1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD wall mounting advicerequired!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Car man sleeps, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my 32" 9986 from JL ... no problems (yet?) so v. happy INDEED!

I was drilling the holes for the wall-mount when I realised the wall wasn't brick, it's something (I later discovered) called Thermalite Turbo.

Does anyone know if this will support the weight of the TV (approx. 20Kg)? The fixings I've got are heavy-duty but say brick / concrete.

Also there's 13mm of plaster in front of the Thermalite, will that cause any problems?

Thanks very much
    Car man

2. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the same question when I mounted my TV and was told by a builder that using plugs wih Thermalite block would give strong mount. It appears to have done so.

The following is from the Thermalite web site:

http://www.thermalite.co.uk/content/208.chtml

Screws with plugs

e most common method of fixing into masonry, i.e. wood screws with plugs, is eminently suitable for use with Thermalite blocks. Both fibre Rawlplugs and plastic plugs, with either toothed or smooth sides, can be used successfully with Thermalite.

The strength of the bond between the fixing and the Thermalite block also depends critically on the size of hole used. The size of a drilled hole will depend upon a number of factors:

a) type of Thermalite block

b) size and type of drill bit (use a steel, not a masonry bit)

c) speed of drill (use as slow a speed as possible)

Correct use and suitable choice of drill size (always smaller than the diameter of the plug being installed) will produce a parallel-sided hole, into which the fixing has to be tapped home with a hammer.

An alternative method of producing a hole in Shield or Turbo material is to hammer in a straight steel bar, which can then be easily removed to leave a parallel-sided hole exactly the size of the bar.

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Although normal plugs can be OK in aerated block, they can also come loose and require careful drilling of the hole and no overtightening of the screw.

I would not use anything like the 'standard' brown smooth plugs, and would use one with a bit more grip.

Check out the various types of plug for aerated block available from places like www.screwfix.com or www.unifix-online.co.uk.

Your plug should be in the actual block and so should be recessed the depth of the plaster.

If after fiting the plug and screwing in the screw, you can lever the screw out easily with a claw hammer and light pressure, then you need another type. A chemical anchor/plug is really good for this type of block.

4. swilt1

swilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know where I can get a vesa 200x200 wall mount for a nice price :lease:

5. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, a bit scary as I've put it up anyway!

Woody please could you recommend a type for me? I've checked out the 2 links but am not much the wiser, I only found a couple but wasn't sure which sounded best

Car man

6. Vorix

Vorix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Go to www.fischer.co.uk/english/befestigung/befestigung_frame.html and a pop up of a virtual house will open. Click on living room and then click on a wall cupboard ( item 2). Click on aircrete block and you get 3 suggestions.

Suggestion 2 is a really good plug, but suggestion 1 will also do.

This will give you an idea of the type/style of plug to look for in the shops.

Or from screwfix, try www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101219&ts=21475 or these www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=21534&id=77888 with a normal plug.

Or these hammer fixings www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=21611&id=11429

B&Q stock many items that screwfix sells.

The main thing though, as someone has mentioned, is to drill a nice snug hole for the plug

8. Vorix

Vorix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Attached Files:

9. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used this one to put my Sharp 32GA4E on the wall. Worked a treat! :thumbsup: