LCD vs PLASMA: IS GLARE LESS OF A DECIDING FACTOR?

A

artafernes

In my humble opinion, plasma is better than lcd for ordinary tv viewing in terms of picture quality but, since I have my TV opposite a bay window, I always thought that my choice should be nevertheless lcd, because of the less reflective screen.
However, I have been noticing lately when visiting the shops that with the new lcds with more contrast and ultra clear panels etc, there is less of a difference between plasma and lcd on that area, so my question is: has glare stopped being one of the deciding factors between plasma and lcd?

ziffius

Novice Member
Answer: no.

It's mainly just the Samsung's that have a super reflective screen, there are many others that don't. You can't judge the value of all LCDs based on just one manufacturer.

In the scenario of having a TV opposite a window bay, one of these other TV's would be far more suitable than either the reflective Samsung's or a Plasma.

While I prefer the picture quality of the Panasonic Plasmas, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole due to the flickering. I could never go back to a TV/ monitor with flicker, it wrecks my eyes.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Answer: no.

It's mainly just the Samsung's that have a super reflective screen, there are many others that don't. You can't judge the value of all LCDs based on just one manufacturer.

In the scenario of having a TV opposite a window bay, one of these other TV's would be far more suitable than either the reflective Samsung's or a Plasma.

While I prefer the picture quality of the Panasonic Plasmas, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole due to the flickering. I could never go back to a TV/ monitor with flicker, it wrecks my eyes.
And just to add to the above... If you're really serious about the picture quality and viewing experience, you'd close the bay window curtains. ;)

Paul

P.s. I have one of the Samsung panels with the 'Super Clear' panels and it sits perpendicular, around 3' away from French doors, in a south facing aspect. It has to be a very bright day to affect our viewing pleasure, with the curtains open.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
And just to add to the above... If you're really serious about the picture quality and viewing experience, you'd close the bay window curtains. ;)

Paul

P.s. I have one of the Samsung panels with the 'Super Clear' panels and it sits perpendicular, around 3' away from French doors, in a south facing aspect. It has to be a very bright day to affect our viewing pleasure, with the curtains open.
Why close the curtains? I have a 37" Panny LCD sitting virtually dead middle on one long wall of a 22x11 ft lounge where all 3 other walls are about 50% window with the longest aspect is south facing. Biggest problem is in high summer where in late evening the western sun can get low enough to shine direct on TV. So I just rotate TV on excellent rotating stand to face away. Panny viewing angles are such that this makes virtually no impact on PQ, but may shift seating to get more face on view.

If you do not like too bright pictures in completely darkened rooms then use an ambient light compensation setting mode such as "Eco" on Panny TV's?

A

artafernes

OK, I may not be serious about picture clarity and viewing experience but the problem is that oher members of my family may be doing other things while I wacht tv, such as reading or using a computer and they appreciate having natural light and besides I do not have thicck curtains but only lace.
Anyway, I used to have a CRT tv and it was really difficult watching tv during daytime, switched to LCD and it is OK as far as reflectivity is concerned, but less so in terms of picture quality so I am considerig tryng plasma now.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
OK, I may not be serious about picture clarity and viewing experience but the problem is that oher members of my family may be doing other things while I wacht tv, such as reading or using a computer and they appreciate having natural light and besides I do not have thicck curtains but only lace.
Anyway, I used to have a CRT tv and it was really difficult watching tv during daytime, switched to LCD and it is OK as far as reflectivity is concerned, but less so in terms of picture quality so I am considerig tryng plasma now.
Out of interest, what LCD panel are you using?

My experience of the 2 LCD panels I own is that they can be made to match/better the picture quality of CRT displays, with SD (even ITV). That's through a SkyHD box but, I expect the same will be true with a good freeview, V+ or Sky source.

It would be a shame to go to the expense and effort of switching to a plasma screen and end up in the same predicament as you were with the CRT display (highly likely I'd expect).

Paul

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Also depends how old the CRT was that is being compared, was it one of the later ones with a flat panel or a older curved one ?

If it was a curved one they were really bad with reflections which is why they designed the flat tube sets to reduce glare and reflection.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom