1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCDs, refresh time and PCs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,662
    Folks,
    I use a 21" CRT monitor at 1600x1200 for work and games.
    The problem I have is that there is simply not enough space on my windows desktop to use all the applications I need concurrently. For example, when I'm processing hardware reviews for Home Cinema Choice Online, I have the PDF open on the right of the screen, the database entry form on the left top two thirds and the list of PDFs in explorer bottom left.
    There are simply not enough pixels for me to have the three windows open large enough.
    So I was looking at maybe getting two 1600x1200 monitors side by side, both plugged into my Radeon Sapphire X800. Or maybe one big, very high resolution display. Your recommendations would be appreciated. There is a limited budget for this in that I have to justify it to she who controls the purse strings.
    Also I have noticed on the LCD monitor which my girlfriend uses and on our laptop that when I scroll a window - windows explorer, for example - the delay which blurs the text makes it very unpleasant on the eye. Unacceptably so. Is this the case even with LCDs with very fast refresh times?
    TIA

2. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The cheaper option obviously would be to get a second display, should be quick and easy to setup.

If you're looking for a single large high res display then, you would need to be looking at the Apple LCD Screens, i think they could possibly have the highest res LCD monitors that're available to consumers at realisitc prices, but even then it's only the 30" that would give you comparable desktop space to 2 seperate monitors running at 1600x1200

Apple 23" Display -1920x1200

Apple 30" Display - 2560x1600

Although if you've got the money, i've spent many times drooling over the dual 30" LCD they have setup in the Apple Store in London. :D

As far as blurring the LCD screens are getting better with respect to this with faster response times now, blurring shouldn't be too much of an issue, but as always it's always best to try the screen out if possible beforehand