LE40C750 vs UE40C8000 -

verachion

I went in to John Lewis yesterday with a pocket of notes to buy a TV and came out with nothing, felt dejected and very disappointed let me tell you why.

I went to the customer desk to get some advice and I was promptly set up with a so called 'expert', I explained that I have been looking at the LE40c750 all week and I was seriously thinking about getting one however I wanted to know if there were any models that were better. He scoffed (which I thought was bloody arrogant and got my goat straight off) and told me that the UE40c8000 was 10 x better. So we went and had a look.

After watching the HD 3D and listening to the sound through Pioneer surround system I was told that because this was LED it was much more economical on power and the picture was superior to the LE40c750. He explained that it was much lighter and the refresh rate was 800hz and that the LE40C750 was 50hz (again I felt like he was treating me as someone that doesn't know anything about electronics) I asked him if it would be possible to look at the television without all the HD and just the Digital TV he promptly put Sky sports on and I stood watching for a couple of minutes.

To be honest I couldn't see that much improvement to the le40c750 yes it was LED yes it had 2D-3D yes it had better sound capabilities but it also had a whacking high price tag that went with it.

I knew as the arrogant assistant was talking to me that I wasn't go to buy one as I don't hand my money over easily and especially to one whom I don't feel has earnt it.

Can someone please tell me is the UE40c8000 superior to the LE40c750 and ifso why ? does it refresh at 800hz 16 times faster than the LE40c750 ? or was he just BS me to get a sale.

Should I be looking at an LED TV or stick with the LE40c750 ?

calypso69er

Novice Member
Hi, I purchased the c750 yesterday, and it's 200hz not 50hz. Can't help with anything else I'm afraid. Salesman sounds like a bit of an arse though.

verachion

Hi, I purchased the c750 yesterday, and it's 200hz not 50hz. Can't help with anything else I'm afraid. Salesman sounds like a bit of an arse though.
Thanks for the prompt reply congratulations on your purchase.

Yes I have compared their specifications side by side but I thought I may be missing something, apart from better sound and 2d-3d toggling I can't see anything else that warrants such a high price tag, apart from the fact its LED?? I wasn't born on the last banana boat.

I wanted to get some advice from the experts here as I trust implicitly what AVF members say.

Yes he was indeed an arse!

glen8

The C750 is actually better than the C8000 believe it or not.

I was in the same boat and did the same thing on Friday. Compared the C750 against the Sony, Panasonic and LED Samsungs.

Panasonics were very VERY slightly better at 3D compared to the shops C750 (I'll explain why I put the word shops in a bit later) but I honestly thought that the picture quality on the C750 was better. Not only that, but I thought it had the best picture out the lot. Now when you go into currys/comet I bet they have the C8000 showing the Monsters vs Aliens BluRay and the C750 showing that god awful black eyed peas concert. Hardly a fair comparison that!

The reason why the C8000 had a higher price tag is the LED, design and extra bells and whistles which you may or may not need. It's silver for a start which put me off, personal preference that though. There is no doubt that the LEDs physically look better although the C750 is by no means ugly.

If you read the review on HDTVtest they also agree that the C750 is better than the more expensive LEDs. That said, if you intend to wall mount than you may want the extra few mm to have it flat against the wall?

anyway, I decided on the C750 (check my deal out in the HC Bargins section) and am VERY happy with my choice. This was replacing my Panasonic V10 THX Plasma so it had a lot to live up to.

Let me tell you straight away that the blacks are inky black, the motion is silky smooth (using custom motion 10/0) and the crosstalk is just sublime set to +3. Now, the reason I said the Panasonic has better 3D than the shops model is because I have a feeling the shops model had an older firmware installed. Once I got mine home I immediately installed the latest firmware 3003 IIRC which just took the 3D into a whole new level. Matched the Panasonic and then some. Just watched a Christmas Carol earlier today and I have to say I was more interested in the crosstalk and general picture quality than the storyline (will have to rewatch next weekend) and it just blew me away.

