LE-A656 settings thread *Part 3*

Just like you I "hate" those that don't search so offcourse I did search.
Could'nt find it (Google 15 min) so i asked it :)

And by the time he typed that post he could have just told you......:D

Ok to see the firmware, you need to enter the service menu. Turn the TV on to standby. On the remote press Info, Menu, Mute and then power one after the other.

Look down the page and it will tell you.

One warning about this is it will reset all of your picture settings as it restores back to factory defaults.

Also the standard warning here is be careful in here. Press the wrong thing in here and you could seriously screw up your telly.

Lol, seems samsung dont know what was sorted in the update either as they said to me it only sorted out a blurring issue :confused:

I thought this was sorted bloody ages ago lol

Hi guys,
I downloaded the file onto my USB and then the instructions tell you to double-click on the file, then click 'install'. I have no 'Install' button.

Please help...:rolleyes:

Hi guys I have the 22 inch version of this TV which i use soley for my xbox 360. Can anyone recommend me some settings to get a cracking picture please

@ Reggie Dunlop
You can extract "MT8226" folder via WINRAR, just right click on file "T-AMBPEUMD.exe", then press "extract here". So, you can put that folder on an usb drive and update.

Thanks Nex77.
I did that and plugged my USB into the TV. I followed the instructions - pressing source & power at the same time, but the only thing that happened is the red light was on permanently. No download screen, it was all blank.

Have you been smoking that whacky tabacky again? :hiya:

Anyway, with reference to 1022 resetting your user level settings, weren't there extenuating circumstances there?
1022 didn't reset my user level settings.

And yes, I do vaguely remember an update reseting my hours of use counter. :smashin:

Paul
Code level? Hi babe - you speak my language. What you doin' tonight? ;)

Er...where was I? Oh yeah - the previous update carried out (1022.0) reset all the user settings but this one did'nt. Nobody else posted user settings being reset.

I remember Paul that you posted a FW update done where the TV hours run shown in the service menu reset to zero.

Howzat! Caught in the slips!? :D
Alan

Thanks Nex77.
I did that and plugged my USB into the TV. I followed the instructions - pressing source & power at the same time, but the only thing that happened is the red light was on permanently. No download screen, it was all blank.

Hi Reggie

In standby, plug in the USB stick first. Then the Source button on the TV and the Power button on the remote have to be pressed at the same time.

The software upgrade screen will then appear.

Alan

Where are the updated setting lol chop chop.

Have you been smoking that whacky tabacky again? :hiya:

Anyway, with reference to 1022 resetting your user level settings, weren't there extenuating circumstances there?
1022 didn't reset my user level settings.

And yes, I do vaguely remember an update reseting my hours of use counter. :smashin:

Paul

Hi Paul

Sorry for the 'whacky' post of mine - too much whiskey. Gave up the tabacky many years ago.

My user settings going to default could have been caused by the power being off too long after the 1022 update (so someone suggested). But I think it was the update - I've had the power off the TV all day when doing some redecorating in the lounge and the settings were preserved. Anyway, thats in the past.

This latest FW update 1023 seems to have changed the motion or movement in the picture. The movement seems a little clearer - I hate to say it but motion seems more like a plasma TV or CRT.

Early days yet, but will see what shakes out with the new update.

Alan

No need to hate... just celebrate! :D

Sorry, looks like I'm at it now. :blush:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying 1023 and calibrating my panel ASAP.

Paul

P.s. When I was reading the service menu manual the other day, it states the 40", 46" and 52" panels have a 8000:1 contrast ratio. I guess that must be the native contrast ratio with no fancy gimmicktry switched on?!
The movement seems a little clearer - I hate to say it but motion seems more like a plasma TV or CRT.

No need to hate... just celebrate! :D

Sorry, looks like I'm at it now. :blush:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying 1023 and calibrating my panel ASAP.

Paul

P.s. When I was reading the service menu manual the other day, it states the 40", 46" and 52" panels have a 8000:1 contrast ratio. I guess that must be the native contrast ratio with no fancy gimmicktry switched on?!

Yeah - I do my best to maintain a balance, but there are so many posts which knock LCDs without justification that it tends to rub off.

I ignore the contrast ratio figures given out in the sales blurb. The 8000:1 you quoted is possibly correct as it comes from the technical side and not sales. Take the sales figure and halve it!

Alan

Hi all,

Just posted calibrated HD and SD settings including charts for firmware 1023.0 on the 1st page of this thread :thumbsup:

Firmware does include some changes to contrast and gamma is altered like in 1022.0.

Last edited:
Yeah - I do my best to maintain a balance, but there are so many posts which knock LCDs without justification that it tends to rub off.
I think I know which recent thread you're talking about and an individual in particular. ;)

I just ignore him. He repeats the same thing in each thread he responds too and has zero understanding of either technology by all accounts. This leads to the inevitable dribble of misinformation, fanboyism and arguements that were accurate 5 years ago but far from it now.
There's other things too but, I won't go into them right now. :D
I ignore the contrast ratio figures given out in the sales blurb. The 8000:1 you quoted is possibly correct as it comes from the technical side and not sales. Take the sales figure and halve it!

Alan
No need to think about either as I know exactly the contrast ratio my panel produces. :smashin:

Paul

Hi mate,

Good work.

Could you be specific on what changes you've seen? And do they benefit the picture from your perspective? Or not?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Firmware does include some changes to contrast and gamma is altered like in 1022.0.

Thank you for the info.

Now i am waiting of your perfect settings:thumbsup:

I have a question for you mumid:
What is the difference about Black Adjust and HDMI Black Level?
I have the Black adjust setting high and the HDMI Black level setting normal about your setting.
What is if i set Black adjust setting off and the HDMI Black level setting low?
What setting is better? or is it the same?
Thanx

Marcodj

Black adjust changes the low end of the gamma response, HDMI black level just tells the TV where 0% white should be (i.e total black). Black level = Normal tells the TV that black is at 0 (i.e PC video levels) whereas Black level = Low tells the TV that black is at 16 (i.e Studi video levels).

HDMI black level should be set depending on the device you have plugged in, Black adjust controls the low end gamma response, the settings are totally unrelated.

Hi mate,

Good work.

Could you be specific on what changes you've seen? And do they benefit the picture from your perspective? Or not?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Contrast is tweaked so primary green response is slightly reduced and gamma is also lowered (gamma change was in 1022.0 also) this results in a darker picture by default with better blacks. However, in order for me to get the gamma to track correctly, i have now needed to use the black adjust control to adjust the low end gamma response. Result is I have the best gamma tracking I have had yet on this TV. I havnt had time to watch much stuff yet but just looking at the calibrated results right now and the picture is looking stunning :smashin:

Thanks mate, great info.

I hope that tweak in primary green is good for me with my spike in green response.
I noticed the few changes in your settings and graphs after posting up the question for you actually.
That change in Black Adjust is quite marked along with the couple of points of blue gain...

Glad your pleased with the results so far mate, the graphs certainly look spot on.

I've recorded South Pacific and another documentary program from BBC HD this evening so, I'll have a couple of good tests for the new settings once I get them loaded up and calibrated. :smashin:

Paul
Contrast is tweaked so primary green response is slightly reduced and gamma is also lowered (gamma change was in 1022.0 also) this results in a darker picture by default with better blacks. However, in order for me to get the gamma to track correctly, i have now needed to use the black adjust control to adjust the low end gamma response. Result is I have the best gamma tracking I have had yet on this TV. I havnt had time to watch much stuff yet but just looking at the calibrated results right now and the picture is looking stunning :smashin:

Last edited:
Thanks mate, great info.

I hope that tweak in primary green is good for me with my spike in green response.
I noticed the few changes in your settings and graphs after posting up the question for you actually.
That change in Black Adjust is quite marked along with the couple of points of blue gain...

Glad your pleased with the results so far mate, the graphs certainly look spot on.

I've recorded South Pacific and another documentary program from BBC HD this evening so, I'll have a couple of good tests for the new settings once I get them loaded up and calibrated. :smashin:

Paul

Go for it mate - you got nothing to lose!

My calibrated black level is 0.05 cd/m2, I read a review that the B650 has a class leading 0.04 cd/m2 black level calibrated but i think that tv has auto dimming on so the blacks on the a656 are not too shabby really!

Lookin forward to hearing about your results :smashin:

Calibrated HD and SD settings for LE40A656, firmware 1023.0

HD REC709 Settings:

Charts -

(all delta errors below 3.2)
2uep46c.jpg

Settings:

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 52
Tint: 50/50

Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +1

Colour space:
Red 25 0 5
Green 39 46 0
Blue 0 9 31
Yellow 45 45 0
Cyan 39 45 43
Magenta 20 0 37

White Balance:
R-offs 25
G-offs 25
B-offs 24
R-gain 29
G-gain 25
B-gain 21

Colour tone: Warm1
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal\Greyed out for component, Low for RGB 16-235, Normal for RGB 0-255.
100hz Motion Plus: Off (Can be set to 'Low' for non film based material)
Blue Only Mode: Off

SD PAL settings:

Charts -

(all delta errors below 3)
nvtw8l.jpg

Settings:

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 52
Tint: 50/50 (Greyed out)

Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +1

Colour space:
Red 16 0 6
Green 28 33 0
Blue 0 8 19
Yellow 44 44 0
Cyan 28 38 39
Magenta 11 0 25

White Balance:
R-offs 25
G-offs 25
B-offs 25
R-gain 29
G-gain 25
B-gain 21

Colour tone: Warm1
Size: Auto Wide
Screen Size: 4:3
Digital NR: Off
DNIe: Greyed out
HDMI Black Level: Greyed Out
100hz Motion Plus: Off (Can be set to 'Low' for non film based material)
Blue Only Mode: Off

Calibrated settings for firmware 1022.0 - http://www.avforums.com/forums/9335562-post787.html

Calibrated settings for firmware 1015.0 and below - http://www.avforums.com/forums/8378061-post82.html

the ps3 looks great on the hd ones thanks.

Thanks for the new settings, however i still need to stick my Colour Tone to Normal as opposed to Warm 1 as Warm 1 introduces to much green.

Do you hale to change the bin file fron amb to prl on this update??

HDMI black level should be set depending on the device you have plugged in, Black adjust controls the low end gamma response, the settings are totally unrelated.

Thank you very much for the new settings:smashin:
I has another important ask for you.
What is my device/HDMI black level setting?
I have an HDTV Receiver (Edision Argus) plugged with HDMI cable on the 46A656. When i now watch SD TV what HDMI black level settings i must use?
Normal or low. I have not the foggiest idea.
And then what Complete settings of your HD REC709 Settings for 1023 i must use HD or SD?
Logical would be SD but the HDTV Receiver is plugged in with HDMI cabel?
I hope you understand me.

thank you already once

Last edited:
Do you hale to change the bin file fron amb to prl on this update??

No. You only need do it once, and only if you have an older TV.

Newer TVs will already have AMBER firmware installed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom