1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD's and Ghosting; myth of fact?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by piratetigger, Aug 30, 2005.

1. piratetigger

piratetigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer. I am looking into buying an lcd tv, looking at a 37” set. I want to hook my media centre pc through it and also an Xbox 360. I have been doing a little research on the subject, and a few things have me wondering.

Firstly there is the question of “ghosting”. Every Plasma vs. LCD article say LCD’s suffer from it, but with the market moving so fast, I wonder if the problem has been solved? I am a bit of a sports fan, watching a blurred football doesn’t appeal.

But then why is Philips talking up ClearLCD if this is the case?

So I would just really like LCD owner’s comments on this, have the latest crop of LCD’s overcome this problem, or am I better to wait the next batch of LCD’s?

Also does anybody know if any of the other big LCD makers have an equivalent to “ClearLCD” coming out soon? Cant imagine Sony and Sharp are standing still.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Every manufacturer has marketing names they throw around to try and get some attention. The fact is that most LCD panels really won't have any distracting ghosting/blurring problems (this is coming from me, something of a video perfectionist).

Edit: that sounds a bit arrogant. I should say, I've never noticed any REALLY distracting blurring and it doesn't seem to be a regular complaint here :)

3. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I went into John Lewis today. I was looking at the various 32" LCD panels, and the rep said 'you should see this one [KDLS32A12], it's new and has an excellent picture'. He switched it on, and I winced as it switched onto the news and they had a fast pan across a football game. The ghosting was horrendous.

Anyway, it was interesting to see the contrast between the panels here, all running analogue terrestrial signals, and the ones playing DVDs, all of which without exception looked excellent. The TVs showed up the crappiness of the poor signal, and it was hard to judge which was best.

4. Spokkx

Spokkx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what I am most interested in is how the new LCD:s (sony klv-s32a10 for example) handle 720p signals

is the blur still obvious in games at 720p? (want to play x360)

5. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that Philips is selling it's “ClearLCD” to other manufactures as it is expected to be used on all top end set's in the future. It has been discussed in other threads, but appears to be some sort of strobe effect from the back light, (like a movie projected image)

6. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The blur is virtually gone with progressive sources on most 12ms or faster LCDs. It's only interlaced sources that cause an issue.

You mean like a CRT. ;) It basically removes one of the big advantages of LCD; a non-flickering picture.

7. piratetigger

piratetigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the comments,

Was hoping that would be the case, I think it’s as much a stereotype that Plasma lovers like to band around as much as anything.

Lyris: I know what you mean about marketing terms, there is always a reason to put of buying new telly’s/DVD recorders/Pc’s because "the new, must have technology" is always around the corner, by the time it arrives there will be another one on its way.

And I agree about John Lewis, I always think the pictures look crap in there, fine for people from here who know the reasons for it, but is Joe Blogs off the street going to buy a telly when the picture looks crap. Sony centres have the right idea, play an animated DVD. Sorry gone off on one.

8. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What can I say! Check out this link

http://www.velocityassociates.net/pages/SIDreport.php