1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD widescreen around £800 budget.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by davidcotton, Dec 31, 2004.

1. davidcotton

Aug 5, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

Well I've spent some of the week off work (yay :clap: ) taking a look around at lcd tvs in all the usual places. Today I took a trip to my "local" richers to finally get a look at the 22" Sharp. Now to say I was slightly "underwhelmed" would be an understatement.

However whilst I was there they also had set up next to the sharp a 22" Hitatchi ws LCD and a 23" ws Phillips lcd, and I have to say (somewhat surprisingly, I thought the sharp was going to be great) that both the Hitatchi and the Phillips beat the Sharp hands down. Mind you it didn't help that Richers had it set up so TEN TV's were being fed from ONE dvd player!

Question is has anyone on here had any experiences with either the hitatchi or the phillips set? Don't know whether its down to something that I like to call "brand snobbery" but I was very surprised that a hitatchi would look (at least on initial inspection) so much better than the Sharp. It was a bit more expensive, though I think that I have since found it a bit cheaper on the net so not to bothered about that. It was also a damn bit cheaper than the equivalent Sony's/Panasonics.

One other thing that I liked about the Hitatchi was that according to the site at least it has TWO RGB scarts instead of one!

So seeing as its going in a VERY small bedroom (3 meters by 3 meters), is there any reason not to consider the Hitatchi?

If there is then what set would you reccomend for such a small bedroom. Budget around £800.00 It would ideally be widescreen otherwise theres not much point swopping. The main signal source is going to be Sky plus on RGB and a hundred quid jobbie dvd player.

Cheers and a happy new year!
  2. nugetto2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    forget the hitachi. it built by vestel, a turkish manufacturer (seg, etc.) , and hitachi put its badge on it. it has poor contrast, is plain ugly, a porr remote control and general a poor picture which would even be worse if the screen size were bigger.

even the really old sharp has a better picture once you adjsut the pciture controls. the philips is ok if you like its styling.