LCD vs Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by spidey2k7, Jan 23, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok so this argument has probably been quite frequent on these forums, but I would appreciate anyones input with regard to which of the following units they would choose:-

Samsung LE37M87BD

or

Panasonic TH37PX70

I have a 360 Premium, and SD DVD Player and Digibox. So which do you think I would benefit most from people?

2. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone?

3. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you watch lots of sd tv and want to use your sd dvd player, then the panasonic plasma is the best choice

However if you play high def game consoles a lot, want to connect your pc and get a high def dvd player in the future - then the hd lcd may be the best choice

Simple as that really

4. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Probably not the answer you are looking for but you need to choose the one you think is better. Some people prefer LCDs and others Plasma. I currently have a Samsung 40" LCD as i use it as my PC monitor as well as my TV, which is an instance where an LCD cant be beaten IMO. It really is superb.

Is plasma perfect - NO
    Is LCD perfect - NO

Take your pick and live with it. :D.

5. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Which SD-DVD player do you have? feed an LCD with a good one and the results can be excellent. The PS3 for example makes DVD on the Samsung look very nice, so good infact i feel no need to buy anything Blu-ray.

6. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's just a bog standard Philips player, dont recall the model number. Think this is going to be a tough decision.

I'm interested in hooking the PC up to the TV, and if there is any chance of outputting 1080p via vga on the 360, then maybe the Samsung is the way to go.

I just want my existing equipment to display ok, and I've been told by a friend, and also read a few opinions on here that SD is displayed better on a Plasma.

7. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    LCDs handle poor signal and low bitrate sources worse than Plasmas. IMO LCDs are sharper which can add to the viewing experience quite a lot , i cant say what is best now but all i know is that i am happy with my LCD after owning a plasma aswell. Definitely the way to go for your gaming tho is the Samsung, no worries about any potential screen burn issues. Just had to send my Hitachi due to screen burn.

Any chance in investing in an upscaling DVD player to go with it? will bring the best out of your DVDs and they have come down a lot in price.

But this is just me, you may prefer plasma. Have you seen any TVs in action? if so what were your thoughts?

8. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't looked at any upscaling players to be honest. Have you got one? I think I may see how I get one with the standard one and go from there.

I have seen a few, nipped out on my break the other day for a quick look in Currys, trouble is with that place is that the aerial feeds they demo the tv's with is poor so it was difficult to see much difference in quality.

9. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeh that is true. their feeds always seem to suck.

What do you like in a picture? Rich colors, vibrant colors etc?

10. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm wanting something with sharp clarity, main use will primarily be the 360 but I'm also hoping it can handle sports too without too much distortion.

11. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    what is your viewing distance?

12. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Around 9ft

13. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Should be fine at that distance. As for sport, some people notice blurring worse than others. I rarely notice it and my TV is an older model. Then again only you can tell. I would rather buy an LCD and exchange for a Plasma if i didnt like it ,rather than buying a Plasma and then getting burn and having no basis for a return. Not saying that you will get burn, but it still does happen.

The Samsung will look awsome with your 360 tho thats for sure :D you can play away without having to worry about taking any breaks to stop any retention. most peple advise you run in your plasma for the first 200 hours as well on low settings as this is where they are most prone to retention and burn

14. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some good points there, thanks for the info. I think I will do a bit more research on the Samsung. I need to find out if I can get 1080p output via component or vga, as I have an older 360 which you can't output with hdmi.

15. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    please let me know what you decide. drop me a message if you like. hope i helped a bit.

16. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will do, may go have a look at the weekend, see if I can make a decision... I'm very undecisive at times so this could take a few attempts before I finally part with my cash :D

17. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    best way mate. Sure you will make the right decision, takes some of us several attempts to get the right TV lol.

18. McFaber

McFaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    chamill,
    Plasma panels are no more susceptible to screen burn than LCD or even CRT for that matter.
    There was a burn problem with the older generation (6g) pioneers which seemed to affect screens at random, which to me sounds like dodgy quality control practises used by Pioneer at that time...:thumbsdow

Possibly you could be getting your wires crossed with image retention...;)
    This is down the user being too enthusiastic with their contrast and brightness controls.....:rolleyes:

Spidey,
    I have a Sharp Aquos LCD and a Panasonic PH9 and to me, certainly for SD viewing, the Panasonic plasma is miles ahead of the Sharp LCD in terms of picture quality....btw I'm a really fussy bugger about picture quality.

LCD is fine as solution to getting a half decent size screen into ones room and to most people this is a acceptable solution, but at the end of the day, it's a compromised solution, hence at the expense of pq.

Best thing is to view of couple of screens yourself, LCD and Plasma and then you can come to your own conclusion....:thumbsup:

19. zackw1234

zackw1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So have you decided on which one you are going to get? Let us know how it goes.

20. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That is an incredibly missleading statement to make. It is a fact that Plasma screens are more succeptible to screen burn that CRTs for a start. LCDs on the other hand dont get screen burn (they are not phosphor based), just screen faults is what you are seeing.

As a major manufacturer how many Plasmas they get back with Screen Burn and the answer will not be none.

So what was i seeing on my Hitachi i recently returned with the words Active and a red button burnt in to the display?

I used to run my CRT on Dynamic and NEVER saw a hint of retention. Retention is Very common on plasma displays and burn is certainly still an issue for me.

21. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Don't get too hung up on 1080p over component or VGA. 360 games are, in the majority, 720p native resolution anyway and the processing power needed to handle 1080p exceeds what the 360 has got for all but quite basic games. 720p over component or the TV's native resolution over VGA will look good.

Personally, when I was looking I found 37inch LCD at a normal viewing distance of 9ft or so was fine for SD. Over 37 then the plasma was better for SD. Of course both were excellent for HD/Xbox. I chose a panasonic 42PZ70 plasma in the end.

22. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Well they may not suffer from screen burn, but they can suffer from image persistance.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

It will probably take some time of displaying a static image, but they are not immune to the problem. So your statement is quite misleading too isnt it.

23. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Something not mentioned here is the running costs:

LCDs of 37-40" typically use 150-200 watts, whereas plasma panels of the same size can use 500 watts typically, way more than double.

Over the course of a year, you'll probably be spending in excess of £200 extra in electric, over and above what you'd be watching the lcd.

Whilst a good lcd, properly calibrated can be almost as good as a plasma, they can never reach the black depth and motion tracking will always be very slightly worse.

Having said that, I have 3 flat panel tvs n the house, and all 3 are lcds. I have had the opportunity to go down the plasma route only this week (and I could have saved a few bob too on the purchase price), but Iv'e chosen another LCD.

Cheers,

Mike

24. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Well LCD use a constant power consumption as they are backlit. Plasma power consumption varies with the image, so this is not an accurate comparison unless you are showing a constant white screen on both sets. Most current models of plasma are rated at between 220 and 310 watts for a 50-inch on average.

25. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I've got to take issue with you on this:

LCDs do use a constant backlight, granted. However, power figures are for the backlight on full and typically, you'll have the backlight set to less than 50% of this. Now I'm not saying that this will reduce the consumption by 50%, but it will reduce it.

Now plasmas are often quoted as a typical power consumption, which is what you referred to.

Take the Panasonic PZ700 range for example:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp

You can download the manuals from here and they quote average power consumption as folows:

42" - 494w
    50" - 569w
    58" - 675w

I think you'll have to concede, this is a fair bit higher than you said and is in line with my original quotes.

For comparison, the Sony V3000 range is:

40" - 193w
    46" - 238w

Manuals available here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tv/lcd/lcd.asp?l=en&sc=LCD&m=KDL-40V3000

Cheers,

Mike

26. spidey2k7

spidey2k7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I change my mind like the wind! At the minute I am leaning towards LCD, but I doubt I will make a solid decision till I have seen some sets in action.

Thanks for all your input guys. Will keep you posted.:smashin:

27. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    For your needs, i would look at an LCD personally.

28. punkymunky

punkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I have a CRT TV a plasma TV and and LCD TV.

Plasma TVs do not use more power, the power figures quoted are maximum outputs i.e when the screen is on full dynamic mode displaying a white screen on full brightness.

I use a 360 with the plasma and have never had any retention or burn, the latest Panasonic plasmas can show at static image on full brightness for 3 months 24/7 without any problems and be used for 90 years before they reach half brightness, it really is not a problem.

The plasma standard definition picture is almost as good as my CRT with poor quality channels but with a much bigger picture, and better with average and higher quality channels e.g. BBC1. On a scale of 1-10, if plasma was 9, the LCD would be 4 in this regard.

The only time the LCD is of any use is when connected to my PC showing a static image, however when I flick my eyes to the plasma after looking at the LCD screen for a while it really blows you away how much richer the colours are and how much more depth the picture has.

Bear in mind also that a full high def screen is only going to be distinguishable from a 720p screen at sizes of at least 50" and above at a normal viewing distance.

Most people who recommend LCDs here, don't have a plasma because they think it's old tech, it will burn out, need re-gassing or the bloke in the shop told them to get an LCD and therefore don't know what they are missing.

An LCD with a resolution of 1080 lines will only resolve around 500 lines during movement (television) due to poor reponse times of a panel (even with 4 ms) which was only ever designed (in the early 1970's) to show static images so really you are paying for something that you are not getting. Plasmas were first released in the 1990's (i.e newer technology) and were always designed to show a moving image hence the response time of 0.01 milliseconds.

At the end of the day it's your money, I just want you to be happy :)

29. chamill

chamill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    lol there is a lot of difference between that and screen burn tho isnt there. Several of hours on static is enough to burn some plasmas. Have NEVER seen an LCD with 'Persistence' but have seen a few Plasmas and have heard of another load on forums etc. that have burn.

Where on earth do you get those figures from? 3 months on static, it would be more like 3 days and i still wouldnt be to sure then. 90 days??? i would do some research before posting that sort of comment

30. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Wrong - see the manufacturers own data. The links I posted to Panasonic for example are quite specificly labelled as AVERAGE power consumption.

Wrong - I work for the country's largest independant tv company and we have to bin plasma panels that are normally used for static logo displays every time the program rebrands as the old logo is plainly visible behind the new one!

I quite agree with your comments on full HD on sets under about 50" though and yes, in general, plasmas will handle motion better than an LCD.

Cheers,

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.