• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be down from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for quite some time while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

LE-A656 settings thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had lots of posts in the LE-A656 thread regarding optimal settings for the A656 series TV's but no one has responded with calibrated settings.

Starting this thread so that owners can post their optimal settings...

I'm on default settings at the moment. Will update my settings as soon as I can get my hands on a calibration DVD/Blu-Ray Disc

Calibrated settings for firmware 1011.2 on a LE52A656

Updated 2008.07.19

These settings have been reported to also look good on 40" and 46" sets.
Please post your feedback.

HD settings

Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 51
Tint: G49/R51

Detailed settings submenu
Black adjust: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Color space: Custom
R 50 0 0
G 45 50 0
B 0 15 50
Y 50 45 0
C 33 50 50
M 43 11 50
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off
White balance submenu
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 19
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 29

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
HDMI black level: Low
Blue only mode: Off

Setup menu
Entertainment: Off
Energy saving: Off

Gamma:

RGB levels:

Colour temp.:

CIE:

SD settings (PAL devices)

Picture menu
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 44
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50 (or N/A)

Detailed settings submenu
Black adjust: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Color space: Custom
R 50 0 3
G 35 50 0
B 0 15 50
Y 50 45 0
C 25 44 50
M 45 12 50
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off
White balance submenu
R-Offset: 26
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 19
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 28

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Auto
Digital NR: Off
HDMI black level: Low
Blue only mode: Off

Setup menu
Entertainment: Off
Energy saving: Off

Gamma:

RGB levels:

Colour temp.:

CIE:

Service menu

This is the default settings from my service menu on 1011.2 (on a LE52A656). For the above calibration nothing in my service menu has been changed, but to get optimal results you will have to change your settings to these (they are not the same on each set). These settings might also remove some of the problems with a purple tint on some LE46A656 sets.

1. Enter the service menu by turning off the tv. Press "info", "menu", "mute" and "power" on the remote.
2. Select WB Adjust menu (arrow down, ok).

3. Select Movie WB (arrow down x 3, ok).

4. Turn W/B Movie to "ON" (right arrow).
5. Change the Warm2 settings - Warm2 R Gain, Warm2 B Gain, Warm2 R Offs, Warm2 B Offs. (using only arrow keys).

6. Turn W/B Movie to "Off" (place 'cursor' on W/B Movie, left right).
7. Go back to the main menu. (menu, menu)
8. Turn off tv. (power)
9. Re-enter the service menu and check that the W/B Movie settings (the 4 values you changed) are correct (just to be sure).

Also you might want to check the "gamma" value in the "Options Table". This should be the same as below.

And you can check the White Balance menu for these settings when W/B Movie is set to Warm2 (or it will show the default Cool1).

Remember: Going to the service menu will cause all your user level settings to go back to defaults. Always note down anything you change in the Service Menu so you can go back.

Last edited:

Melkor

Novice Member
I'll have a play around with mine when I get in from work, was delivered earlier today and only had a brief look after setting it up during my lunch break, so will go into more depth later settings wise - though it would be get to get some opinions from other members.

Orinoko

Standard Member
Just got this tv last week, very pleased with the overall pic quality and SD is excellent - Ive been messing around with the settings all week the brightness and contrast seem set too high initially also dropped the backlight to 5, whats with the "Dynamic" preset it looks awful when you try that!

Im interested to see some other peoples settings.... :thumbsup:

steve k

Just got this tv last week, very pleased with the overall pic quality and SD is excellent - Ive been messing around with the settings all week the brightness and contrast seem set too high initially also dropped the backlight to 5, whats with the "Dynamic" preset it looks awful when you try that!

Im interested to see some other peoples settings.... :thumbsup:
Can you post your setting please for us to try :thumbsup:

J

jamescullis

I got my LE40A656 earlier this week as a replacement for an LE40F86BD that Currys lent to me (long story!) I'm struggling with the settings. The settings I had for the F86 don't seem quite right. Its as though there is a lot of glare and I can't get a balance between enough definition in the blacks and the whites being overwhelming. Has anyone got any settings they are happy with? Any help would be appreciated.
:lease:

Orinoko

Standard Member
Glad someone started before me :)

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 33
Sharpness: 50
Colour: 40
Tint: 50/50

Black Adjust: off
Dynamic Contrast: Med

100Hz Motion Plus: Medium

Colourtone: Normal

Thats just the settings from the intergrated freeview the brightness and sharpness are slightly different on the Ext2 (DVD input)

Im still not completely happy so will keep messing!

kmm

This is how I set my 40LE-A656 up before it died on me a couple of days later.

I used the HD-DVD version of Digital Video Essentials and I liked the following settings:

Backlight = 7
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 0
Colour = 50
Tint = 50
Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Low
Gamma = +1
Colourspace = Auto
Flex = 0
Edge = Off
tvycc = Off
Colour Temp = Warm2
Size = Just Scan
Digital NR = Off
100Hz = Low
Blue = Off

I use those settings on all my HDMI inputs (4 devices) and I am quite pleased with the results. The only thing I find is that the colours are a little bit too intense, but that is the correct colour/tint setting as per the DVE filters.

It could simply be that I have had the colours too low on my old TV and I am just going to have to get used to these. I could always simply drop the colour down to about 43 (that level of colour looked better to me), but the problem with that is, the DVE filters shows that the colour balance is off at that level, so I will stick with 50 for now.

I will expreiment a little bit more once I get my replacement TV on Friday.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Darbo

Final settings for freeview on my 40".....and i'm not touching them again!!

Backlight: 5

Contrast: 73

Brightness: 64

Colour: 55

Black Adjust: Medium

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Flesh Tone: +2

Edge Enhancement: On

Colour Tone: Warm 1

Digital NR: off

100 hz: Low

Anyone got any decent settings for ps3/movies? seems i have to adjust everything depending on whether i'm playing games or watching movies.

suninho

Standard Member
This is how I set my 40LE-A656 up before it died on me a couple of days later.

I used the HD-DVD version of Digital Video Essentials and I liked the following settings:

Backlight = 7
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 0
Colour = 50
Tint = 50
Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Low
Gamma = +1
Colourspace = Auto
Flex = 0
Edge = Off
tvycc = Off
Colour Temp = Warm2
Size = Just Scan
Digital NR = Off
100Hz = Low
Blue = Off

I use those settings on all my HDMI inputs (4 devices) and I am quite pleased with the results. The only thing I find is that the colours are a little bit too intense, but that is the correct colour/tint setting as per the DVE filters.

It could simply be that I have had the colours too low on my old TV and I am just going to have to get used to these. I could always simply drop the colour down to about 43 (that level of colour looked better to me), but the problem with that is, the DVE filters shows that the colour balance is off at that level, so I will stick with 50 for now.

I will expreiment a little bit more once I get my replacement TV on Friday.

Cheers,
Kevin.
Thank you for the help :thumbsup:...But about the Whit Balance what are the settings?

kmm

Thank you for the help :thumbsup:...But about the Whit Balance what are the settings?
Unfortunately, I hadn't made a note of those before my TV packed in :eek:

I'll do some more configuring over the week-end and post my results here.

Also, I have tentatively arrange for a professional ISF calibration to be carried out in June. That should set everything exactly as it should be.

Kevin.

rhaleuk

Novice Member
Final settings for freeview on my 40".....and i'm not touching them again!!

I'm now using the settings posted by Darbo. Kept them exactly the same but put the backlight up one extra notch which I think gets a bit more black detail but other than that they are massive improvement on the old Freeview settings. Thank you for taking the time to post.

saguk1234

I love the dynamic mode! I am getting a absolutely wicked PQ with these settings:

Dynamic mode
Backlight 7
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 100
Colour 50
Tint 50:50

Colour tone normal
Size just scan
DNR off
DNie on
HDMI black level off
100hz low

I use these settings for all sources.

If you have any opinions or improvements please tell me.

Thanks

W

welshman213

Cheers guys, will have a little play with these tonight.
Fingers crossed for more input, lots of us have this TV now.

Has any of you found the default settings to be very good?

I'm generally on the movie mode and its gr8 when watching matrix, etc...

Dynamic is a bit too bright and colours seem a bit harsh.

saguk1234

I have realised that the DNie when on makes the blacks darker but however at the expense of black detail. So I have turned it off! And I have also turned the brightness down.

However the picture quality seems to be getting better and better everyday!!

Dynamic mode
Backlight 7
Contrast 100
Brightness 45
Sharpness 100
Colour 50
Tint 50:50

Colour tone normal
Size just scan
DNR off
DNie off
HDMI black level off
100hz low

I might buy myself a Spyder 3 Elite. I will post the settings at 6,500k colour temp.

suninho

Standard Member
Unfortunately, I hadn't made a note of those before my TV packed in :eek:

I'll do some more configuring over the week-end and post my results here.

Also, I have tentatively arrange for a professional ISF calibration to be carried out in June. That should set everything exactly as it should be.

Kevin.
Hi,when are you going to post the full config?:smashin:

Tiago

convectuoso

Novice Member
I have a spyder2 pro so will have a play around with that and post the settings - probably tomorrow night.

ISF settings would be great if anyone's feeling flush ;)

Rolling Sly

I'm still tweaking my settings but a good starting point is MOVIE mode with colour tone on 'normal' and everything else left as standard.

Seems that although the 'black adjust' makes blacks look nice and black, you lose black detail.

saguk1234

If you use the dnie, black adjust, dynamic contrast or hdmi black level you will get black crush. So best to turn those off at all times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches CI 16-60 DSP amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett