1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD (Z2) projector in 'normal' front room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Demon, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi, bit of a dilema, my 'lucky' Brother has just got his Z2, and I am very impressed on the whole.. amazing detail etc, but so far he has intalled it in his front room, with a Draper Luma 106" screen (White), and since his walls are light coloured, there is obviously far too much reflected light getting onto the screen, ruining the black level.. which for me ruins the whole thing.

He is lucky in that he is converting his integral garage to a cinema room, and can do the black wall/ceiling thing, which should dramatically improve things..

But if I ever wanted to get a projector, I am stuck really with not having anywhere dedicated enough I could paint the walls/ceiling dark colours..

So... is it possible to get reasonable blacks in a normal room with a white ceiling/light walls???
    I know you can get high contrast grey screens, do these help, or are they just a drop in the ocean???

I could maybe justify the price of a PJ, but not the £20K for an extension to house it???

Any ideas?? or am I flogging a dead horse?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Define "reasonable" :D

You're never going to get "inky" black blacks with ANY current LCD, irrespective of environment but IMO, a decent LCD with matte white screen with good light control (blackout) can provide very "reasonable" results in the average front room.

Certainly does in my case ;)

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I find it very reasonable indeed.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You'll need a high brightness projector to use a grey screen .. I had one with my AE300 and it was not a success at all, lifeless colours and generally a poor combination, and I could get complete blackout though the ceiling was white and the walls green 'hint' off-white so that wasn't good.

I haven't tried the Z2 on the grey screen but since it's the same light output of the Panny on paper then I don't see it being too much better ... not sure what projectors would work well with such a screen.

5. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I know this is my first PJ so Im probably not the best judge but IMO you would have to be 1 seriously fussy [removed - Kramer] to find any fault with the Z2,I am amazed by the picture and my black levels are marvelous:confused:

[No need for that language - Kramer]

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'd be me then :D

7. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I was merely referring to Alan from the popular comedy The New Statesman,and yes,I suppose that is you:rolleyes:

8. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can you define what good light control (blackout) would be then?? are you just referring to being able to prevent any exterior light from entering the room??

Is the Draper Luma (matte white, I believe?) a bad screen for this sort of installation?? (I know its cheap, so I would expect it to not be of particularly good quality anyway)

I would be happy in getting the sort of black level you would expect from a low contrast plasma..

Looking at my brothers setup, he has 100% blackout, as without the projector on, you cannot see your hand in front of your face, but with the projector on, the room light level is more then adequate to read comfortably in.. and this ruins the black level. If the projector is displaying a mainly black scene, i.e. credits, the blacks are 'reasonable', but on any scene that has a mixture of light/dark areas, the black level is very poor..

I would like to consider a projector as the next upgrade, and its nice to see that people are achieving 'good' results in their front rooms, so what screens/ special light control have you done to achieve this?????

9. iforgot

iforgot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im using a sanyo z2 (right now) in a cream room with a cream walls and carpet.

Ive simply got some nice thick curtains which do a ok-ish job during the day. The system is very usable is this condition but nowhere what it can be.

The level of light in here now is more than enough for me to work in, and as a result the darkness levels have droped. Using the pc is like having a moniter with contrast and brightness up at almost full.

At night the situation changes. with the pj off its dark very dark, the blacks look 10000x better, but i do still have a lot of light bounce.

The wife says no way to painting a diffrent colour (house is only 2 months old) so im kinda stuck with it. To be honest its still a great image compared to the old tv even during the day.

99% of my pj usage is at night, so its not too bad. But the next move is to darken the projected onto wall.

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I have cream ceilings and light green walls and without the pj on at night the room is totally black. When i put the pj on the room is very light and the blacks looked washed out, some of this could be down to me being used to a dark picture on a crt, but i am pretty sure that some of this was down to the light reflecting from the ceilings and walls. I have since painted my screen, which is blackout material over a frame, icestrom 5/6 mixed and the blacks are certainly better without sacrificing too much brightness. There is also less reflection around the room, i am going to get a 'proper' screen but now am confused as to what gain i require due to the colour of my room which i do not want to change.

11. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    What about painting just the wall with the projector screen a darker colour. Would that help?

12. iforgot

iforgot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im hoping so ...also a fld filter should help quite a lot,.