1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD XGA or WXGA?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tonybirt, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tonybirt

tonybirt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Toshiba 26WL46A. In the manual under connecting a PC it says is supports VGA, SVGA and XGA (1024 X 768) at 60hz.

Yet the screen has a top resolution of 1366 X 768. I have seen other screens advertised as WXGA with resolutions of 1280 X 720 & 1366 X 768.

What is the actual difference between 2 screens with the same resolution, one stating XGA and the other WXGA.

And secondly is the toshiba capable of displaying 1360 X 768 at 60hz correctly, it just seems like a strange thing to leave out of the screens specs.

I hope this is not too much of a newb question as I am new to LCD's and HD and don't fully understand the technology.

2. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen has a 1366x768 physical resolution, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can feed it a 1360x768 PC signal and get it to display correctly. With a computer monitor that type of thing always works, but this is a TV, and the electronics driving the panel may not be designed to display just any resolution you feed it.
    That's the rough idea. But, you can try to make your pc graphics card to feed the screen a 1360x768 signal and it'll probably work anyway, even if it's not explicitly mentioned in the manual. No guarantee though. Make sure you force it to be @60Hz. You may need to use a program called powerstrip if your graphics card is not a recent one.

3. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    often in these cases the vga resolution is limited but using dvi allows use of full resolution