Lcds - bad quality control or bad technology

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by meath man, May 5, 2007.

Tags:
?
  1. The Lcd technology is at fault

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. The manafacturers are at fault through poor quality control etc

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. The internal processing in Lcds is the biggest problem

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After looking around for a decent lcd for about 2 years. I still have not come close to finding one that comes close to matching my crt . Its unbelievable that despite the fact the technology has been around for a number of years, manafacturers have still not come close to delivering a top quality tv with all sources regardless of the price. Everytime i come close to buying a tv, i hear it has numerous problems like:

backlight bleed
    buzzing
    motion smearing
    banding
    stuck/dead pixels
    washed out/unnatural picture quality
    terrible scaling artefacts
    etc etc etc

Now i for one did not expect miracles from lcd technology - frankly if i could find a lcd that matched the picture quality from my crt in a slightly bigger screen size then i would be delighted. I spend yesterday walking around about 10 av stores in Dublin. I can honestly say that i did not see one lcd that had acceptable picture quality. YES on still or slow moving high definition sources they can be impressive - but what good is that to anyone.....?

My conclusion is that, people have been drawn in by this new technology and its stylish form factor. - manafacturers have given us no option but to opt for this technology by ceasing crt production. In my opinion lcd is a massive step BACK from crt and i will not go near it unless im forced to in a few years time when i believe it will be the only tv technology available....

Before anybody tries to defend their lcds, think about this first - if lcds did not come in a stylish and thin form factor - would you even consider buying it on its picture quality alone.....?

2. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well, I walked around dublin today and I saw Samsung M86 in dixons and Currys. And Saw a Sony W2000 in the sony center. They looked fairly damn good for sets that probably aren't calibrated in any way at all.

I had a 32 inch sony Trinitron. Top of the range Sony, really good picture. And a Dell 2407WFP monitor. I sold both of them and bought a Samsung F71, a 40 inch model. I never saw this set in acton before, but after reading reviews here on AV forums I purchased it and I am telling you this, I would never go back to CRT again. No matter who has come to look at the my Samsung, they have all been very, very impressed with the PQ. friends who own rear projection TV's, CRT's or Plasma have all viewed my Samsung and have given it the thumbs up.

So I don't know where you were looking in dublin, I was in the Blancherdstown Center, but I can tell you this, My F71 doesn't suffer from any of the following

backlight bleed
    buzzing
    motion smearing
    banding
    stuck/dead pixels
    washed out/unnatural picture quality
    terrible scaling artefacts

I have it connected by HDMI to a PS3, by component to an xbox360, by VGA to a PC and to a TV aerial as well. I play FPS shooters the most, and motion blurring, ghosting or any input lag would annoy me so much, but I don't get any of these things happens.

And in buying my TV, the form factor never came into it. I was considering rear projection TV's, Plasma and overhead projectors, even was looking to see If I could get a larger CRT. The F71 was the best option for me, It did all I wanted to do and got great reviews here. The Sony X and W series were a close second.

You are right I would not have bought it on PQ alone, because I never saw it, I based it on reviews from here and elsewhere. And like I said before, now that I have seen it and configured it, I would never return to CRT.

3. Paul68

Paul68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had a Tosh 33db crt before my 42wlt66 & scoured the internet on reviews of all makes & models.
    I considered plasma but was told by numerous sales people lcd was the way to go.
    I bought the wlt66 lcd in July last year & was very pleased with the pq although when close up watching fast moving pictures like football you get issues with slight blurring, this i never got with my crt. When my xbox 360 is on the picture is crystal clear, no blurring etc, just like being there but im not spending £300 on a hd box as i dont think its worth it.

Im beginning to agree with what you say about lcd. I dont think theyve got it right yet. My tosh has just had a grey line appear down the centre & looking at some posts on here, the panels knackered. For a set that cost me in excess of £1600 in July this is not acceptable & i agree with you. I dont think the technology is there yet.
    My mate had a 37wlt66 & the back light packed in after 3 months. Because they are moving that quickly forward he was told they only keep spares for a few months, hes now got a replacement 37wlt68 thats a much better picture than his wlt66 so i think they are getting there with pq, but theyre not there yet

4. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Meath Man, I think you need to get realistic.

a) Despite LCD TVs having been out for "years", it's still only a few years. CRTs have had R & D poured into them for decades.

b) Panels of all types are now designed for HD material, not SD material. CRTs are designed for SD material (apart from the odd exception). HD material looks fantastic on LCD and plasma.

The technology will get there, eventually, in fact it's pretty close now, with new technologies like 100Hz arriving that eliminate long-standing problems with LCD. Yes CRT is still better than LCD for SD material at this time, nobody is arguing with that. But when the LCD TV industry is 20 years old (if it's still going) then the LCDs will be as good as CRTs for SD.

Once OLED or SED arrives then the problems displaying SD stuff on panels should disappear overnight, along with LCD and plasma technology (at least as soon as the price differential is sensible).

5. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    loobster i am realistic. I take your point that lcd has not been around that long. But i disagree with the other points you make.

1. You say 100htz on lcds will solve a lot of the problems associated with lcd - i couldnt disagree more after seing the toshiba wlt68 and panasonic lxd70 in action- they still suffer from motion blurring etc.....

2. You say hd looks fantastic on lcd - i partly agree with you. However even with a hd source, lcds still suffer from lot of problems like motion blurring, mpeg compression etc

You only have to look at the majority of posts on this forum to see that there is something inherintly wrong with lcd technology....

6. Paul68

Paul68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As i said meath man, i do tend to agree with you that i am dissapointed with my 42wlt66 but only on two points.

1: The pq when watching football is a little blurry, but only when close up to the set. You dont notice when sat watching, say 6' away

2: To have spent that amount on a set for it to go wrong after 10 months & also my mates set went wrong after only three months. So i do agree with you that i think the technologhy isnt there as yet. Especially after i had my tosh crt 33" for 11yrs without a problem.

I never suffer with motion blurring through my xbox 360, the pq is amazing

7. Mr-Bananas

Mr-Bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Its all about mass production these days.

Its great that we can all buy big LCD's and Plamsa for a reasonable price now, but you usually have to go through 3 or 4 to get a good one.

8. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No.

I have the WLT68 and I bought it precisely because there was ZERO motion blur on ANYTHING, including premiership football.

I don't know what set you viewed, but M100 probably wasn't turned on.

9. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I do not agree that you said as though this is manufacturers to blame.
    In any macro and micro economics model, the driving force is always people demand. Manufacturers cease CRT production is simply because nobody buying it.

And it is not stylish, but yes it is the form factor and also weight factor.
    It is definitely "space and portability" demand.
    I remember a computer with 20GB storage 1GHz speed would occupy an air-conditioned room the size of my double garage in 1979, but now as small as my note book and yet larger capacity and faster processor.

Trying to stop LCD (or Plasma) is the same as holding your breath, either you will cough and breath quickly to catch up the lack of oxygen or you'll die.

So,
    join the flock :D

_

10. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    I'm an LCD vergin and have gone from a Sony 28" Vega Trinitron widescreen CRT to a Panasonic TX-32LXD70. And I have to say that it was MUCH MORE then worth it. The space I'm saving, the increased screen size and the HD picture with my 360 is asstounding. Their is a slight buzzing that is VERY hard to hear, maybe it's worse on some panels but to be honest it's something I would never be maoning about as it is hard to hear the noise and the built in speakers are also very good and loud.
    So to sum I don't agree with anything in the first post on this thread apply's to my panel. And if you run a decent HD source then they IMO can leave CRT screens for dust in picture quality.