lcd warranty

F

fryman

Sorry this post is not quite to do with an lcd as such, but I think it is worth members being made aware of the following, if it is indeed correct.

A friend of mine has been having problems with her Toshiba lcd, which she bought from a highstreet retailer, and paid £200 extra for an extended warranty.

To get to the point, after a couple of months of botched repairs, the faulty tv was replaced with a brand new replacement.

She has now been told that the warranty for the original tv is not valid for the new one, and that she will have to cough up another £200 for a new warranty to cover the new set.

This is definately the gist of the story, if some of the finer detail is missing.

I would have thought the set should have been replaced under the terms of the manufacturers first year warranty, and the extended part would not have been claimed upon, therefore should be valid for the replacement set.

Am I missing something here, or is the retailer at it??

John

That's not actually unusual I am afraid.

However, I think that it is worth pursuing some clarity on the extended warranty and the age of the set - I'd suggest that she write to Head office and also perhaps to Toshiba. If Toshiba are actually replacing the set as faulty manafacturing, I think she'd have good grounds to ask the high st name to transfer the warranty over on the grounds that the claim was not in fact made under the warranty.

I have noticed when extended warranties are taken they go over the manufactor so for example they say you get 3 years you really only get extra 2 years.

What place was this? most times if the unit has to be replaced you will be given money for extended warranty back because the contract is now void for the new set.

Yes, I think that's your remedy: get a refund on the original cost of the extended warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom