1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCOS vs LCD rptv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pete Delaney, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i'm warming up to a major tv purchase. Went into comet and saw a new Samsung lcd rptv....looked stunning, on a stand with room for all my av kit. Was also very slim, a 43 inch screen with much less depth than a 32 inch crt!

The salesman told me the picture would degrade over time and then ranted on about not to worry due to their guarantees etc (a very obvious and cheesy sales pitch). However, there may be truth in some of what he said, price was £1999. I would like to know how much a new lamp for this kind of product would cost and how long it is likely to last. After all the only thing which has stopped me from buying a projector instead has been bulb life and replacement cost, as I would use it like I would an everyday 'tv'. Also, would the lcd rptv picture degrade with bulb life?

After doing a few searches I came across 'LCOS' technology, is this a better alternative? I suspect screen burn would not be a problem? Basically I want an rptv which looks like a huge crt but has a quality picture and less depth than a large crt plus storage space available beneath it for av kit.

This gives me 2 choices lcd rptv and lcos tv (philips do them). I was also told I would need an engineeer to come out and 'set-up' the picture on the Samsung(don't know if this is true).

Has anybody out there got a working knowledge of these products, they really do look the dogs whatsits and they are aesthetically pleasing to the wife also (need to strike whilst iron is hot). I was also v pleased with massive viewing angle on the Samsung, approx 160 degrees. Sounds like the philips also have some HD capability!!

I have sent Philips UK an e-mail to try and find out price of their sets and details of when we can expect to see them in the shops (watch this space).

Opinions please:cool:

Thanks in advance,
    Pete.

2. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I think the Samsung you saw was this one

for less dosh :)

I have been wanting to see one for much the same reasons as you ie stick the A-V clobber underneath. Am a little concerned re PQ compared to the new Toshibas.

Also its newer big brother looks fab
    http://www.pantheronline.co.uk/shop...L2HX&cat_id=TV4

4. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung did look fabulous! The picture quality of the one I saw was good and the viewing angles were massive when compared to a crt rptv. I was however concerned by the 'life' of the product. I think the new LCOS technology will be priced at a similar level to the Samsungs, in which case it will be worth hanging on. If the Philips sets live up to their advertising, they should blow all the other rptvs out of the water. Either way it's great to see slim body rptv sets arriving on the market!!:clap: