LCD vs. Plasma. What's the deal?

S

Scott Branick

Hey all, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've finally decided to put a home theater system together, but I don't know too much about A/V equipment. First off, my biggest question is, what is the difference between a plasma screen and an LCD screen? Is one generally thought of as being better than the other? How much do these things go for? Also, I'm a big fan of videogames, so are they subject to burn in or things like that? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

ijd

there are many many threads already covering the questions you ask, using the search function at the top of this page will give you all the answers, instead of this becoming yet another lcd v plasma thread,
It is greatly down to personal choice,

Ewoody

Hey all, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've finally decided to put a home theater system together, but I don't know too much about A/V equipment. First off, my biggest question is, what is the difference between a plasma screen and an LCD screen? Is one generally thought of as being better than the other? How much do these things go for? Also, I'm a big fan of videogames, so are they subject to burn in or things like that? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

read this ...
http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

Mike999

Just spend a few quid a buy some of the mags like Home Cinema Choice, What HiFi SOund & Vision and similar. They have all the answers you need.

Osamede

First I would start by asking what size of screen you want. If you are looking for 32" or less, you only really have LCD's as options. At 37", you have a few plasmas to chose from, not many. Then at 40 or 42" is where you haveneough options that the debate really begins.

In other words if this is for a small room, or a room you are sitting relatively close to the screen, like you may be headed for LCD anyway since you need a smaller screen.

So that may generate a quick cutoff for you. Otherwise then you have to go into the detailed research and debate.

jpb82

If home theater is your only application then plasma is definitely the way to go, IMO you should only consider an lcd if you spend a fair amount of time gaming.

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
In fact one of the biggest weaknesses of LCD is the loss of perceived resolution that they suffer on moving images. This can have a big impact on the level of detail that is actually visible on screen.

When comparing even a 1024x768 plasma to 1080P LCD the loss of detail on the LCD in moving images is still very apparent even on the latest generation LCDs.

Neil

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Just spend a few quid a buy some of the mags like Home Cinema Choice, What HiFi SOund & Vision and similar. They have all the answers you need.

Then wipe your arse with it they are clueless monkeys who wouldnt know good picture if it slapped them in the chops

chambeaj

Then wipe your arse with it they are clueless monkeys who wouldnt know good picture if it slapped them in the chops

LOL!

Someone had to say it :rotfl:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
When comparing even a 1024x768 plasma to 1080P LCD the loss of detail on the LCD in moving images is still very apparent even on the latest generation LCDs.

Very true, but its surprising how many people are driven by how many pixels a display has. :rolleyes:

SimonTSM

Those magazines are like The Sun or Daily Diana is to newpapers. Glossy magazines, which are powered by marketing to sway reviews.

Ok, I may like Fujitsu, but WHF give them 2 or 3 stars. Some stars are lost because of silly things.

I once went to a conference and the editor of What Hi-Fi was going to do a presentation. At the time, they had a newish editor (some women, Claire? I think she may still be the editor) who had been there for around 4-5 months. To our surprise, Andy Clough did the presentation. From speaking afterwards, I found she had no clue in hi-fi or AV, but knew a lot on caravans as she worked on What Caravan for many years. :rolleyes:

At least since the last time I went around Haymarket they have had a new demo room. The old one was awful, they were reviewing equipment in a room similar to a domestic conservatory. :suicide:

Bumtious

Banned
I dont think there is a panel that can do both games and normal tv viewing yet.

If you game more, go for lcd, if watching TV, ie sky, freeview dvd go for plasma.

What ever you go for there will be compromise.

As far as I'm concerned plasma wins hands down, not even close for film or broadcast which is what "most" people will view.

LCD is a very artificial picture which looks great with artificial computer generated games.

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
I have an LCD and a plasma and always game on the plasma, looks much nicer.
Also I have never had a problem with screen burn, had a 435 Pioneer and an NEC and they did suffer, but the Panasonic has been left with the Singstar menu on screen for over 12 hours and even that was not a problem.

Osamede

Those magazines are like The Sun or Daily Diana is to newpapers. Glossy magazines, which are powered by marketing to sway reviews.....I once went to a conference and the editor of What Hi-Fi was going to do a presentation. At the time, they had a newish editor (some women, Claire? I think she may still be the editor) who had been there for around 4-5 months. To our surprise, Andy Clough did the presentation. From speaking afterwards, I found she had no clue in hi-fi or AV, but knew a lot on caravans as she worked on What Caravan for many years. :rolleyes:

At least since the last time I went around Haymarket they have had a new demo room. The old one was awful, they were reviewing equipment in a room similar to a domestic conservatory. :suicide:
I wouldnt think that actually matters, odd as it sounds. The job of editor is not about being a subject matter expert - although that inevitably comes with tenure on the job. An editors job is to make a coherent product that the punters will find compelling and worth buying. That is as much about cover pictueres, layouts, themes and types of articles comissioned as anything else.

Its the writers you need to worry about - they are the ones who need to know the technical details of subject matter - and use that write a story that the editor thinks the readers will find compeling enough to fork over money.

So in that sense the editor of a hi-Fi magazine can very well be good person to go and head up a car magazine - and vice versa.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom