1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCDs and Windows (Refresh rate question)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BenPremium, Sep 21, 2005.

1. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm outputting VGA to my Samsung LE32R41BD but windows has chosen 60hz as the refresh rate.

Should I be setting custom timings to 50hz (I'm using an Nvidia 6600gt) as PAL DVDs are at this refresh rate?

Thanks

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    For starters ensure TV supports 50Hz over VGA, otherwise you may get a blank screen. Make sure you have a CRT monitor nearby before playing with resolutions. Double check the 50Hz when you make the change, when I first tried on my computer, it set 1280x720 ok, but @75hz, before I noticed, I had a blank screen.

I suspect 1280x720 @50Hz may work, as this is 720p50, I do not know though as I do not have the Sammy. Whereas 1368 (or 1360) x768 @50Hz will probably not work.

How your DVD application will respond to the refresh rate change is another question, to which I do not know the answer.

It would make sense that the player would be "aware" of the desktop resolution. Whilst placing VLC & PowerDVD in full screen mode, I have not seen my TV recognise a resolution change, so I guess (unlike most PC games), the DVD apps run at the current desktop resolution. You may be able to test once you have it running at 50Hz, by watching a R1 disc and looking for frame jumps / pauses.

3. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for the help.

I think I'll probably just leave it then as I'm not really noticing any problems with DVDs, they play smooth enough. No point fiddling with things that I'll probably end up breaking!

4. rik1471

rik1471
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good point. If it ain't broke...