1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCR2 All round ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Malone, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Woe is me I have found out today the B&W 603's, in fact all their range aren't shielded, I'd set my heart on the S2 package after looking at various setups.
    But is there a glimmer of hope on the horizon,
    the chap in the shop suggested using the LCR2 as fronts,rears,centre and rear centre which hopefully would solve the shielding problem at the front as they would have to be within 4-5 inches of the TV.

Does this sound plausible? And is anybody else using this configuration.

Matt...........

2. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Home Entertainment magazine did a test of almost this exact set-up in issue 71. [It was done in the days prior to needing a centre rear/centre rears.] The package was awarded 4 Stars and they said "Open and lively sound!" I remember seeing the test but they don't appear to have it on their website.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Jim Robson (edited 19-03-2001).]

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Cheers Jim, yeah at least by the mere fact that it has been done means its plausible so it will be worth further investigation

Matt..........

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't worry too much about having your LCR6's on stands as I have my 4 x surrounds on 70cm tall Target stands. When I tell you that my surrounds are B&W 603 S2's you'll realise that they stand about 5 ft tall! The tweeters are level with my ears but only when I'm standing up!

You only have cats and dogs, not elephants!

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

PS The LCR6 S2 is specifically designed to work vertically or horizontally.

PPS At £350 each you're talking 6x £350 = £2,100 plus you'll need a subwoofer! Not exactly cheap!

[This message has been edited by Jim Robson (edited 20-03-2001).]

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Malone

I used to have some Revox speakers that we LCRs - worked well but a decent sub is a must.

You might want to listen to the B&W LCRs in their different orientations (vertical or horizontal) as the dispersion and tone may change depending on which way round they are.

I read something somewhere in a manual that traditional centre speakers must be horizontal to give the correct sound - LCR speakers should be OK but worth checking.

You should also think about how they will be mounted. On stands vertically ? Can be very tall and a little unstable (mine were blue-tacked onto nice and solid Atacama SE20 stands but I still had to be careful..)

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thats a good point as unlike normal speakers where the weight is at the bottom these would have a higher centre of balance, hummm,
    now you've got me thinking.
    These too would be sitting on speaker stands, and with cats and a dog, well, I cant imagine them staying put for very long!

Back to the drawing board!!

Matt...............

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LCR6 may be designed to work horizontally or vertically but it is far better suited to the vertical than the horizontal - check out the dispersion characteristics on B&W's web site. I thought of getting an LCR6 as a centre and rejected it because of the poor dispersion when laid on its side. Far better to get a centre which is desgned explicitly as a centre.

9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Matt, you might be interested to know that HiFi Choice reviewed 5 x LCR6 + the ASW1000 sub in their January 2000 issue. For some unknown reason this review is not on their website but as I'm in a generous mood I'll quote some of the things they said:

"I suppose movie fans will welcome the additional bass provided by the subwoofer but for music programmes the room balance provided by five LCR6s needs little if any extra bass and actually shows a rather good in-room extension down to 20Hz."

"The LCR6s take on a real mantle of authority, telling it like it is with the sort of dynamic grip and drive that's rare at any price."

They concluded:

"In short, the subwoofer is only really needed for largish rooms and where movie replay is a primary application. Although the 5 x LCR6 combo isn't the cheapest or most lounge-friendly package around, it's sparkling performance adds up to a redoubtable stereo/surround speaker system that fully deserves enthusiastic recommendation."

So there you have it.

10. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks for all the replys, a variety of opinions the majority agreeing with the LCR6 as a viable set up.

Cheers Matt that last paragraph has, I believe, convinced me

Matt M.............

[This message has been edited by Malone (edited 21-03-2001).]