Quantcast

Le Mans '66 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tim2049

"Le Mans '66 in others (presumably because Americans may wonder whether they need to watch the 65 previous movies)"

Brilliant!! Laughed until I coughed reading that. Now I'm amused and somewhat paranoid...

Great review. Agree 100%. Thought this was/is excellent. Especially the way both Bale and Damon disappear into their roles. Totally believable, both of them. Great film, great looking/sounding disc.

kahlua

great review cas,have watched this 3 times,great disc,great entertainment.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas, I picked this up on Sky store (as my free purchase for joining Sky last month). Even with the providers compressed UHD, no HDR and average audio, I really enjoyed it, looked fantastic.
Will be adding to the real UHD disc collection soon!

Evinger

My Wife loves cars that Growl. This has been on our watchlist since before it was made! :)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Saw it three times at the cinema and now on 4K disc. Superb film and fabulous disc. 10/10 for me.

The_Wierd

Thought this was an excellent movie, really great entertainment. I'm not a motorsports fan, so knew pretty much nothing about the history, people or even the Le Mans race, but it was great. Christian Bale was so good I completely forgot the actor and only saw Ken Miles. I don't know how accurate the performance was, but his character was completely believable. Seems like it was a bit of a stretch to position Ford as the underdog, but it still made for an interesting story. The energy of the driving and racing scenes was perfectly captured, and the recreation of the period was superb.

Rented on Apple TV, 4K with Atmos, and I have to say this was one of the best looking and sounding movies I have ever seen, absolutely incredible detail, no sign of reduced bandwidth, and the Atmos sound was blistering.

Last edited:

the_dude2

Thanks for the review Cas. Watched this the other night knowing nothing about the actual events nor much about the film, apart from it had an excellent soundtrack, Jeeze the soundtrack is amazing, rendered superbly on my dARTS system. Loved the film itself too, definitely a 9/10 for me.

Base13

I’m a motor racing fan, so very interested in this film, but one thing worries me is the “loud-as-hell” soundtrack. I hate films I have to turn keep turning the sound up and down so that I can hear the vocals, but not disturb the people around me (especially as I often only get a chance to watch a film late on). Is that likely to be a problem with this film?

Steve356

Distinguished Member
I’m a motor racing fan, so very interested in this film, but one thing worries me is the “loud-as-hell” soundtrack. I hate films I have to turn keep turning the sound up and down so that I can hear the vocals, but not disturb the people around me (especially as I often only get a chance to watch a film late on). Is that likely to be a problem with this film?
I had no such problems on my system. I didn't play it super loud either, probably about 20dB below reference if that helps.

Marth308

I am a motor racing fan and have attended Le Mans over 30 times, and other endurance races.

The film is excellent and you get the feeling of the cars.

It's a film and not a documentary, much of the detail is incorrect, like Ken Miles missing Le Mans, he was there in 1965 and 1966, as well as IRC he was due to race a larger engined Daytona Coupe, the Ferrari Ford time line is wrong too, these are all minor - Its a great film

jakimp

thanks Cas but this is a 10 for me

until this year I have been to the race for the last 10 years so I was always going to love this film I suspect but even I was amazed when I saw the film as it is an excellent film/story/characters/action with the race action as good as it is somewhat overshadowed by the human story/characters

for me easily in the best 2 or 3 films of last year

veedub

Superb detailed review, been looking forward to this one a while (didn’t manage to see it during the theatrical run). After reading the review and subsequent comments - I cannot wait to check the 4K disk out 👍

Bonus is that I’ve just set up a Second Monolith Plus sub in the Cinema Room, Le Mans 66 is going to be my first dual sub demo this weekend, 7.2.4 Atmos here we go 🎥

Last edited:

The_Wierd

It's a film and not a documentary, much of the detail is incorrect, like Ken Miles missing Le Mans, he was there in 1965 and 1966, as well as IRC he was due to race a larger engined Daytona Coupe, the Ferrari Ford time line is wrong too, these are all minor - Its a great film
I did a bit of Googling after watching it, and it was interesting seeing what details had changed, but in this case I think they were justified in terms of giving the story more focus and it didn't change the outcome.

One thing I barely noticed, as it is mentioned so briefly in the movie, is that the GT40 was designed and built in Britain. Seems only the last version was made in the US after several years of wins, but the movie almost brushes over this. Just thought that was interesting, and would have liked to see more about that.

Also the documentary "Steve McQueen The Man & Le Mans", currently on the BBC iPlayer, is a great complement to this movie to compare the real footage to the recreation (and very good in it's own right).

There was blood coming out of my ears. Is that bad?

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. Definitely top of my rental list with a buy to follow if it meets the criteria! Not my sort of film really but I like the sound of this one and the Bale/Damon connection sounds perfect.

encaser

Top film. Top review, Cas.
Reminds me of listening to Queen's I'm in love with my car as a nipper, in it's fascination.
More recently, seeing Lewis Hamilton's interview by Dave Letterman on his, My Next Guest Needs No Introduction on Netflix, is rather awe inspiring and touching to see the lengths he and his dad went to to get Hamilton up there. Letterman is a car head and seeing the two of them on the race track in a high end saloon is fun. Well worth a watch, too.

Valen

Great movie and a great review!

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Once I'd got past Bale's accent I thoroughly enjoyed this, an absolute spectacle.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Yeah I also had a problem with Bale's accent, but soon got over it. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, and that Atmos mix was incredible. When Shelby did the fly-by I actually looked up as it went over! 🤣