3000W Blower vac, 6947372583523

just wondered if anyone could offer any better recommendations? The garden in question is 300ft X 100ft and has plenty of trees on either side so we have an immense amount of leaves around so it needs to be extremely capable!

edit : just seen that this one is mains powered, kinda poses a problem as it really needs to be cordless or petrol! Willing to spend up to about £100

NewfieDrool

Banned
Blowers with a vac are a waste of time to be honest. Far better with a blower and either rake the leaves up or collect with mower.

I use a Sthil BG86 which is very good and a BR600 Stihl backpack but both are over your budget.
Honda do a hand held blower too and unlike the Stihl equipment you don't have to worry about fuel/oil mixture.

Stihl have a BG56 but again it more than £100. Its their bottom range blower but still good with higher vibration levels than the BG86.

There are other makes in petrol but you get what you pay for and Stihl equipment will last you a long long time.
You may find a bargin on Ebay but they tend to be well used but you may find one plus you never know if the fuel/mix has been correct which can be a problem with domestic users.

By the way you can convert the Stihls into vacs but even with their power they are not good even with dry stuff and objects tend to damage the blades when they get sucked in.

Edited to say you can even clear fresh snow with the blowers and my big old 600 soon clears the stuff and I'm back inside feet up and a cuppa :)

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
cheers for the info, will have a look into it but it looks like my budget range might not be right to buy one. I don't want to get one for the sake of it if its not gonna be worthwhile in the long run

smallclanger

I've been using a £60 Flymo electric and it does the job. My garden is under a big oak tree so I get a lot of leaves. I have to first check for small branches/twigs but it sucks and shreds the leaves great. Not only is it less effort than raking but I can store so much more when shredded.

Axl

Distinguished Member
cheers for the info, will have a look into it but it looks like my budget range might not be right to buy one. I don't want to get one for the sake of it if its not gonna be worthwhile in the long run
I only ever have and ever will use Stihl commercially but I know my local supplier is really impressed with the Mitox range of power tools for domestic use.

Have a search for a Mitox B-260. You should be able to pick one up on your budget if it suits your needs.

NewfieDrool

Banned
It's worth looking around as there are a good number of firms that have gone belly up and their stock is sold on in auctions.
I'm after a Billy Goat for my larger contracts at the moment, not just for leaf clearing but for my scarification work for next year.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
cheers folks, will research a little more but dont have much time, just back from honeymoon and dads birthday is tuesday!

NewfieDrool

Banned
For what you want it will be fine no doubt apart from the vac. I know you have your heart set on the vac side but you might find its a waste of time.

Ryobi are ok for light domestic use. Before jumping in take a look at the Mitox machine too. It looks better to me and I bet the vibrations are lower and I don't like the half handle on the model you linked to.

Also visit your local Stihl dealership and see what prices they offer and see if you can knock them down. You can't buy Stihl from the net from an auth dealer as they will run through the operation of the equipment and make sure its fine before you leave.

You can see I like Stihl:D

I can't comment on repairs on either the Mitox or Ryobi or spares when needed.

paul_w

ECHO LEAF BLOWER - BLOWS - SUCKS - SHREADS & COLLECTS on eBay (end time 05-Dec-10 17:55:22 GMT)

This is the exact 1 which i have and it is fantastic.
Echo power tools actually invented the leaf blower vac so they should know a thing or two about how they should work.
This one reduces the volume leaves take up by a factor of 12 so the bag soon gets very heavy. It will also shred the small twigs too so no need to sort through them just pick up the whole lot in one.

I have over the years used lots of others (including sthil) and none of them compare to the echo. The only one which came close was the makita one but they stopped doing the vacuum attachment for some reason which their rep could not find a reason for when i asked him, but they are still very good blowers.

Axl

Distinguished Member
RYOBI RBL26BV - 26cc Petrol Blower Vac

hows this one look? Ryobi RBL26BV, not quite a top end one but been mentioned that Ryobi is a good make
That won't be as robust as the Mitox and is around the same price. Ryobi are fine but put that model side by side with the Mitox and you'll notice the difference in build quality.

Paul makes a good shout with the Echo above. As a general rule with Echo any model with grey housing is great. The newer models have an orange housing and have suffered from some QC issues although they are getting back on track.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
cheers for the help folks, bearing in mind its only a few days to his birthday I might hold off for now on the leaf blower. He does want one so perhaps i'll direct him towards this thread instead so he can have a look at one he would buy himself :)

NewfieDrool

Banned
Another Thumbs up for Echo. Another brand name for a Jap company that knows how to market products:smashin:

Trending threads

Latest news

BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones