LE40R87BDX post your problems/settings here!

bignige

Right, had this for a few hours. A few niggles starting to surface, the black can look a little cloudy, not too noticeable though.

• Xbox 360 via VGA is very odd, washed out colours (as per my previous Samsung) the far left seems to have a light coloured block stretching top to bottom and taking up 1 quarter of the screen.

• Xbox 360 via Component is much better, maybe to vivd. 720p has a few probs changing form video to dash & game to dash. The top half of the screen flashes with black horizontal lines, it eventually sorts itself out. 1080i dosen't seem to suffer from this.

• Freeview (external pvr) looks a bit smeary, and for some reason movies on it (watching Ring on BBC3) looks like a TV movie!

• Panning is a bit jerky, this might be my freeview though.

I'm a bit loathe to take it back as I have the S-PVA panel. Does it need a few hours to settle in? I remember my first LCD looking gash to begin with, but got better with time.

I'm half pleased, bit ****** off with VGA & the 720 thing though. Anybody else experience these or has had the odd problem/annoyance?

bignige

360 sucks on VGA. Its Microsofts fault. They are fixing it on May 7th with their new update so don't worry.

Yeah, but the ghosted block I mention was never present on my previous Samsung via VGA. This concerns me the most. Anybody have any settings to share?

**edit** Forgot to mention, when turning off the Xbox 360 (if using VGA) it turns the whole TV off! The same happens if you cycle through sources and get to VGA, it turns the TV off!

Blackbolt360

Yeah, but the ghosted block I mention was never present on my previous Samsung via VGA. This concerns me the most. Anybody have any settings to share?

**edit** Forgot to mention, when turning off the Xbox 360 (if using VGA) it turns the whole TV off! The same happens if you cycle through sources and get to VGA, it turns the TV off!

The block you talk of sounds weird. Have you been able to try other VGA inputs, try your PC plugged into it, and see if it does the same thing. If the block still appears, I would contact the people you bought it from, because obviously thats not meant to be there, even on mine it doesn't have that.

Its just semi-standby. It acts like a PC Monitor. If you leave a PC monitor turned on, and turn your pc off, it does the same thing. Power the 360 back on and the picture will come back up. It doesn't 'turn off' as you suggest, the lights in the screen are just turned off, like standby on a pc monitor.

Meridius

which panel is the best to get on a 40" 1080p samsung tv and the 46" 1080p samsung model.

I have been reading this forums and to be honest it as my head spining so all i am asking is

1 what is the best panel model or manufature and why what is the difrrence and how can you tell if it is that panel ?

hope this helps as i seen one in currys and thay where exellent screens ????
becasue this is where i would buy it from.

also can i play region 1 films ok on this tv and what will happen if i do as i have half pal and half ntsc

i have always said i would buy plasma becasue of the blacks and contrast but what stoped me is the screenburn and lcds where never good but when i seen this samsung lcd i could not beleive it was a lcd it was a exellent picture. so this is why i am interested but i need to know a littile more about this panel lottery can anyone help

thaks for any help

MrMav11

Ive ordered a LE40R87BDX to, nd a big reason was for Xbox 360 gaming, I am a bit worried on these comments though.

I am a noob as this is my 1st big LCD, not sure on setting, reslotions etc , all I was going to do was use the compnent cable and set it to 1080i - is this the best to do?

Also have you tried the gaming mode? does this improve/make worse the 360 gaming?

bignige

Its just semi-standby. It acts like a PC Monitor. If you leave a PC monitor turned on, and turn your pc off, it does the same thing. Power the 360 back on and the picture will come back up. It doesn't 'turn off' as you suggest, the lights in the screen are just turned off, like standby on a pc monitor.

It does turn off, it makes the same clicking noise as what happens when pressing the power button on the remote. It's a bit annoying when trying out different resolutions via VGA. The screen turns itself off when changing resolutions, so you very rarely get to see 'press A' to accept or 'B' to revert.

Blackbolt, I appreciate you taking time out to reply, Andy & everyone else too. It's bizarre, I've gone from my old Samsung to this & the difference is massive. It's like starting again!

Andy don't worry about 360 over VGA it really is superb, I always enjoyed the more subdued colour of VGA & the text on the dash seemed less fuzzy too.

Blackbolt360

I will share my settings when I get time this afternoon or tonight. Still not 100% happy with VGA for 360, might have to do some adjustments to the colours, because watching spider-man his suit looked paler than I am used to. The TV is outstanding. I am really loving it.

bignige, you mention Freeview making Ring look like a TV Movie, turn off Movie Plus, it adds frames inbetween the movies 24 frames, making it look like a 30FPS TV show, clear and crisp. Typically movies are filtered at 24fps that give them a distinct feel and look. Movie Plus can ruin this, but I like it for watching TV shows, I watch stuff I get from america in 720p and movie plus is awesome for shows like Heroes and 24, makes fast moving action scenes so easy to watch, it also makes the show feel like a game running in 60fps, where its more real and responsive because of the extra frames.

chic

Distinguished Member
i got my le40r88bd yesterday which i thing is the same tv as the le40r87bd but only available from dixons. one thing i noticed is that its not as heavy as i though and its actualy lighter than the 32" lcd it replaced.

anyway, took a while to set up and i am very happy with it the main reason i got rid of the old lcd was that it was crap with sd material and only ok with hd stuff on sky hd. The difference is totaly night and day with the samsung i am well happy with it. There is much more detail and the blacks are much darker, also i was amazed with the amount of settings to change the picture and took a while to set up the the picture on all sources. Have sky connected via hdmi and also have a samsung 850 connected via hdmi and i the picture of upscaled dvd is amazing. I also have my 360 connected via vga and i dont suffer from any washed out image with vga, also have the hddvd drive connected and the picture is stunning.

In short well happy with the purchase, got it from a currys store for £850 as they matched the on line price as they originaly wanted £999 in store.

MrMav11

Bumped for Andyloc & Blackbolt who got theirs today? Any tips/probs to share?

Still a-waiting, god forbid if they dont deliver, I'll be fuming. Already cancelled once and dont hold up hope.

Also still waiting for the refund on my CC that they promised for both the reduction in price on TV and the Del charges

MrMav11

just had a phone call be in in 20mins!!! come on............. woooo hoooooooo

I bet they forgot my stand or something though you watch!!

MrMav11

wel its here (and the stand) all it says on the back is LE40R87BD (R)then a lot of spaces and then a S is that good or bad? what have I got?

bignige

wel its here (and the stand) all it says on the back is LE40R87BD (R) is that good or bad? what have I got?

You need to note the letter after the [R]
Also on the right/back is a sticker, what does the version note?

Andy, stay in one thread you're all over the place!! I'll check back in this one if you have a questions!

MrMav11

oops sorry I know Im excited read above it has a S after the (R) quite a way away from the (R)

bignige

oops sorry I know Im excited read above it has a S after the (R) quite a way away from the (R)

It'll be there right hand side back of TV near to bottom. Anyways, the 'S' means you have a Samsung panel, basically the best one! Well done!!

MrMav11

excellent I am pleased is this a S_PVA that every one says it is?
Found it SP02? what is this mean? is it good?

MrMav11

excellent I think, although if I could have noticed would have been a different matter.

Whats the SP02 version bit then?

Refrenz

I am tempted to buy a LE40R88BD which Dixons currently has listed as £765 on their website. Anyone know why the 40" panel is actually cheaper than the 37" LE37R88BD panel, which is £769.85? Am I missing something here?

chic

Distinguished Member
I am tempted to buy a LE40R88BD which Dixons currently has listed as £765 on their website. Anyone know why the 40" panel is actually cheaper than the 37" LE37R88BD panel, which is £769.85? Am I missing something here?

dont know why that is, but grab it at that price its a steal. got mine a few weeks ago from currys paid £850 as they matched the then currys website price of £850, the tv is £999 in store at curry,dixons& pc world, the tv is back up to £999 on the currys website, so i dont know why dixons have it cheaper.

Refrenz

dont know why that is, but grab it at that price its a steal. got mine a few weeks ago from currys paid £850 as they matched the then currys website price of £850, the tv is £999 in store at curry,dixons& pc world, the tv is back up to £999 on the currys website, so i dont know why dixons have it cheaper.

I just ordered it with £10 off discount code for £755 including delivery. Bargain! I went for the Dixons/Currys R88 model as opposed to the normal R87 as I do like the nice blue light under the middle and touch sensitive controls. :)

rondha

S

slab288

Hi guys,

Well I was thinking about the LE40R74BDX but decided on the LE40R87BDX, it will be delivered on Tuesday.

I got the LCD TV + Samsung R155 DVD recorder + the large black glass table for £880 delivered.........a good deal yeah?........then like most I'll just have to spend some time getting the settings rite :smashin:

Bryan

MClapham

Novice Member
Have any of you guys previously owned R7 series samsungs? What is the difference in image quality like?

I'm upgrading from a 32r74 and was quite happy with the PQ accross xbox360, sky, hd-dvd and upscaled DVD.

Just want to make sure if I upgrade to a 37 or 40" sammy r8 series i'm still gonna be happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar