LCD VS LCoS and general projector ideas/advice please

Christofy

Standard Member
Hi

I very recently bought a reconditioned epson tw5910 which I am very impressed with (the wife and kids also love it which is a massive bonus) However after only 1 month I am already thinking of upgrading in 3-6 months time as I'm now like a kid I'm a sweet shop. Never knew a projector for that money could give such a detailed picture.

What I have at the moment is lcd but have been reading up on lcos projectors a bit.
I paid £445 for my 5910. Would I have to spend a lot more for a noticeable improvement.
If I upgraded I would be looking to spend around £800-1k but defo no more. I am happy looking for a used/recon model if you believe I would get more for my money or am I best keeping the 5910 and saving more ££££

Thanks
Chris

Gilbers

The buzz of getting your first projector setup will be very hard to equal - I'm afraid that beyond this point it's very much diminishing returns. That's not to say you can't see worthwhile improvements, but you have to be realistic. it's not going to compete with the thrill of firing up a 100" display for the first time!

It sounds as if your current model is still giving you the wow factor, so my advice would be to stay away from these forums and enjoy what you have for at least a year or so. By then you'll have a much better idea of what shortcomings (if any) you want to address with an upgrade.

Christofy

Standard Member
Gilbert, I think you may be right. Yes my current projector is doing a great job. I can't see why more people don't have one. 2 mates are now on the lookout.
Il calm down, regroup and give mine a good run then.

Thanks
Chris

Christofy

Standard Member
Yes you could be right. I have already ordered blackout backings for the curtains but got to work on the wife with regards to changing the colour of the walls and curtains to something darker. She has come round to having a light matt cookie dough colour on the walls but I dont want it to be to dark for normal use.
Think I need to move so I can have a dedicated room

Christofy

Standard Member
I just had a look at your setup TR. Very impressive. This is mine. Only had projector in for a month so nothing like yours. Unfortunately the walls are light but as you can see in the pic it does darken down ok. I got a grey screen also which helps with blacks.
IMG-20151106-WA0002.jpeg

True Romance

Distinguished Member
That doesn't look to bad for refections but difficult to tell off a photo. Have a look in the shows and events sections for dealer open days so you can see a number of different PJ's in action to compare against your set up. You'll also get the opportunity to chew the fat with fellow members ;)

Christofy

Standard Member
cheers TR. Will do

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom