1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCDs with media receivers

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by matt.d., May 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. matt.d.

matt.d.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone. I'm juststarting out looking for a 32" screen and have read that some come with a seperate media receiver which makes it a lot better when wall mounting so that there arent tons of wires everywhere.

The only problem is that I cant seem to see many screens that come with this feature - the only mention I've found is a Loewe at £3500 which is rather a long way over my budget.

Can anyone recommend any other make/model which comes with the media centre (up to £2000ish)?

Or alternatively, how intrusive are the wires when you mount a screen on the wall? I've got the usual peripheral devices (DVD-R, Sky) to connect and as this is the first LCD I will be buying it seems like a hell of a lot of wires to be running up the wall!!

As you can probably tell, I'm new to this so be gentle with me!!

Cheers for any advice

Matt. :thumbsup:

2. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt

I've just wall mounted a Sharp Aquos LC45 and one of its selling points was the separate media box. 3m controller cable (3 cables bound as one) and a 3m power cable were supplied. Be warned 3 metres is not far when going though the wall around studs etc. A 10m cable is available though. A reasonable amount of connectivity is provied by the media box especially if you use SCART which I don't. I would have preferred the US version with 2 components and 2 DVIs/HDMI. Mounted on the wall it looks great.
    So, have a look at the Aquos range, which the Lowe is based upon I believe. The Sharp should be cheaper. I'm pretty sure they make a 32". If not, go for the 37", you won't regret it. My wife is surprised how used to the 45" we got in just a couple of days!

3. troubler

troubler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Sony KLV-L32MRX1 and SUMRL300 stand and am absolutely delighted with my purchase. The PQ via sky over RGB with just a crappy RGB cable is amazing, and the design is just beautifull, easily the most attractive LCD on the market. It comes with its own external tuner box with all connectecions bar HDMI/DVI. It takes HD signals via Component so you can still use it for HDTV via component out PC or DVD, but no HDMI/DVI does make things a little annoying. The way I look at it is HDCP will most probably be cracked within the first year of its true use ( when bluray/hdtvuk comes into place ) and therefore I see no problem with sticking to analogue for the time being.
    Im not too bothered being ready for HDCP when Sky HD starts broadcasting, because as pevioussly discussed the service will most likely be very expensive and the initial hardware will be extortanate. Plus, as far as I can tell, Sky still have not officially commented on its component support or lack of for HDTV.