1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD vs SED vs OLED

Discussion in 'OLED TVs' started by zamwessell, Jun 25, 2005.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I am holding off buying a 40"+ LCD display until HD source materials ( SKY HD,blu-ray,HD-DVD,next gen videogame consoles) are full go in the UK.

That could be as early as this autumn/winter....earlier than i expected.

I am hoping that the LCD sets out at that time will be good enough with faster response times etc.

The new Sony Qualia 46" due out later this year is catching my eye.

Are there any other sets due out that should be resolving most issues that bother larger LCD displays?

How long is it going to be before SED and OLED displays are available? I assume not for at least another year?

Any thoughts are welcome please.

2. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    It will be a good while before you see OLED screens in mass production, Samsung showed off a protoype 40" panel a short while ago but said they would be gearing up towards commercialization in 2007 so your probably looking around the latter half of 2007 before you see anything and thats if your optimistic about it.

3. Billo

Billo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Toshiba and Canon are looking into SED, though they say they have no plans to sell in Europe yet.They hope to have a 50inch screen for sale in Japan sometime next year.SED looks like a good replacement for the old CRT as they have similar brightness and high contrast with no need for a backlight.I'm sure it will be several years before they become mainstream products

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Ok...i think i can go ahead a purchase a decent LCD later this year.......fingers crossed that they will be approaching CRT quality.

Thanks for your comments

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    No doubt SED/OLED/all the new technologies won't be available too soon. The companies have all spent enough money in researching and improving LCD and will want to see their money's worth from it for a good while.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Approaching CRT quality?? For Hi Def LCD's are going to be vastly superior to CRT. CRT PQ is only generally thought to be superior to LCD as it is more suitable for displaying Standard Def broadcasts - ie CRT's low effective resolution nicely smooths out rubbish signal quality.

Hang onto your hats when you see a good LCD with Hi Def!

Jimmy

7. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "CRT's low effective resolution nicely smooths out rubbish signal quality. "

I have to disagree my father has a Marquee 9501 with X mods done and is capable of showing 1200P resolution and combined with inky blacks and dynamic range on/off CR ( 70,000:1 ) digital projection is a long way off yet from achieving that standard ....

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I realise there are some pretty souped-up CRT monitors (of standard TV Size) out there than can perform very well, (Given the geometry is adjusted correctly) but, typically and realistically CRT numbers are going to slowly diminish as I suspect no major manufacturer is going to bother trying to seriously market high performance CRT's in the UK.

There are a few in the States and no doubt a few will appear over here, but Flat Panel technology is going to see them off very soon.

Jimmy

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I think you'll find the Marquee 9501 is a CRT projector, not a monitor.

Steve

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Read it all back, and we didn't 'arf get our wires crossed there....

He.He.

Jimmy

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This makes the claim even more questionable... how can a projector ever produce black?

12. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "This makes the claim even more questionable... how can a projector ever produce black?"
    I guess you have never seen one then because it is one of the few " Monitors " and PJ's that when properly calibrated will do fade to absolute black ...

13. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A projector outputs light that hits a screen, and then reflects back to the viewer.
    To be able to reflect light, that screen cannot be black.
    Even when using back projection you cannot have a black screen.

What is the projector going to do to product an absolute black spot? It can completely turn off the beam at that spot, but then the screen is still there to reflect ambient light, including light reflected from other spots on the screen and back via the room. Your "absolute black" is going to look more like silver or pearl.
    The only way you can ever have absolute black this way is to have a completely darkened room with black walls and only this reflective screen in it.

LCD (or OLED), on the other hand, can use a black screen that does not reflect or output much light by itself. It can produce a black spot on an otherwise non-black picture without relying on room conditions.
    Current LCD screens are limited by the constant-level backlight and limited contrast of the pixels. Intensity-modulated backlights should improve that, and active systems like OLED will do the same. In a livingroom this should give better contrast than any projector, and probably it already does.

14. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then one has to have the basement room completely blacked out with felt to absorb the ambient light which is exactly what has been done in this case...

The other method would be to use a rear projected method and have the projector room completly blacked out both ways can achieve the same result..

15. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, there are some OLED screens appearing on Mobiles now too. Singularly nasty looking things thay are too. They'll improve with time though.

It'll be LCD's for the next two to four years yet.

Jimmy

17. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0