1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd vs plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by noyce, Sep 26, 2003.

1. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you help settle a dispute for me? Generally speaking , which technology offers the better picture?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you only want better best picture plasma is the winner.

3. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply mate, much appreciated!

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Says the almight jmack, owner of a Plasma ;-)

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for best picture quality i still dont think there is a lcd that can compare. imho

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I agree with jmack...

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    I don't agree. Which is the issue, really. They both have their shortcomings. It ends up being a matter of personal opinion.

Now, in the recent past, Plasmas have been cheaper, inch for inch, than LCDs. This gap is still there, but is closing. And the shortcomings of both platforms are reducing all the time.

However, with cheaper Plasmas, people wanting a large flat screen will have been predisposed to go for Plasma, quite understandably, because of price. And there's no doubt that Plasmas can be very good.

Equally understandably, having got one, they will tend to proclaim it as the best thing. The point is, there WILL be an imbalance of opinion simply because of the greater number of Plasmas out there.

Go see for yourself. They differ, certainly. If you prefer one, then that is what is best. As for opinions of preference - I predict they will even out in a year or so. I also predict that LCD will ultimately overtake Plasma completely.

8. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd agree that from a technical standpoint (resolution, power, resistance to screen burn etc) LCD has some advantages but I have never, EVER, seen an LCD display a natural looking image befitting a display half the cost let alone the premiums attached to them.
    I also don't believe LCD will replace Plasma. I think it'll be more like recordable DVD in that by the time a winner starts to pull ahead, they'll both be made obsolete by a newer technology and there's a few of those on the horizon...;)

9. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But will a plasma still have the best picture after a few years of use?

AFAIK, a LCD will not suffer the degradation that a plasma does.

Another thing, I really think you need to see the plasma and LCD actually in-situ where you intend to place it - as things such as viewing distance, light sources etc can have a dramatic effect on the "percieved" quality, which is different to the technical performance.

woody

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As an owner of neither, here's my 2p worth. Plasma offers better black levels, and possibly more 'filmic' image, but LCD has some killer advantages, and as cotrast ratios rise and price falls, plasma's days will be numbered. I think it's probably a technological cul-de sac. But it's the best available now, and if they'd get the resolutions right, and not b**** it up with foolishness, they'd be better still. LCD are all square pixel designs, as they have strong roots in PC technology, which makes them well qualified for my brand of HC.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well Maw thats not really correct is it. My understanding of LCD is that it is not actually possible to improve the Contrast ratio of LCD much above the current levels, limitation of the technology.

There are also MAJOR problems getting LCD panels above 42" in size the so called "Sag" effect.

The post asked what offers better quality Plasma or LCD. The answer is Plasma by a mile. It is also cheaper per inch when you look at the costs at the moment.

Also moving forward Plasma is still only out there in small numbers. As with anything the more they sell the cheaper it gets (Just look how cheap DVD players are now) I am of course not saying they will get anywhere near that cheap but I can see a point in the future where the cost of Plasma will fall considerably.

I can certainly see a budget 42" Plasma Screen available in 12 months time at around the £1000 - £1500 mark the cost of a 36" CRT at the moment.

And at that point how many people are going to buy them. What will be finished in the next 5 years is CRT (Especially in terms of the PC market where LCD is taking over completely).

Also "Halflife" of a plasma screen in average home use (4 - 5 hours a day) is 12 - 15 years. I only have mine running at 50% now and it looks great ! How long do you expect these things to last. I will be bored of mine in three years and will want something else.

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm sure I read something recently that someone's come up with a clever ruse to reduce the backlight leakage that results in the poor contrast in LCDs. Of course I can't remember for the life of me where that was, so I may just have made that up.

Personally, as an owner of both (because you can, of course, make a valid comparison between a 17" LCD and a 42" PDP :rolleyes: ), plasma wins right now. But who can tell what the future holds ... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Carl.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Harrisuk, remember Jurassic park? Dr Malcolm was proved right, nature finds a way, and I have no doubt that, given the companies throwing their weight into the LCD camp, science and R&D will find a way too. I answered the question with your point already made, right now plasma is best, my speculations are the harmless pastimes of a sad old git, don't mock the afflicted.

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    carbon nanotubes are supposed to be 'the next big thing'. There is going to be a demo of a 14" black and white screen this winter, and the inventors have just announced a research project with big backers to get a full colour version for spring next year.

Motorola apparantly said they will be selling 50+" flat carbon nanotube TVs for <$1000 by 2005.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've seen that too, we'll see won't we. I expect, like plasma and LCD, and indeed CRT, it'll take them a while to get it right, then another while to make the blacks black and the colours just right.

16. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demoed a 30" Philips LCD display to day with Pixel Plus. I have never seen a picture with so much detail. Compared to the LG that was running as well, it was stunning. I am very tempted.

Oh and hi all I just joined