1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD with the lights out

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by treefrog, Feb 12, 2005.

1. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

I've had a Sony KLV23M1 for a few days now and initially I must say I was not too impressed however it is growing on me. Since its in the bedroom and connected via coax to the Sky box downstairs the signal is not the best and taking this into concideration the picture is surprisingly stable and although skin tones suffer the most, landscapes can look stunning. Unfotunately there is a flaw in the screen and it will need to be returned and now I have the dillema of whether to get a replacement or refund. My main niggle is when the lights are off. Blacks are nowehere near black. This is especially noticeable with widescreen media where the lines at top and bottom show up in the dark. With the room lights on this is fine as in contrast with the rest of the room they look darker, but then who sleeps with the lights on. I realise that this is a feature inherent in LCD TV's but wondered if anybody had come accross one that reproduced black anywhere near a CRT TV does. If not I will hapilly replace it for another of the same model as in other areas it suits me down to the ground.
    It doesn't humm (unless you put your ear to the chasis).
    The remote control and menu is so well thought out (like all Sony's)
    It doesn't try to be too clever by overprocessing the picture (like Philips)
    It doesn't try to fill the screen with the picture (like Philips)

Thanks

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It is exactly this situaltion that the Philips Ambilight was designed. It is based upon the fact that lighting the area behind the display or surrounding the screen will activate the eye's light adaptation mechanism and reduce the visibility of the black-level luminance. You can do it yourself, but you must make sure that none of the light falls on the screen itself and you use the lowest lighting level needed. The walls should be a neutral white or gray so as not to upset the overall color balance. The light should also have the same color temperature as the white point of the display. This is normally about 8000-10000K pre calibration. If the screen is correctly calibrated, it should be 6500K. The ambilight system obviously does this dynamically based upon picture content.

Of course, leaving a small light on will also have a similar effect.

-Ian

3. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Ian
    I'd heard of Ambilight but didn't realise that it worked like that. I guess that proves that there is no way of creating a blacker black within the screen itself.
    I found last night that turning the power saver on helps a lot.
    I'm still in two minds however as to whether I will get another. I don't know whether I will ever get used to the problem with peoples faces and what happens to them when they move.
    DVD images are amazing but Sky suffers. I guess this is the fault of the poor signal.
    I'm tempted to go down a size to the 17" in the hope that it won't be so noticeable.

Thanks again for the info.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Of course adjusting the brightness and/or backlight settings may assist too. They are normally too bright for factory adjusted LCD's.

-Ian

5. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi
    I'd played around with the settings extensively. Turning the backlight to minimum helped. So did turning the balance up. This caused brighter whites to make the blacks appear darker. I had thought that the power saver turned the backlight to minimum however it goes beyond the minimum setting and is a definate improvement.

6. lz1cam

lz1cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I experience the same issue. My trusty CRT was showing the black real black.
    My new LCD LG 30LZ13 is no near around when watched in the evenings, even with all the lights on. The bright scenes are uncompareably nice, but the black is more greay.
    Seems to me the menu should have provide the backlight brightness control, as none of the other settings can darken the two horizontal stripes when on wide screen mode.
    As the set provides PC to TV communication I'm currently looking for service commands info to darken the backlight, if possible. I sanybody able to help, please?
    However I can say there's no problem at all with the faces and colors and shades changes, I have seen on all the other Sony, Panasonis, Toshiba for sale here - something awfully annoying, and to me unacceptable for the price.
    Good luck!

7. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Izicam

I'm afraid I haven't found a solution and after reading Ian's response have concluded that there isn't one, since Philips have taken such drastic measures in order to make the problem more bearable. I did find that turning on power saving helped but at a price (bit dull). Unlike you however I do not find it so much a problem with the lights on so I'm not sure whether your TV is more affected by the problem. Other than that there is nothing that I haven't already said, i.e. balance up, brightness down, backlight down.

Hope this helps

8. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Izicam, if you read Ian's reply he mentions in the ambilight scenario not to let the light fall onto the screen. I guess this also applies to room lighting and therefore if you have spotlights for instance, direct them away from the screen.

9. lz1cam

lz1cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello treefrog,
    It is not such a hard problem but as I'm not used to it, it is a matter of getting used to the situation. I've already sent query to LG service site so they may respond to me.
    What seems strange to me is: I have got a LCD PC monitor from LG (L1730B) too and changing settings affects directly the backlight and the black level appearance. However The TV from LG is not the same case. So I'm still looking for clue.
    Bye