LE32R41B/LE32R41BD Colour and Screen Settings Thread

hamd01

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I thought that since so many people have purchased this set, it might be worth a new thread on the topic of its optimal screen, and colour settings.

There seems to be great debate about brightness sensor being left on or off, or the auto-contrast.

I'll post my settings as soon as I have had more time to play around.... but would those who have got the set how they would consider 'perfect' please post their entire config (setting they have altered).

Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor ON
Colour Tone Normal

Contrast 90
Brightness 54
Sharpness 0
Colour 42

And in my colour control
Pink 0
Green 75
Blue 50

I change my settings daily at the moment!

I've got several different inputs and they all seem to require a different setup,
luckily the blue 'P.Mode' button helps a lot.

This week i'm mostly using these:

Dynamic: Con 90, Bri 50, Sha 50, Col 45
Standard: Con 90, Bri 40, Sha 70, Col 50
Movie: Con 60, Bri 50, Sha 25, Col 60
Custom: Con 75, Bri 55, Sha 50, Col 85

Although i'll probably have changed them again by the end of the day!

It would be nice to see what you guys are using too

I generally go for an in between, between contrast and brightness so here`s my settings

For xbox running progressive scan (brightness needs cranking up more than usual for progressive scan on the xbox for some reason)

contrast 90
brightness 70
sharpness 15
colour 51

All settings are with dynamic contrast OFF and backlight sensor ON.

After a few weeks I have settled on this - blacks are black and everything is just right - well I am happy

Mode Custom
Digital NR ON
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor OFF
Size Auto Wide

Contrast 80
Brightness 53
Sharpnesss 50
Colour 54
Colour Tone NORMAL

Hope this helps - I use this for SKY (RGB SCART) and DVD (S VIDEO)

Just waiting to buy an upscalling DVD Player now ;-)

I use this on an LE40R51, but may be of use to you:

Component inputs (Analog / HDMI Y Cb Cr)
Contrast 70
Brightness 70
Sharpness 25
Colour 45
Tone Warm2

For RGB inputs (RGB scart, HDMI RGB, DVI):
Contrast 70
Brightness 60
Sharpness 25
Colour 45
Tone Warm2

(PC just uses 'standard' preset).

Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor OFF (consider lowering contrast and having a single setup you are happy with instead of turning the sensor on, which could cause variable results).

Following a few threads on here & on the US sites I have just turned my pink down to zero & green up to 70. Skintones on sky now look so much better !

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I watch them on a PJ next door. Why not note your colour settings & give it a go ?

Here's the rest as it probably all matters :

Sha 75
Bri 50
Con 90
Col 50

Tone - Nor

:smashin:

A O Malley said:
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor ON
Colour Tone Normal

Contrast 90
Brightness 54
Sharpness 0
Colour 42

And in my colour control
Pink 0
Green 75
Blue 50

Nice settings, skin tones look alot better now :thumbsup:

Anybody else want to post their settings.
Anyone got setting with the HD-950 dvd player

I've been playing around trying to get a setting I'm happy with so I can just leave it at that. It's a shame that the TV doesn't remember picture settings for each input souce along with individual Dynamic Contrast and Brightness Sensor settings really (so you can, say, have them off for console games via component but on for DVDs, etc.) but at least you can edit the four presets so it's not a total loss.

My current settings are:

Dynamic Contrast: OFF (although it improves blacks, it masks some detail when watching DVDs and makes the colours in console games look too "harsh".)
Brightness Sensor: ON (This seems to help improve blacks when watching TV at night with the light off. With it OFF, the backlight is on full and makes them appear dark grey.)

Contrast: 85
Brightness: 55
Sharpness: 25
Colour: 50
Tone: Normal

My Colours: Default

They seem to give me a nice vibrant picture from all sources, both during the day and at night. I've been adjusting them over the last week but my settings always return to these!

P.S. Does anyone know why when you turn the (soft-modded) Xbox on with component video connected, that the picture appears overbright until the Dashboard kicks in (I've got that set to 480p)? Interlace looks too bright and then when progressive scan is activated the picture looks fine! :confused:

P.P.S. There are four pre-set picture settings: Custom, Dynamic, Standard and Movie but presumably they are all the same albeit using different settings, in other words if I change the settings the same for all four will I get an identical picture or do they have something built-in to them to make them each unique?

Can anyone post their favoured picture settings (Brightness / Contrast / Sharpness etc) specifically for the Freeview (BD) version of this set?

Had them as I wished then checked my Firmware version in the Service Menu and upon exiting all my settings reverted to the default values. After tinkering around I can't seem to get the picture to my likeing again. Mainly watch Freeview through the integrated tuner so suggestions as to favoured settings for this would be appreciated. Cheers.

A O Malley said:
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor ON
Colour Tone Normal

Contrast 90
Brightness 54
Sharpness 0
Colour 42

And in my colour control
Pink 0
Green 75
Blue 50

Awful settings these, everyone looks like they got Jaundice (face)!

My settings (in conjunction with THX optimiser)

Contrast 85
Brightness 67
Sharpness 0
Colour 42

and leave my colour control alone! (unless your an expert)!

Brightness sensor on (as I am assuming this conserves energy and dosent really make a difference on picture quality)

IMHO

Hi there, just had delivery of my screen and having a few problems with rgb sources (DVD/Xbox)

The built in freeview looks superb and the pc via vga looks absolutely amazing but rgb looks absolutely terrible. Murky and compressed, and changing settings doesn't improve much. It's either very dark or washed out. For example standard 'film' setting with my rgb dvd player (good cable aswell) looks terrible :(

Swapping the scart to the non rbg ext2 and despite the slight fuzziness the colours look much better :confused: :confused:

Any advice?

Thanks

Dom

I'm not sure if this is fact but my screen seemed to take a day or so to 'break in', then the picture on bad sources seems to get a little better.

My settings:

Global
Digital NR OFF
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor OFF
My Colour Control Default 50/50/50

Analogue TV
Contrast 100
Brightness 45
Sharpness 0
Colour 50
Colour Tone Normal

Console RGB
Contrast 100
Brightness 55
Sharpness 0
Colour 50
Colour Tone Normal

PC VGA
Contrast 100
Brightness 40
Sharpness 0
Colour 50
Colour Tone Normal

Seems good to me, the analogue TV picture is still pretty bad but I suppose garbage in = garbage out with these LCD TVs.

Do you have any setup for samsung HD850/950 hdmi input? thanks

After owning this set for just over a week now, I've found that these settings ranges help with poor quality sources (at a comfortable viewing distance of 3-4 metres):

Dynamic Contrast OFF
Brightness Sensor ON or OFF, depending on room conditions

Contrast 90-100
Brightness 52-58
Sharpness 50 (i.e. true 'zero' for this feature, should be -50 to +50 really)
Colour 38-45
Colour Tone: Normal or Warm1

As most sources look their best within these ranges to my eyes, I've set my modes to different combinations of these. Here's my current Standard, for example, which I use for DTV:

Contrast 95
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Colour 38
Colour Tone: Warm1 (gives better greys, I find)

After much fiddling, I've discovered that there's very little that can be done to salvage sources with poor colour balance and analogue compression. This set is particuarly unforgiving of low contrast + low brightness + over-saturated sources. On the other hand, there's very little you can do wrong with a decent source ... apart from using Dynamic Contrast, of course. :)

For some reason it looks great now?? :)

Bit more fiddling and it looks fantastic!

EDIT, hmm Xbox does, dvd still looks very dark and murky :confused:

I would watch mine and think what a brilliant picture, then the following day think how rubbish it was.

After some digging, I think the problems are due to different channels and even different programs being broadcast at different qualities. I read that Home and Away on channel 5 is broadcast/recorded at a high quality so programs like this are good for testing.

So, during the first few weeks of owning one of these sets, you end up changing settings all the time when in fact its the quality of the broadcasted programs that are varying.

Tim

CSI NY looks awesome on channel 5, I don't know what sort of quality it's broadcast in but it's definately one of the best quality i've seen through NTL

I'd be interested to know if anyone has managed successfully to balance RGB settings in the service menu using DVE (PAL). I've spent a couple of hours using the colour filters with the different test screens (on the composite input), and while the blue channel is reasonably OK, the default red and green channel settings are WAY off. Tweaking individual RGB offset and gain settings helps a bit to balance the red channel, but I can't get any improvement at all in the green (which is also the most off) without completely blowing the contrast/brightness.

Not sure whether this odd default RGB calibration is due the DNIe, or just a quirk of my set, or a peculiarity of LCD TVs. Perhaps the DVE filters aren't compatible with the greys produced by the set, making the filters useless?

Of course, there could be a magic combination of settings that I just haven't hit on yet ... anyone else had any luck with this?

Note: changing colour level and individual colour settings in the main picture menu don't help at all to balance all three channels.

Just wanted to bump this as I am finding it really useful. Still cant settle on the best setting for NTL cable via scart. Seems to be a case of making the best of bad quality data but still, would appreciate any more tips :)

does anyone elses wife think they are mad for sitting here in front of the TV/Sky/DVD examining the picture and continually playing with settings?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom