LCD's on the Wall

Deano70

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Some advice please when i pull my finger out and get my LCD TV I want to wall mount it, the question I ask is how do people mount theirs?, and how are the cables hidden?, is it cut a tram line into the wall lay the cables and replaster over or is it another method, false wall etc. Any pics would be nice too :rotfl:

Also is there a standard height to put these at Im thinking of a 32"LCD?

I'm sure there will be some response on this - but it terms of standard height - a lot of people make it fit the surroundings which isn't necessarily ideal for viewing conditions. The "ideal" height often quoted is 90cm from the centre of the screen to the floor.
This assumes you are watching from an average sofa or armchair - but anything from 70cm-120cm is a usable range.

Hi All,

This is how I wall mounted my 9986.The cables are totally hidden as follows:

I worked out where to cut a slot that would be hidden behind the screen once hung in position. I then cut the plasterboard out of the lower half of the wall using a jigsaw. I was then able to clear the channel by shoving my hand up inside the wall (the stud wall is condtructed with a carboard mesh). I then screwed back in the piece of plasterboard I cut out from the lower half of the wall and applied filler which was subsequently sanded to get a good finish.

To repair the wall where the 4" x "2 bracing was inserted I first filled the area with bonding (known to stick like the proverbial doodah to a blanket) and then used filler which was then sanded to finish.

I then applied three liberal coats of paint to finish.

Sorry about the quality of the photos - I'm in a bit of a hurry as I'm supposed to be working!!!

Incidentally, my 37" screen is mounted @ 150cm to the middle of the screen - a little high some might say but it was mounted at that height to avoid 'little fingers'. It is interesting to note that a visitor recently remarked that the screen was at the perfect height for watching at the 14 ft distance we sit.

Any questions - please ask,

P.S. Couldn't resist a shot of the absolutely awesome Ambilight!!!!!

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• TV1.jpg
    TV1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,135
  • TV2.jpg
    TV2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,061
  • TV3.jpg
    TV3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,062
Alan D said:
The "ideal" height often quoted is 90cm from the centre of the screen to the floor. This assumes you are watching from an average sofa or armchair - but anything from 70cm-120cm is a usable range.
From the ergonomy point of view - the upper edge of a picture you're looking at shouldn't be over the line of your sight (to avoid raising the eye-balls, because it is tiring and can harm your eyes ;). This is general rule when you arrange your workplace with an PC screen.
So it should depend on your height and the height of your sofa/armchair

Yarp_Z said:
From the ergonomy point of view - the upper edge of a picture you're looking at shouldn't be over the line of your sight (to avoid raising the eye-balls, because it is tiring and can harm your eyes ;). This is general rule when you arrange your workplace with an PC screen.
So it should depend on your height and the height of your sofa/armchair

Hi Yarp_Z,

It is worth bearing in mind that when you sit at a computer workstation you are usually siting in an upright postion in order to type at a keyboard. This means that your line of sight is roughly parallel to the floor. However, when you sit on a sofa you usually have a more relaxed posture as the backrest of a sofa allows you to sit in a more reclined position. Therefore your line of sight will rise above the parallel in proportion to the angle of the backrest of the sofa. This, combined with the viewing distance is why there is no 'ideal height' or formula for the 'ideal height' of a screen.

Regards,

Love the pictures I can't wait to get my LCD , thanks for the info keep it coming :eek: :thumbsup:

PACMAN>

did u buy the Bike ;)

Nice picture though, is it only the Phillips that come with the back light?

I would also have to mount it a little higher than recommended as the main reason for wall mounting it is also to get it away from little but firm bashing hands as both are my kids are little :devil:

swilt1 said:
PACMAN>

did u buy the Bike ;)

Nice picture though, is it only the Phillips that come with the back light?

I would also have to mount it a little higher than recommended as the main reason for wall mounting it is also to get it away from little but firm bashing hands as both are my kids are little :devil:

Hi swilt1,

I seriously considered buying that bike but though it might not stand the 40 odd mile journey to work!!!

Yes only the Phillips has Ambilight - for the photo the Ambilight was set at 75% brightness (which is where we normally leave it).

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom