LCD With No Component Input - Help!!

supra21

Novice Member
i have a philips hd ready lcd, which has s-video, composite, rgb(scart) and dvi-i inputs. sadly my lcd has no component input.

The xploder hdtv player for ps2 is comming out soon and i wanted to use it on my lcd. It upscales the ps2 video to 480p/720p/1080i; it comes with component video wires to connect to tv.

I wanna know is there any way of connecting the hdtv player to my lcd with some sort of adaptor. I have seen an adaptor that connects into the dvi port that has component video input, but i dont know if it will work or if it does will it support progressive scan/upscaling of graphics.

Nielo TM

Novice Member
No offence but why are you guys keep buying that all-in-one Philips?

Anyway, download the attachment. It will help you.

supra21

Novice Member
thanks for that, just to make sure the audio will work by pluggin them into the L and R audio ports?

*reason i bought philips, it was cheap; and has very good pic quality*

also just looking at my dvi cable, i noticed that it does not have all the pins; is this normal?:

gaz2785

From the above attachment it looks like this TV accepts a component signal via the VGA socket. My Toshiba 32WL56 is equally as annoying (component input is via a shared VGA socket).

I actually bought a PS2 component lead and adapted it (cut the plugs off the end and wired a VGA plug on the end), however the configuration in the attachment looks just as good.

supra21

Novice Member
thats good, also the triple phono coupler dont look like it takes component, the colours are red white and yellow, isnt that composite with l - r auido?:

Nielo TM

Novice Member
supra21 said:
thanks for that, just to make sure the audio will work by pluggin them into the L and R audio ports?

*reason i bought philips, it was cheap; and has very good pic quality*

also just looking at my dvi cable, i noticed that it does not have all the pins; is this normal?:

Yes it is. Does your TV has a 3.5mm jack in (the one looks like headphone port) next to DVI for audio?

Nielo TM

Novice Member
supra21 said:
thats good, also the triple phono coupler dont look like it takes component, the colours are red white and yellow, isnt that composite with l - r auido?:
I know, but it’s very hard to find a coupler like that for component. The one on Maplin will do the job.

Simply connect red to red, green to white and blue to yellow.

Nielo TM

Novice Member
gaz2785 said:
From the above attachment it looks like this TV accepts a component signal via the VGA socket. My Toshiba 32WL56 is equally as annoying (component input is via a shared VGA socket).

I actually bought a PS2 component lead and adapted it (cut the plugs off the end and wired a VGA plug on the end), however the configuration in the attachment looks just as good.
The new Sharp has it as well, :(

supra21

Novice Member
Yes it is. Does your TV has a 3.5mm jack in (the one looks like headphone port) next to DVI for audio?
yes it does, isnt that the optical audio port? if it is i need to buy an optical audio wire to connect my ps2 to the lcd right?

supra21

Novice Member
looking on amazon, i can get a ps2 component av cable, rca to 3.5mm and a tripple phono coupler for £10.36!!;
whereas the maplin coupler and rca is £12!! its much cheaper on amazon. However there is no pic of the phono coupler. So what i am asking is will any tripple phono coupler work with this connection method?

supra21

Novice Member
just got the component wire and tripple phono, it all works; tested tekken 5 and burnout in progressive scan and all looks good. However there is some noise on the ps2 bios and with some games when loading them up the screen goes all fuzzy, all the menus in some games as well. To fix this i have to pull out and put the green wire and put it back in then the screen is fine, but its kinda annoying; an idea why its happening?