1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCDs -looking good!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by STOWITBELOW, Jun 27, 2005.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sort of a question, sort of observation really. I was in John Lewises in the Trafford center Sunday - where they have an impressive display of latest model flat screens side by side. Last time I saw several plasmas / LCDs together was over 18 months ago. Then the LCDs were mainly small (under 30") & weren't next to the plasmas and they had what I can only describe as a very 'LCD picture.' - I've had a TFT monitor for several years & it was excellent for my pc, just not so good for DVDs, the image some how not vivid & a little 'syrupy': unlike a CRT. I didn't feel the Plasmas were that fantastic either, brighter, but not as sharp as my RPTV.
    To the point, all the screens (all 32" at least) looked good. All bright & vivid, at first glance it wasn't luculent where the LCDs stopped & the Plasmas began. My dad has an 12 month old LCD TV & it is not in the same league. Again, all the screens (Terrestrial pictures displayed) seemed comparable to CRT (to be fair though, there wasn't any on display to compare).
    So my question, was I overwrought with flatscreens, or have they (plasma & LCD) taken a leap in performance over the last year? (Particularly the LCD) I've resisted for so long, the cost/performance balance not right for me. Now they've come down & looked so good, I'm in a quandry again. :(

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've never seen an LCD that does anything good with terrestrial or SKY broadcasts, unless you sit about 20' away. There's an artificiality to the picture that just kills it for me. I've been to a couple of posh hotels lately where they thought it looked cool to have big LCDs in the bedrooms, but even the Sharp 45" (which costs a bomb) looked embarrassingly crap with what was presumably a split feed. So much so that my wife said "Oh, we're not getting one of those, are we?'.

LCDs are getting better all the time, and can look great with HD and DVD, but for watching telly? Forget it.