I'm a complete gadget freek and love new technology anyway, but this really did make me smile. You might be put off the C750 because it's the cheapest 3D TV on the market, and maybe like me you always say to yourself "You get what you pay for" well not this time. This time the cheapest is actually the best.

oh, and my C750 has the 2D>3D mode? To be honest though (I've not used it yet myself) I've heard it doesn't work anyway, just a bit of a gimmick

Last edited:

verachion

Thanks for your input there glen8, that settles it then. I am going for the LE40C750, just got to get it at a good price, I know what will happen I will buy it for £800 and then the next day it will be cheaper.

Whats a HC bargain section?

Thanks again I appreciate your help.

tech81

Novice Member
Verachion, why are you bothered about which TV is best. Buy the one that fits your budget at the price you are prepared to pay, neither set is a "reference" TV but they are both good and should provide plenty of viewing pleasure. Oh, and yes your purchase probably will be cheaper the next day, that's technology, if you want it cheaper wait until the next generation hit the streets and get a bargain.

glen8 your statement "The C750 is actually better than the C8000 believe it or not." is not backed up by fact, only by opinion (or have I missed something). Better in what way ?

glen8

No facts as in reality it's all down to personal perception. Everyone has different requirements as you say. My view is that I personally prefered the picture on the C750 over both the C7000 and C8000

HDTV test however concluded with this

If you can simply give up the ultra-slim chassis that the C8000 and C9000 models offer, you'll net yourself these advantages:

■better “actual” black levels
■better viewing angle
■better screen uniformity
■no annoying auto-dimming
■half the price

They also said the C8000 had less crosstalk but they must have been using older firmware as the 3003 all but eliminates it.

Either way, they will be worth a lot less next year when the 2011 models get released. Maybe the C750 won't loose as much? The flagship models always depreciate at a faster rate so there's another advantage lol

oh, can I just say that I have no emotional attachment to any electronic purchases I make. Unlike some others on these forums I don't feel the need to justify anything. I've had that many flat TVs over the years I've lost count (hey, at least it's not money on drugs haha) some good and some lemons. This one will probably get replaced next year anyway 'IF' the Panasonic V30s do indeed contain full kuro technology. I will say that it is a fantastic set and that I'm over the moon with it :)

Last edited:

phil5743

No facts as in reality it's all down to personal perception. Everyone has different requirements as you say. My view is that I personally prefered the picture on the C750 over both the C7000 and C8000

HDTV test however concluded with this

If you can simply give up the ultra-slim chassis that the C8000 and C9000 models offer, you'll net yourself these advantages:

■better “actual” black levels
■better viewing angle
■better screen uniformity
■no annoying auto-dimming
■half the price

They also said the C8000 had less crosstalk but they must have been using older firmware as the 3003 all but eliminates it.

Either way, they will be worth a lot less next year when the 2011 models get released. Maybe the C750 won't loose as much? The flagship models always depreciate at a faster rate so there's another advantage lol

oh, can I just say that I have no emotional attachment to any electronic purchases I make. Unlike some others on these forums I don't feel the need to justify anything. I've had that many flat TVs over the years I've lost count (hey, at least it's not money on drugs haha) some good and some lemons. This one will probably get replaced next year anyway 'IF' the Panasonic V30s do indeed contain full kuro technology. I will say that it is a fantastic set and that I'm over the moon with it :)
Glenn, you say your preference was based on personal observation - can you be sure both sets were set up to their individual advantage - it is quite important to be sure of this before you make recommendations to people as I have often been surprised comparing Tv's in stores side by side - it is often a lottery as to how they appear with unexpected results actually being misleading. I also regard the reviews with cynicsm as these "experts" recommend settings that result in a poorer picture to my eyes. This particularly applies to the HDTV test review of the C8000.

Last edited:

witchdrash

Glenn, you say your preference was based on personal observation - can you be sure both sets were set up to their individual advantage - it is quite important to be sure of this before you make recommendations to people as I have often been surprised comparing Tv's in stores side by side - it is often a lottery as to how they appear with unexpected results actually being misleading. I also regard the reviews with cynicsm as these "experts" recommend settings that result in a poorer picture to my eyes. This escpecially applies to the HDTV test review of the C8000.
I've played with a friends C8000 and having compared it with my C750, and the previous C7000 I owned before switching the C750 the C750 is by far the best and the cheapest. I didn't really have the heart to tell my mate because he's so happy with his C8000, but I think he got conned.

phil5743

I've played with a friends C8000 and having compared it with my C750, and the previous C7000 I owned before switching the C750 the C750 is by far the best and the cheapest. I didn't really have the heart to tell my mate because he's so happy with his C8000, but I think he got conned.
Yes, but as this is all so subjective he may have the same thoughts about his C8000 compared to the C750 and is being just a considerate as you in keeping it to himself;)

glen8

This is why anyone thinking about buying new TVs (or amps, speakers etc etc) should go and demo them before buying.

There will always be a slight justification from those spending more assuming it must be better because it cost more money. Of course the reverse may also be true (maybe not to the same degree) from those happy with spending less and getting more.

I also assume there are customers buying the C8000 just because it's a C8000 regardless of anything else. Nothing wrong with that, I've done it many times.

It's all good at the end of the day though!

Last edited:

witchdrash

Yes, but as this is all so subjective he may have the same thoughts about his C8000 compared to the C750 and is being just a considerate as you in keeping it to himself;)
Possibly but he spent £2k on his, I spent £800, so I'm happy with the way it worked out as I'm not sure most could see a 1.2k difference in set quality :D

It does look very nice though

@glen8 as long as you're happy with what you bought not an issue.

Last edited:

phil5743

Possibly but he spent £2k on his, I spent £800, so I'm happy with the way it worked out as I'm not sure most could see a 1.2k difference in set quality :D

@glen8 as long as you're happy with what you bought not an issue.
I must admit although I'm blown away with the picture quality of my C8000, a major factor was how it would look in our living room - this is what got my wife's approval for the purchase as our previous TV along with Kef speakers are silver. Anything black would have stood out like a sore thumb and not blended in. It is a piece of furniture after all.

glen8

There is ALWAYS a premium to pay for high end models just because they are sat at the top of the tree.

Look at the price of a C9000 against all the lower end models. Work out the percentage difference and compare. The extra quality (if there is any) will never be anywhere near the cost difference.

You can't always put a price on the flagship and top of the line models though. How much is the design worth of the C9000? To me it's worth nothing, but to someone else they will pay the earth. The same is true for Panasonics Z series. You can't really justify the extra price, but it's worth it for some.

Maybe your friend is happy spending the extra because he just loves the C8000 for what it is. If he thinks it's worth the extra then who are we to judge?

glen8

I must admit although I'm blown away with the picture quality of my C8000, a major factor was how it would look in our living room - this is what got my wife's approval for the purchase as our previous TV along with Kef speakers are silver. Anything black would have stood out like a sore thumb and not blended in. It is a piece of furniture after all.
+1 it's not all about picture quality at the end of the day

tech81

Novice Member
glen8, thank you for your reply.

The C750 and C8000 are both great TV's and good value for money, neither should disappoint (and who cares what other people think ? And if you bought the "best" it will be short lived).

phil5743 I too am in the same boat as you, the C8000 was the only TV I could get into the house and that was based on girlfriend friendly aesthetics, personally I'd have probably bought a Sony. I'd also agree with your observation that to compare two or more televisions in a shop is almost impossible as there is so much software running on the sets to constantly adjust the picture it will take a day to get the optimal settings ! I wish these things would work perfectly with out of the box settings.

Samsung46

Standard Member
I am blown away with my 46C8000. It has so many features, I keep finding more :). Plus the wife and I love the silver edge. The C750 did not enter my mind and has remained so. It suits our needs down to a tee, the 2d to 3d feature is just amazing!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom