1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD's panels and reflections

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ianh64, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A number of people have asked about LCD's and reflections. My comment has alwas been that my display copes very well when dappled shade caused by the morning direct sunlight shining through leaves and a perforated blind across the window shines directly onto the screen.

Since pictures of peoples displays seem to be all the rage at the moment and this morning was a particularly bright one, the perfect photo opportunity for me to get in on the act arose.

The display is a Loewe Xelos SL 32" - the physical display panel is a Sharp ASV-Black.

The first image is with the TV turned off. You can see light reflecting off the wall, display case and bevel. Whilst light is visible on the panel itself, it is much reduced due to the polarising filters used on LCD panel technology. This image caused the camera flash to fire, you can see the glare in the upper half of the screen.

The second image was without flash. It shows City Airport. The part where the sunlight would be shining on the screen is quite contrasty but there is little or no evidence of the picture being affected by the sun.

The final image was shot with flash and can be seen to the right of the presenters face. The area where the sunlight falls is of low contrast. Again, little or no evidence of the picture being affected by the sun.

Under similar circumstances, before moving to LCD, these areas of the picture would have been all but obscured on my CRT.

-Ian

Attached Files: