LE32R41B Brightness Sensor option

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by slysy, Mar 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. slysy

slysy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,

When I enable the brightness sensor option, I see a bar on screen getting smaller and the brightness gradually gets lower and lower. It seems to end up with a very dark picture on the screen, regardless of the amount of light in the room. It's about the same as if I had set the brightness to 0 and the sensor off. Does it sound like my set is faulty? What is supposed to happen?

Many thanks for any help.

EDIT: I just tried putting a lamp just in front of the TV and the brightness sensor bar then went down to about 1/2. So I guess it does work to an extent, it just gives a picture too dark for the amount of light in the room.

2. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Only thing I can think of is that the sensor may be covered up, thereby giving an artifical brightness response.

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Make sure there are no shadows being cast on the set. This sensor is the only way the backlight can be adjusted on this set to improve blacks.

When the backlight drops down, the brightness will have to be raised to properly set the black point, however.

4. Hamslay

Hamslay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check out my thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300088

Basically it seems that the Samsung just gets too dark with the sensor activated. You have to decide whether to turn the sensor on, and use Settings close Dynamic (which is still a bit dark) or turn the sensor off and use settings close to Standard (a bit too bright).

I spoke to 2 or 3 Samsung engineers and that's just the way it is. :(

5. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi
    I don't understand this. I have the sensor switched on and it works perfectly. I have the standard setting as the norm and have no problems with it getting too dark...So obviously thats not just the way it is.
    I would suggest that if that is the case on his or your set then they are faulty..

6. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think it would have been nice for them to have included manual control over the backlight as some people prefer the look of a slightly brighter picture than normal. With the brightness sensor off the picture is a little too bright for me eyes (to the point where it strains my eyes a little). With the brightness sensor on the picture is much easier on the eye, the blacks are a little truer also, yet i'd probably still like to be able to turn up the backlight 10% if i had manual control. The main problem with the brightness sensor for me is that it doesn't detect subtle candesant lighting at all, daylight is fine and strong candesant light it also detects ok. But it should really raise it's brightness level a little when i have the lounge light on (though looking at where our telly sits it is quite dark there even with the light on).

So in short i would probably say, leave the sensor on and turn on the Dynamic picture setting, perhaps tweak the brightness up a little from the standard setting.

On the bright side (no pun intended) i like to watch telly with the lights off and i find that the brightness sensor on at 0% is a perfect setting for this, less glare and no eye strain.

7. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I had a play around with my settings and now i'm very happy with the brightness sensor on now, it really is kinder to your eyes, if you set your screen to Dynamic and increase the brightness to 60 (and change cool1 to warm1) and reduce colour to say 42-45 - then in my opinion with Dynanic Contrast and the brightness sensor switched on you get a very good picture.

I tried it will the brightness sensor off and the contrast and brightness turned down but you loose PQ

Sensor on for me!