1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LE32R41B - horrendous analogue performance via aerial?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by thelawnet, Aug 31, 2005.

1. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So I went into Dixons.

They had the Philips 9986, 9976, the Samsung LE32R51BD, the Sony KLV32M1, and the JVC LT32A60. All looked good, with the 9986 and the M1 the best.

However the Samsung looked DREADFUL. The amount of fuzziness was unbelievable for an £1100 highly rated panel. I asked the assitant if there was something wrong with the cable, so he swapped it with the Sony next to it.

Same result. Awful.

Dixons do obviously set up their sets badly, with 30 TVs running off a single DVD player with aerial splitter, but it was a level playing field - all the TVs had bad sources.

Now I was planning to buy this TV, but having seen this I have changed my mind, as I was going to be feeding it an aerial from an analogue cable box (Telewest).

So was the set faulty (seems unlikely, it didn't look faulty, just crap), or is this standard, and should I look for another TV?

I do note both reviews on homecinemachoice mention poor analogue performance. But not this bad surely? My wife would beat me if I spent hundreds on something looking as bad as it did.

Incidentally, they also had LG sets, all of which had their own dedicated signal and looked much better as a result. I guess this is specified by LG in their terms of dealing with Dixons. I'm surprised that brands like Sony don't ask for this as well.....

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The Samsung doesn't have particularly impressive processing for older sources, but that's why it's close to half the price of those that do. (£800 vs £1500+)

With progressive sources it looks amazing. Frankly analogue looks bad on anything, even a 14" CRT (we've got the RF feed from our cable box run through to the kitchen tv)

You should look into the Sharp "P" series; they'll give you the best picture from that source, as they're not HD panels, they're designed for SD content, but it still won't look great. Garbage in = garbage out with an LCD. A CRT tends to blur the image so much that it doesn't look so bad (it can still look "sharp" but there's no real detail) wheras an LCD shows up every little flaw in the image. (but it also shows up every tiny detail from a good source)

3. davefuggle

davefuggle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of the TVs I've recently seen in John Lewis, Comet, Currys etc running off analogue feed look dreadful in the shop - including the Samsung 32" LCD that I have.

At home running off the loft aerial from Crystal Palace 46Km away looks OK (certainly much better than in the shops) - esp if LNA is enabled. With a stronger signal I'd expect a better picture (at least lower noise)

Q: Does your Telewest box output UHF only or does it have a scart or other connection?

Dave

4. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the telewest box is UHF. I'm pretty sure all analogue cable boxes are the same in this respect.

Anyway, FWIW, I went into Currys today, same setup, and the Samsung looked just fine. So I guess Dixons had really screwed something up.

5. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    They may have had Dynamic Contrast on which I'd imagine does little to enhance a poor analogue signal.

6. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As any1 tried cable tv with that set??

I have cable at home and i'm not expecting a good video quality with the cable tv...

7. davefuggle

davefuggle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demostenes, I'm on NTL Digital, which looks generally OK (via RGB Scart), though I do notice the variation in quality due to changing bit rate more on this set than the previous old CRT.

Dave

8. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the Sammy in Dixons today. I thought the picture through the RF connection was very good, better than the Sony next to it. I did try out the DNIe demo and the side without it looked rather poor, perhaps they had it turned off?

9. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You can't turn off DNIe, only the demo showing what the picture is like with it on and off.

10. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I know the service menu says it's always on, but the DNIe demo just looks like all it does is turn on Dynamic Contrast.