1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LE40R51B - Anyone got one?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by joker_zero, Sep 19, 2005.

1. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £1600 for a 40" LCD looks to be a top deal. :thumbsup:

But I saw one of these in PCWorld. It was running off a cheap n nasty dvd player, with a low production high compression DVD - i.e. the PCWorld promo. Needless to say not looking its best. So I talked a helpful chap into putting a normal DVD in and things improved a bit but, it still looked so-so. Tried getting him to run a wmv file off a PC into it (it was PC World after all), but he just did not seem to get what I was saying.

So has anyone got one of these and tried it with a decent source?

2. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have one and I am more than happy with it. I haven't hooked my PC upto it yet though, but i'm pretty sure I will like the results. DVDs look great, especially from a Sammy HD950 through HDMI. Progressive scan games also look extremely good. The only drawback is analogue feeds, they still look good on a screen this size, but not as good as a CRT. LCD TVs always show poor quality feeds to be just that.....poor quality. I definately recommend this TV wholeheartedly, I upgraded from a 36 inch Toshiba Picture Frame 3 CRT and am pleased with my choice. Don't let the price put you off, its not cheap because it is crap, just one of the rare situations where cheap also equals best. I bought mine from beyondtelevision.com and it came the next day, so if you are interested I would recommend buying from them.

3. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - I will definatly keep this on my short list, but need to see it at its best before parting with the readies...

4. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You can get it online at www.currys.co.uk for £1540. It was nearly £2000 on that site a few weeks ago! They must have realised that their prices were waaaaayyyyy too dear so cut the price for a lot of their HDTV's

5. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wow thats cheap, and for a change it wont mean dealing with Empire Derelict :D

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    check out comet stores. Two near to me have some HD ready sets (including the samsung, but the 32" version) running a HD loop via a PC and HDMI.

Some of the stuff is badly compressed/jerky, but mostly looks gorgeous.

edit: Just to clarify, the whole loop has bits that are badly compressed/jerky, not the samsung - you can see it on all the connected sets.

7. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah they've got the 26" version running in HD in my nearest Comet! It looks great!

8. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Just a quick note,
    Don't count on getting one from Currys if you live in the Nottinghamshire area. Apparently they won't send one to you. Have a look for yourself on the site. Add the TV to your basket, then you will have to input your post code to see if you are eligable in the area you live in. what the fudge, this is ridiculous, do currys no want customer's money from certain areas???? I could maybe understand if postage was free, but i'm pretty sure you have to pay for delivery. It almost feels like discrimination towards certain areas in the country.

9. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought mine from beyondtelevision.com, great service.

I'm pleased I bought this set in the end after much deliberation. I've run some Hi-Def stuff though it via my HTPC (using both HDMI and VGA) and it is fantastic. Sky is okay but the compression really bugs me. Why can't Sky just compress less as an in between while we wait for SkyHD?

I've also tried it with Unreal2004 and it is jaw dropping, so if you like your gaming prepare to reach for the kleenex :D

I run MCE2005 as well and it's a great display for using MCE on. The only let down has been trying to get a decent TV pic via the Hauppauge card. I'm still yet to sort this but it's low on the agenda at the moment, so any advice is welcome.

Hope this helps.

10. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Currys rely on stock from the Local Delivery Centre, the local one to Nottingham is in Sheffield. If they can not deliver to your postcode area this means that the Sheffield Delivery Centre hae no stock. There may be stock at another Delivery Centre, but Currys are only able to send you the TV if it is available in your Local Delivery Centre...

11. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Currys rely on stock from the Local Delivery Centre, the local one to Nottingham is in Sheffield. If they can not deliver to your postcode area this means that the Sheffield Delivery Centre have no stock. There may be stock at another Delivery Centre, but Currys are only able to send you the TV if it is available in the Local Delivery Centre for your Postcode...

12. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67

That clears that one up then. I still think it is a bit silly. How can they hope to compete with websites that will send anything to anywhere? Then again, they get their sales mainly from average joes who are scared to order online.

13. stravinsky

stravinsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you enter the code 100off1000_candg you get £100 off. If you then enter the code "pricerunner" you also get free delivery. Total with discounts = £1440.87 delivered. Not Bad eh !

14. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I Hooked my PC up today through VGA. I was impressed, very impressed. I watched a few Hi-def clips and they blew me away. This TV just constantly keeps impressing me. I can't wait for the Xbox 360 now.

15. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Don't forget to enter promotional code 100OFF1000_CANDG if you order from Currys. This gets you £100 off anything over £1000 so you can have an LE40R51B for £1440.

16. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ordered mine from Currys in Swindon yesterday, getting it delivered Monday.Was showing as not available on their website so went in and tried. In store price is £1999 but they will match their web price. Apparently they just had a delivery of 34 at their Yate depot.

17. WoodWorker

WoodWorker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did they let you have it for the £100 off and free delivery?

If so I'll go into my nearest Currys and do the same.

:thumbsup:

18. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    hi all.
    im looking at getting one of these.

LE40R51B lcd's

so how do u rate it out of 10.
    the people that have 1.

and bad bits about them.

and good bits ?

look forward to reading the replys...

19. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    didn't know about the £100 off code, and I already had a voucher for free delivery, but it's got to be worth a try!!

20. phorenzik

phorenzik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would definately rate this TV as a 9/10
    Why the 9 I hear you ask? Simple, no TV is perfect. All high def images are flawless, but some interlaced images can look a little grainy in places, this is especially evident when using it for PS2 games that don't support progressive scan. Gamecube games look great, especially the prog scan games. I can't test it with my USA Xbox as I sold it recently. I use NTL Digital for TV broadcasts and most of the channels look great. the movie channels look really good. Channels such as Bravo, Sci-Fi and the like can look quite bad at times. They don't look terrible, just not as good as progressive scan sources (which is understandable). Basically this TV is future proof, buy one now and it'll give you years of fun. If you want to view old crappy broadcast signals through RF, thjen get a cheap CRT. PC picture quality through VGA blew me away, I couldn't believe how good it looked. I expected pixellation but there wasn't any. The desktop looked as good on this 40" beast as it does on my 19" Sony LCD monitor. I specifically bought this TV for gaming and DVD watching, I would recommend the Samsung HD950 to perfectly accompany this TV. I have had this set for exactly 2 weeks today, and I paid £1660, the fact that it can now be bought for over £250 less in such a short time is annoying, but I am still happy with my purchase. as a further note, I tested the 40 "Sony and the 37"Toshiba before I settled on this set. It outshone the other two in every department, price wasn't an issue with me, and I chose the set that was the best, regardless of the price. I was actually put off a little because of the price being so low, but quality was the main issue. I hope this helps

Edit: I have a minor niggle. The frame around the TV is extremely glossy, and seems to act like a magnet for dust, so I am forever dusting the thing. Samsung probably knew this, and they actually include a blue cleaning cloth inside the TV box.

21. tonythetiger

tonythetiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I';ve noticed there's now a Samsung LE40M61B,
    which is apprently better then the LE40M51B. Head2Head;
    Attribute R51 M61
    viewing angle 170 178
    Contrast Ratio 800:1 5000:1
    Response 12ms 8ms
    Price £1450 £2149 (according to DigiUK.com, Samsung's primary uk dealer), although not in stock until next couple of weeks apparently.

So that seems like an aweful lot of extra cash a those upgrades ... doesn't it ?

22. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    i got my screen today and pretty happy with it. only issue i could find is that i may have the tearing issue as every now an then when watching an NTSC 60hz dvd via hdmi i get a slight ripple from lower part of the screen down.

Does this sound like the tearing issue that has plagued the 32" versions. As far as i am away it is fixable with a firmware. Correct me if i am wrong.

DVDCHILD

23. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    That information isn't quite correct. The response times are the same on both which is 8ms. The actual contrast is also the same both which is 800:1. However the dynamic contrast has changed from 3000:1 to 5000:1.

24. chavdar

chavdar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I bought mine from PRC and since then I have felt like a 1M dollar person and went on to buy a posh glass stand and a 'UPconverting' HDMI Toshiba DVD.

I have it connected to Sky digibox via Scart, the skybox itself sends audio to a 5.1 amp for sound.

The telly works great - the only disappointing thing I find is that the Picture in Picture can only be used with HDMI or PC as the 'other source'. This means that you can't really watch 2 TV progammes in the same time even if you have anoter tuner. So stupid. Still I have another TV by the side for that purpose to monitor other stuff and my second SAT dish.

To my further disappointment, after spending a further 20 on an HDMI cable I found the 'upconverting' to be of no use at all. When I freeze frame the DVD and switch between 500, 720 and 1080i - there is none whatsoever difference in quality. So compared with Scart connection the HDMI is no improvement at all at least visually ?

On top of that the TV does not switch onto the HDMI input automatically as it does with SCART so if you want to watch DVD you have to also switch the ext source manually.

Am I missing something here ?

Also does anyone know how to make the SKY remote drive the TV.

Thanks

25. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    the firmware will be upgragded as i contacted samsung today and i my set was only made a month ago i have checked with modded xbox no problems up to now
    red

26. WoodWorker

WoodWorker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to order on of these all week but Currys only send from the local distribution centre and mine is out of stock. They are expecting 10 in shortly but are unsure when exactly.

I tried getting my local branch to price match but they laughed when i said with the code it was £1440 and free delivery.

Fingers crossed I'll get one soon.

My budget will not allow for me to pay over £1500. All ready stretched it from £1200.

27. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    thanks for the replys guys....

now i see news about the Samsung LE40M61BX

what to do.......

get a Samsung LE40R51BX now.

or wait for the Samsung LE40M61BX to come out.

grrrrrrr :(

28. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    hehe i though i would try these codes for laugh....

i put in the first one... 100off1000_candg

and indeed it comes up with

Cheltenham & Gloucester discount £100.00

i guess thats cool if you live in them areas lol

then the second code. pricerunner

Standard Delivery Free

nice one........

29. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The LCD has its own internal "upscaler" the Toshiba should "in theory" just do it slightly better, with less potential signal losses as a digital connection is used between the TV and the DVD Player.

I have a Samsung HD-745 and I do see a difference between interlaced Pal and upscaled 720p via DVI, but it could just be that my TEVION LCD's internal scaler is poor, and your Samsung's LCD internal scaler is good.

Upscaled DVD's will never look as good as HD sourced material, hook up a PC and prepared to be amazed.

30. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Anyone know a nice stand for this set.

I would like to see one that isn't too deep? Any recommendations? Links please?