1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD - why is it so expensive ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by smallangryboy, May 6, 2003.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Due to size restrictions I'm thinking of getting an LCD TV and a projector (to use when I'm watching DVD's) for my lounge.

My question is why are LCD TV's so increadibly expensive ? I have a 17" Mitax monitor for my PC which is excellent, and cost me under £300.

Why then should a 17" LCD TV cost upwards of £600 ? Is a TV tuner and remote really worth an extra £300 ?

And if you want a sensible screen size like 20 - 22" you need a sceond mortgage.

SAB

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a 50" LCD screen at £50,000 on unbeatable's site- it's now gone. Pocket-change that. :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's certainly not a reasonable price for a tuner and remote!.....with the really large LCD screens,the price does come down to the costs of being able to manufacture screens that large with an acceptable dud pixel count,but like you,I can't really see the need for such a large price differential at the smaller screen sizes.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    LCDs are quite a new technology for TV use and the bigger the screen gets, the more expensive the production becomes (high rate of unusable displays to to faulty pixels).
    In comparision to an equal sized CRT even your 17" LCD PC monitor is expensive.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I was talking to a Panachronic rep at a show, last year, when they were still selling the 22inch ws model at GBP2500, and I asked him if they were likely to fall in price. He lied, of course, saying 'no' (they have) and justified this by saying that they were selling all they could make, at that price.

And that's the crux of it; supply and demand. If we (the public in general, as distinct from you and me personally) are prepared to buy them, then what is the motivation to reduce the price?

As Reiner says, as demand increases, so production quantities rise, and prices fall. This will continue to happen.

At the end of the day, products are generally priced, not according to what they actually cost to make (although that is just one of several factors) but rather, according to what thw manufacturers think the public will pay.

And we (generally, again) are mugs; we will pay exorbitant prices for cutting-edge technology. Always have; always will.

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Agreed.

I guess at the end of the day, the only way to stop this is to educate people as to the true value of something, and to inform them as to when they are truely getting ripped off so they can walk away...

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sony have just released their own 50 inch LCD - retails for £8500 but it does look fantastic when playing DVD (saw it in Bristol on Saturday and was staggered by it) So on Nathan's price for a 50 incher they are getting cheaper (the more practical 30 inch sony can be sourced for about £3000), It's like plasmas as they become more mainstream the price will fall.

8. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And not to mention the new NEC LCD 40" for 3200.