1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by simon123, May 16, 2003.

1. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi can anyone give me advice on which LCD is should go for. I am looking at a 15 to 17 inch for my conservatory and i have no limit to my budget.thanks

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi simon,

Check out the Grundig 17" widescreen set which is only available from Currys and Dixons at £700. It's got a good range of inputs including component and VGA. Do a search on this set for comments from Stoomonster and The Beekeeper. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My missus bought an LG RZ17LZ10 17" Widescreen LCD TV from Crampton and Moore the other week. It cost £565 and despite not being part of the decision process I'm really impressed with it and a good price too.

4. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the pansasonic if money no object. I've got the wega Sony 15" LCD for the kitchen and very happy with it. It oozes style, Just wish I had the £8000 for the new "floating" sony plasma and the £3000 for the glass stand, great piece piece of kit.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I wouldn't. It has low resolution and a poor vertical viewing angle. The Grundig shows much more detail.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I found the Grundig to be superior in many areas

7. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the Sharp Aquos´were the best LCD´s out there, folowed closely by Samsung and LGPhilips.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I tweaked the LG, Sharp and big Panny in one shop, and then did Grundig, Sharp, little Panny in another. I thought I would have the Panny or Sharp before hand, in the end the Grundig was the winner for me plus the killer component / HD15 which sold it for me. I was suprized quite how much they differed.

9. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon
    If you get the latest What Home Cinema mag they review and bench test about 8 different brands. They ended up rating the panasonic as the best of the breed.
    Unfortunatley the Grundig is not reviewed in it so you'll have to get to Dixons to check for yourself. The picture is excellent on the Grundig but put it next to the Panaonic, Sony or Lowe it lacks the class. I think it looks a bit too cheap 'plasticky' and could just as well have an Amstrad badge on it. At the end of the day these 15" LCD screens are basically a kitchen/bathroom/bedroom set, so looks and style are just as important as the picture. Your not going to be sitting down with a crowd to watch block buster films on it.

Cheers
    :smoke:
    :p

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I would not contest that the Panachronic is a 'pretty' set externally. And, their technique for varying the intensity of the backlight to improve perceived contrast is clever. However, on both the 15 and 22 inch models, they have used a very low resolution LCD array. When comparing, side by side, the 15 inch Panny and the 17 inch Grundig (which has a much hihger resolution panel) the amount of detail resolved is way, way ahead on the Grundig.

As far as 22 inch sets goes, I have made the same comparison between the Panny and the Samsung (which also has a high res panel) and come to the same conclusion.

Added to this, I say again, the Pannys both have an extremely limited viewing angle, particularly below the horizontal, which makes then entirely unsuitable for any type of raised installation - a bedroom for example.

Most of the Sharps have no such problem, but the 22 incher, at least, has the same low resolution of the Panny.

In fact, a panel with 480 pixels vertically, although an exact match for NTSC, will actually degrade the standard definition of a PAL TV signal.

As for reviews - you have to take them all with a pinch of salt; reviewers are all too often ill-informed and draw false conclusions. And they only get to review stuff that manufacturers send them. Use reviews only to help you create a shortlist. Never use them to make your choice.

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I looked at all the LCDs before seeing the 17" widescreen Grundig and instantly saying "nope, that's the best picture".

Who cares if design is not to your liking? I've seen much worse, it's the picture that counts. If you want something that looks nice, buy a vase and some flowers.

17" Grundig looks fine in my bedroom, although could be bigger (I was banned from buying a second plasma ;)) and picture is not just good, but excellent via component.

StooMonster

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and stunning by RGBHV HD 15 which allows a good upgrade path :)

13. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for all your posts,i will scratch my head for a little longer

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Beekeeper, is that PC or scaler to HD15? I went JS-Tech RGB2YUV for my (second) Sky digitbox to LCD, as I wasn't sure if this LCD accepted 15kHz horizontal line frequency; if it did I would've gone JS-Tech RGB2VGA. Do you know?

StooMonster

15. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LCD? In a conservatory? Surely not?

Don't forget with lower brightness levels of LCD, unless the conservatory is North-facing, you may need to restrict your feasable viewing times to cloudy days or after dark. Even with the brightness turned right up on my laptop, with a high contrast colour scheme, I can't make out the screen on sunny days at all.

Just thought I'd mention it, sorry!

Andrew_B

16. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks andrew yeh we are north facing and never get sun in the garden
    cheers anyway

17. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, my missus insisted on a conservatory, even though we are South-facing. Mind you, with all the windows shut it saves putting the oven on to bake bread in the Summer!

Andrew_B