1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD's under £2k

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nobbydog, Sep 12, 2003.

1. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been looking at <£2k lcd's lately. Anyone own one or more of the following that would be kind enough to give me your thoughts especially when it comes to watching sky:

Samsung LW29A13 or 32A23W
    LG MW 30LZ10
    SHARP LC30HV4E

I've seen some of these in high st shops but, as with plasmas, the differences in how shops connect up their gear does not really allow a decent comparison eg. identical screens can look completely different depending on where you see it.

Cheers:cool:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    I have the Samsung 22 ich equivalent (LW22A13) and can't recommend it highly enough. I most often drive mine with RGB from a Freeview box.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have a look at the Phillips 23" and 30". They are superb I reckon. I finally got to see the 23" in Comet in Plymouth today. It's closer to a CRT than any LCD I have seen.

I also saw a 32" Samsung LCD in Dixons which was impressive although I was not keen on the styling. Luckilly the staff had taken the trouble to dig out a special scart adaptor so that they could feed it with a composite signal...........

I have decided on the Phillips 23" which will do for general viewing and the screen will come down and cover it for movie or Xbox evenings with the PJ.

LCD is getting better and better.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sharp 30" is awsome esp if you take the speakers off. Where the hell have you seen it for less than £2K though!!!

5. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, you spotted the deliberate mistake. But seriously at just over 2k the 30HV4E is up at 2199 including 3 yr warranty & delivery at letsgodigital. Thinks I'll ge one today. I've used letsgodigital before for a digital Panasonic camcorder which, at the time, was also a stonking deal and it was delivered with no fuss at all.

Thanks all for comments.

:smashin:

6. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, did you say the speakers on the 30HV4E are detachable?

7. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    nobbydog, did you get the 30HV4E from letsgodigital, if so I think you got the one I was going to get. I phoned up last week and they had some in stock, but when I phoned up today to order it they didn't have any in :-(

If you did get it have you received it yet, and if so what's it like. As I said above I am on the verge of getting one and would like to hear your opinions of it.

8. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK here go's..... I ordered the Sharp on Saturday, got a confirmation email back on Monday saying it would be 10 to 14 days delivery. OK, I thought, I'll email and try and get it delivered quicker but got a reply stating that it would be more like a month!! Spoke to the guy at Letsgodigital who explained how only 50 would come into the country at a time and he already had back orders waiting, so I cancelled (he was, in fact, very helpful, just could'nt supply quick enough). If you can wait I'd go for the Sharp, great price. I could not wait so I've gone for the Philips 30" from 'anything-direct' at £2965, in stock, due for delivery later this week. (Its actually for my dad, I personally would have waited for the Sharp).
    I'll keep you posted later in the week.

9. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Thanks for that. I also got the 'only 50 come into the country at a time' from them as well. I can wait in the sense that I don't need it straight away, however I was trying to get one before the end of Sept to get Sharp's 3yr warranty offer. Not sure what to do now, wait until they have one in and not get the free warranty, or say get one from NexNix (who say their dealer has some in) but who will not drop their price below £2485.

10. Magictown

Magictown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a Manhatten 30" LCD TV at the weekend in Kingston (Bentalls Centre) it looked very nice, silver metal but was a tad expensive at around £2400. I've come across cheaper model browsing the net. Hifitv.co.uk has an unusuall looking 30" LCD TV at £1399 +VAT. I called them but they say they have not come into the country yet!!!

11. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have a 30" LG Flatron. From Crompton & Moore £2000 and it came with an LG DVD/video combo thrown in. (mind you I have never actually worked out how to attach this yet, been a bit short of time for playing with my toys and it is not my main TV). Just running it through an old Pace Ondigital box. Apart from the lack of auto widescreen switching I think it is wonderful.
    Also the first one they sent me had one dead pixel. They replaced it immediatelly, although I think I ended up paying for two lots of postage. Still would definetly recoment C & M for LCD screens. Very helpful people.
    Regards Richard

12. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I was researching <£2k lcd's (at the top of the page) the 30" LG was actually cheapest although I preferred the Sharp at the time. Letsgodigital are doing it at the moment for around £1750 inc vat, delivery and the LG DVD/video combi thrown in as well. Fantastic if price is the main issue for you.

By the way, great service from 'anything-direct' so far, delivery of the Philips 30" due today, less than 48hrs after ordering.

13. mid_gen

mid_gen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got a Sharp LC-30V4E, I'm very happy it. Sky is generally very good but there tends to be some banding in large, solid white areas, although I think that may be down to a dubious scart.

14. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp cannot be beaten at this size or larger regardless of price.

Cheers, Brock.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    50 in the country at once is rubbish more likely sharp will only supply them in limited quantities (often due to settlement issues!)

16. lfarrand

lfarrand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok here goes again, pressed the goddamned Back button accidentally and it erased everything that I wrote!

Anyway, we ordered the Samsung 32" LCD TV (LW32A23W) from BE-Direct two weeks ago on a Sunday and it was delivered on the Wednesday after. 3 days from ordering to delivery is excellent IMHO for a TV like this. The total price was £2169.99 inc. VAT and delivery.

BE-Direct were also very helpful and friendly when we we dealing with them. They even phoned Samsung to verify the colour of the TV for us.

First impressions were excellent. The TV itself is all silver; there are a few pictures dotted about that show this TV as being silver but with a black 'picture frame' around the screen itself. This picture is incorrect; I believe it is a picture of the older 29" or 40" Samsung LCD TV.

Picture quality is amazing on the right input. Component input from the XBox looks great; however the RGB Scart input leaves a lot to be desired since there is some background noise on the signal. Whether that is due to my Scart cables, the TV circuitry or the analogue nature of the RGB signal itself I'm not sure. I don't think it's due to my cabled since they are the heavy duty gold plated & oxygen free ones that I got from BeyondHIFI a while ago. I guess because the resolution of this TV is so high relative to regular CRT TV's, it's showing up the 'poor' quality of the RGB signal. I haven't tried the DVI input yet, but I'm building a HTPC today so I'll test it and post again with the results later on.

I haven't noticed any ghosting with this TV; the response time is listed as 16ms Tr+Tf. DVD's and TV programs both look fine, as do games on the XBox. As an aside, 720i mode on the XBox looks amazing when compared to RGB Scart, which it should do :)

Black levels are poorer than on the old CRT TV, but again this is to be expected. They aren't so much of a problem that they bother me or my partner, and they are a characteristic of all LCD displays on the market at the moment. Contrast on the other hand is excellent; and the DNIe mode sharpens the picture and enhances the contrast even further.

As for audio, I haven't tested the TV's inbuilt audio since we already have a seperate 5.1 system, but it comes with an integrated DD5.1/DTS/PLII decoder with speaker outputs on the back.

NOTE: The TV only ships with 2 stereo speakers; if you want full surround sound you will have to buy extra speakers and a subwoofer.

There are a plethora of inputs on this TV:

Video:

2x Component
    1x DVI-I (HDCP)
    1x RGB Scart
    1x Composite Scart
    1x S-Video
    1x Composite RCA/Phono
    1x RF Coaxial

Audio:

1x RCA/Phono
    1x Digital Optical
    1x Digital Coaxial
    1x 3.5" Mini-Jack

And some outputs too:

Audio:

1x 3.5" Headphone Mini-Jack

Centre Channel
    Front Right
    Front Left
    Rear Right
    Rear Left
    Subwoofer

All in all I can say that IMHO this is an excellent TV set and I would reccomend it over the Sony model. Style wise the Sony wins hands down, but the external tuner box and lack of DVI input put me off that particular set. I would also choose the Samsung over the Philips since I didn't like the idea of integrated speakers. At least on the Samsung you can detach them if you wanted to. As for the Sharp and LG models, I haven't had any experience with them although I believe that the older Sharp models had a lower resolution than the 1280x768 that the Samsung has; I'm not sure if their newer models have a hgiher res. but that was definitely a factor for me since I intend on playing PC games on there too.

Hope this is of use to someone,

Lee