ld it be possible to connect a freesat dish to a sony bravia kdl40w5500 and recieve

saadgooner

Standard Member
Reaction score
freesat channels?

or does the tv have to have freesat built in? for example the sony kdl46w5810?

and if not, how do i get around this? ie how do i recieve hd freesat channels on the kdl40w5500? do i have to buy an freesat HD reciever?
can anyone recommend a cheap but good freesat reciever?

thanks alot i really appreciate any help

No, the kdl40w5500 does not have a DVB-S(2) tuner in it so can not receive Freesat.
Yes, you can receive Freesat with the kdl46w5810.

Yes, you can purchase a Freesat receiver to view Freesat connected to your TV via HDMI. The Humax FOXSAT-HD receiver is a good one, you can get cheaper but those other boxes are no good...

ok thanks alot for your help its much appreciated.

I know this is a freeview question, but to recieve the 3 freeview HD channels, does one need a really top class external aerial, or can it just be a normal one. Im moving into an area in Manchester M20 which is a communal flat which wont allow me to put a freesat dish, so if i connect the kdl46w5810u to the aerial socket in the wall, should this be ok for a signal.

Im a bit worried that as the flat is communal the signal strengh may not be enough for HD but as i said i dont know exactly how strong it should be. Iv ask the letting people and they said the previous tennant had a big tv with freeview but i doubt it was freeview HD.

Any Help would be appreciated

Last edited:
thanks thankfully it says it is available, but does it depend on the overall quality of the aerial? like if its old or 'divided' into the other flats?

Also, is there anything i can do to improve the aerial signal if it needs it?

Or would an internal aerial work?

thanks alot again

Last edited:
ok thanks alot for your help its much appreciated.

I know this is a freeview question, but to recieve the 3 freeview HD channels, does one need a really top class external aerial, or can it just be a normal one. Im moving into an area in Manchester M20 which is a communal flat which wont allow me to put a freesat dish, so if i connect the kdl46w5810u to the aerial socket in the wall, should this be ok for a signal.

Im a bit worried that as the flat is communal the signal strengh may not be enough for HD but as i said i dont know exactly how strong it should be. Iv ask the letting people and they said the previous tennant had a big tv with freeview but i doubt it was freeview HD.

Any Help would be appreciated

There really is only one way to find out and that's to connect one and see

If the previous tenant had a big tv with freeview and it worked well then you should be ok

But remember what Mandy said

The letting agent would say that, wouldn't he. He's after getting you to sign

Can you ask any of the other tenants in the block if they get good freeview reception?

thanks thankfully it says it is available, but does it depend on the overall quality of the aerial? like if its old or 'divided' into the other flats?

thanks alot again

Yes it depends on the quality of the whole installation, aerial, wiring, amplifiers

It's unlikely you could improve the reception. The landlord would need to improve the system

An internal aerial is unlikely to work

thanks alot again

Order a Freeview HD box online, and try it out. If you need a bigger aerial for it to work, then return it within 7 days.

It is not as though you are not going to move into this place because you can't get HD - is it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom